Send us a suggestion!

Freeze fest

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Tom Jones, Jan 21, 2005.

1. RAM

RAM Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Randi <advntr_inxs@...> wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.com/advntrinxs/FreezeFest08#

These pictures are GREAT and the videos a blast. Matt in Woody, Aaron in Woodsy and Malia on Black Hole Day!! What a riot!! Thanks for sharing@! R
  2. TomJones

TomJones Guest

Suggestions for Black Hole Day

The BIG EVENT!!

There are some specific-weather variations here, but here are some tips for having a good time in the Black Hole, swimming in icewater. The amount of swimming, and the other difficulties encountered, vary from year to year; but, for the uninitiated, count on several LONG swims (100 yards plus) AND from the first swim to being back in the car of perhaps 4-6 hours. There are often no opportunities to stop and stay warm in that time period.

1. Swimming and Flotation: if you have not done a lot of canyon swimming, a BIG benefit can be gained by having flotation. Flotation is IN the PACK. Flotation can take the form of clothing in good drybags (do not borrow from Randi), but also tossing other floaty things in the pack can be useful, such as empty 2 liter coke bottles (might be a few of these leftover from the night before, but that is a different topic). You want a fairly large pack (Spry=30 liters minimum) and there is really no downside to carrying a pretty fair amount of extra clothing. Lash the hipbelt tightly around your hips, and swim backwards, leaning back against your pack. The swimming is easier, and your body is quite substantially out of the water. Sufficient flotation will also keep your neck out of the water, and your head well above the water, so no effort needs to be made to keep your body out.

2. Eat Lots of Food: the instant you wake up on Jan 1, start eating. The goal is to stuff as many calories in your body over the next 2 hours, to the point of being close to tossing the cookies when we get out of the car to start the hike in. Carbos are less important, fat and protein will burn longer and slower and last longer. Do not be afraid of fat. For most people this will be about a 6000 calorie day. In-canyon, a generous snack of cookies or sausage and cheese at the suit-up spot is likely your last chance to calorie up. Once we get wet, stopping to eat tends to be not popular.

An easy-to-get-to snack might be a good idea. Having enough of that to share with the people around you is a good idea. Drinking water while in the canyon is also a good idea - your metabolism works better when you are hydrated.

Hot drinks in a thermos add greatly to the cheer.

If Ram comes at you with a cookie, open your mouth and say thank you, afterwards. It might mean he just likes you (which might be true even if he does not come at you with a cookie), but it also might mean that you look cold, and he thinks you need to calorie up. Refusing pro-offered food on Black Hole Day is a venial sin.

3. Wear lots of rubber: it can be hard to figure out the right amount of rubber to wear. Some go drysuit, and if you have one, this is a great place for it. A 4/3mm wetsuit is definitely too little, but, layered with another wetsuit (3/2 or a shortee, or ?), it can work just fine. I like to wear a layer of capilene under my wetsuit, which increases the comfort a lot. I think it important that at least one of your wetsuits fits really well and not have holes in it (which for most canyoneers, means it is brand new). A warm hat can be very helpful, especially one you can wear under your helmet. If you end up with too much rubber, you can always take something off and put it in your pack. Or like Tim, offer it to the cold-challenged skinny kids who were heading toward the slippery slope.

4. Take care of hands and feet: hands require careful attention. Your body puts a lot of store in the information your hands send to your brain, so they are especially important to keep warm. Neoprene gloves that fit well are really helpful, but can be difficult to downclimb and rap with. Dishwashing gloves will help keep the water off your hands, with a rubberband to keep the water from getting in. Atlas gloves over dishwasher gloves works pretty well, but also, swimming on your back with your hands out of the water also keeps your hands warm.

Feet: I have found the Argos 5mm neo socks over the Teko heavy wool hiker to be the best combo. I might try a bread bag over the wool this year to try to keep my foot dryer. I get extra space in my Canyoneer shoes by taking out the foot bed.

5. Get up and get going: I am always challenged by the schedule on Black Hole Day. Even with a 10 am start, it is hard for me to get my act together and get out of camp in time for the hour-15 drive over there. If it is cold, I want to stop at the Hite complex to get dressed in the bathroom. Last year, we put wetsuits on here, which with my superfat Camaro wetsuit was slow. