Send us a suggestion!

Freeze Fest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Patterson, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

So, who's all going to Freeze Fest?

I haven't gone for 10 years and was wondering who all was going to be there and when.

I'll probably arrive the night of the 27th and leave the 29th.
  2. Ram

Ram

I suspect the usual suspects will all be on hand. Be there or be talked about;)
  3. dweaver2130

dweaver2130 Canyoneering Duo from AZ

We are planning on being there, though we probably won't make it until the 30th.
  4. SCard

SCard

Hmmmm. Watched a few of Dan's videos of Freezefest yesterday, I still wear my Freezefest sweatshirt proudly but not sure when/if I can get away this year. Hoping.....

Freezefest is an experience where you will question your sanity every minute while enduring it and afterwards, when you are thinking about it, you will look back on it with great memories, fondness for those with whom you endured, and excitement for the next grand adventure in ice water.
    EvergreenDean and Kevin like this.
  5. Mike Zampino

Mike Zampino Canyon season never ends.

We are going to try and make it on the 28th-31st.

Where does someone get more info?
  6. Ram

Ram

Digging through old posts. This one from 2007 with some modifications to bring it up to date

Just touching base about the 6th Annual FreezeFest. There is no form or format for FreezeFest. The event is open to all. The approximate dates of the fest are December 26th-January 3rd. People come and go as they please. They form their own plans and do the canyons that interest them. Support is provided for those who request it. Plans for canyons are mostly made the evening before and are based on weather and local conditions. There are dozens of good to great canyons right out of camp to within 1.5 hours drive away. There is no formal leadership. If one is interested in doing a particular canyon, then mention it and take as many folks as you feel comfortable having along. Each group of people should plan to have whatever equipment they deem appropriate for the adventures they wish to do. Three to eight different trip options go out on most days. Most choose dry canyons, most days, but having a wide range of thermal protection options is handy, as is a second pair of canyon shoes, if you have them.

The base camp for the event is at the roadside campsite known as Sandthrax, at the 28.2 mile marker on highway 95, between Hanksville and Hite. This site has no facilities. Five miles down the road is Hogs Springs Picnic Area. There is a dumpster and bathroom facilities there. Please do your duty there.
    Be considerate of the natural vegetation: do not drive, park or camp on vegetation - use the roads and already-de-nuded areas.. A few nights the site might be a bit crowded. We have campfires most nights, providing some warmth and light for the lively evening socials. It is requested that folks bring firewood (nothing treated). Base the amount on the length of your stay. A few larger tents, if folks have them, provide shelter on evenings when it is wet or too windy for fires. Some have even heated such with portable propane units, in the past. A folding chair adds comfort. Temperatures and conditions vary widely. Often it is in the 40's during the day and in the teens overnight. Plus and minus 20 degrees has been experienced in past fests. Tom has suggesting an informal potluck on New Year's Eve. Tom, this year too? Make something special and share it with others.

Last year we had 74 folks over the 10 days. I suspect less folks this year, if the weather and conditions don't cooperate, and less Internet spin on it. I also suspect that numbers will peek the 28th-29st. Lots of people share food and drink, but again, nothing formal.The Black Hole is the only scheduled canyon, on the 1st. Some are sane and go elsewhere that day. Some of us are pledging money for each person that descends the Black Hole on the first. The money is pledged to the Great Old Broads for Wilderness. Feel free to contribute if you like.

greatoldbroads.org in the name of freezeFest

If anyone has any questions or concerns, ask away. I am here till the 23rd, Tom a few days longer.many others have come for years and will help too. Additional information, both nuance and recycle, potty issues etc., will also be broached. We hope you come and join us. It is Freezefest XII BTW
  7. Ram

Ram

The old "how to" list has evolved, but stands up mostly. This copied from around 2004

• To FreezeFest or not to FreezeFest.......???

Here a few of the things I have learned.....

1-A super warm sleeping bag is heavenly
      2-A back up bag, squeezed under a seat in the car, gives piece of mind and
      doesn't take up much room
      3-Three foam pads is mighty comfortable and warm
      4-A 60 gallon trash liner, to keep personal gear frost free and dry, next to
      your sleeping arrangements, works well
      5-More 60 gallon, heavy duty liners, for wet gear. Ca't bring too many.
      6-Lots of firewood, for those endless evening hours.
      7-Interesting companions, with the gift of gab. A must
      8-Spirits, for the illusion of warmth and the illusion of the gift of gab.
      9-Dehydration at bedtime. That 3AM pee is worth avoiding. Hydrate in the AM
      10-Layers of clothing, for the campsite. If you don't feel like the Michelin
      Man or a blow up doll, put on some more clothes
      11-Hot breakfasts.
      12-Stove, pot, water and matches, right next to your bed.
      13-Ten course dinners. Eat all you want, lose weight. A truly effective diet.
      14-Package your lunches for every day, at home in the warmth of the house,
      before the trip. Grab a bag every day, rather than pack up in the cold
      15-I have 5 pairs of neo socks. Most of the week is over before a wet one
      goes on the feet, in the morning
      16-A little warm water, from the stove, unfreezes those shoes and is nice and
      cozy
      17-Old, shredded wet suits, make great garb, for MOSTLY dry canyons. The
      occasional waist deep pool is a non issue, the system is warm and it is great body
      armor in the tight world of many a canyon.
      18-A different dry, shredded wet suit, for the first 3 days, is heaven. By
      day 4, a suit and some socks have dried.
      19-A pair of waterproof, Air Force Mickey Mouse/bunny boots, insulated to -50
      below zero for the campsite. If the feet are happy, your happy.... and
      fashionable too.
      20-Cheese, yogurt and fresh fruit need no cooler. Keep them deep enough in
      the car prevent freezer burn.
      21-Haven't discovered at what temperature scotch freezes yet.
      22-Extra ground sheets create layering and segregation of wet gear, in the
      vehicle. Critical!
      23-A LARGE community tent, for when the wind blows too hard, for a safe fire
      24-Heaters and a generator to warm that big tent
      25-It is always comfortable in the canyons proper
      26-It is often very uncomfortable on the AM bench land approach to the canyon
      27-It's generally not worth carrying extra gear to stay warm that first hour,
      as it is often not needed the rest of the day
      28-Flashlights in the pack, in the sleeping bag, in the car, everywhere!
      29-Canyon water can only get so cold and it is never as bad in reality, as
      the anticipation
      30-FreezeFests have lots of return customers. It's getting new folks over
      their prejudice and out on a trip, that is the hard part.
      31-Soccer Mom chairs, for in the big tent or around the fire are worth their
      weight in gold
      32-Cooking tables make excellent wind breaks, when laid on their side.
      33-Go ahead, eat some more!
      34-The inside of a convenience store feels really weird after 4-5 days of
      being only outside.
      35-Dusty dirt insulates and works as sunscreen
      36-Water freezes in canyons, in the open areas next to narrow places and
      stays liquid in the darkest and narrowest places.
      37-All reptiles and FreezeFesters know that there is always a place, often
      sunny and always out of the wind, to be comfortable in.
      38-A mid winter trips helps the sanity between the prime fall and spring
      seasons
      39-Let the beard and hair grow. Shaggy is warmer
      40-A January 1st Black Hole is an eloquent way to start the year.
      41-FreezeFest partners have a build in "No Whining" filter. They laugh or
      smile big smiles, all the time and are a joy to be around.
      42-Extra shoes, floor heaters, vans and big tents..yeah!

I'm sure others can add to this list of "what makes it work."
      Ram
  8. msmnificent

msmnificent Moderator Staff Member

Don't forget to being lots of firewood!
    Please don't throw trash in the fire. I'll bring cans for cleaning up around the campfire-- one for trash and one for recycling. They'll be clearly marked and conveniently located near the campfire. I'll be there by the 28th at the latest, and possibly earlier. Looking forward to seeing everyone, but not looking forward to the cold snowy conditions. :cold:
    canyoncaper likes this.
  9. Mike Zampino

Mike Zampino Canyon season never ends.

Is a magnesium engine block considered "trash" or "fuel"? :cold:
  10. EvergreenDean

EvergreenDean Master of the obvious

Tequila. Lots of tequila.
    canyoncaper likes this.
  11. Ram

Ram

I have to ask. She always tells me she has it covered, but ask I do anyway....Alicia? Are the Kahlua brownies gonna make it down for the fest? you bringing them? Sending with someone else? Thanks for the wonderful tradition :wavespin:
  12. ratagonia

ratagonia

From Alicia
    OMG! I almost forgot the damn brownies! Thanks for the reminder, Ram! They will be on Malia's porch this afternoon and they will be transported tenderly to the waiting masses at Freezefest!
    Alicia
  13. gloo

gloo

I might be doing some last min canyons in the area, so I might be popping my head in.
    Bill likes this.
  14. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

So how was it? :cold:
    I've seen a few pics on FB but I wish someone would start a FF'13-14 thread to showcase all the photos in one location.
  15. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I was only there for December 27-28. I took my 11 year old son. It wasn't mildly chilly, but not bad at all. 16-20F in the mornings and 30's during the day.

We did Hog 1 on the first day including a walk down to the highway and seeing the pictograph/petroglyphs. Hog 1 was dry except for some snow.

Day 2 we did Monkey Business. It had several waste deep pools to wade through. I was going to carry my son across, but dropped him in the water while trying to bust my way through the ice.

I don't have my camera with me, but here's a couple photos.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Canyonbug, Kuenn, Bill and 1 other person like this.
  16. ratagonia

ratagonia

great first pic there Scott - who's shot is that?

Tom
    Scott Patterson likes this.
  17. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

It's mine. I meant I don't have my camera (that I took the photos with) with me right now, so am limited to the photos I already posted somewhere else (more specifically my trip log).

http://www.summitpost.org/2013-trip-log/833850

I actually took more photos that I can post later. They are at home on the computer.

We're headed for the San Rafael (with Swett Creek as a backup depending on snow conditions) in a couple hours. Too bad I couldn't have just stayed down there.
  18. Mike

Mike epic blarneys

Impossible to find the RSS link
    dweaver2130, gajslk and Bill like this.
  19. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

Awesome shot!
    Mike likes this.
  20. Ram

Ram

FreezeFest was attended at 50 people this year. This is the third largest attendance ever, but a substantial decrease from the 73 and 77 of the last two years. This decrease was likely a result of less Internet spin before the event. Further, the way the dates fell this year, there were two spikes of visitation, the weekend of the 27th-29th and the time around the 1st, which seemed to make it feel less crowded. The mood was light. The campground not as packed. Thirty-two males and 18 females attended, which is the closest gender ratio yet, up from the usual 20-25% female in the past. The Fest lasted from the 26th-2nd. The Black Hole attracted 30 folks this year, surpassing the record of 27. Sub groups formed within the larger whole, as groups took from 4 to 6+ hours for the passage. The Hole proper had somewhat low water, so less swims than normal, but still plenty of swimming. There was lots of ice, yet temperatures were warm enough, getting into the 40's, that wet spots were not not icing up, except in a few spots and early in the day only. Two sections were challenging with thick broken ice making passage slow and difficult. Another traditional swim was frozen solid. The exit was snow covered, but clear low down on the slabs and steep spots, so no fixed lines were needed.

I'm making my annual request to all the FF participants and lurkers here to make their "wilderness tithe" to Great Old Broads @ greatoldbroads.org/. I will be making my contribution today, $2 for each descender. Help if you can please.

FreezeFest XII is in the books. Thanks to all who helped make it work so well. Everyone who brought wood, the organizers of the recycle system, everyone's contribution to sanitation, the nightly clean-ups, the caution everyone showed in the canyons, in their winter garb, everyone who shared food and spirits, the Kahlua brownies and last but no least, the streaking bicyclists...my word was that an improvement over Don .......More pictures and stories please

Ram
    EvergreenDean and cirrus2000 like this.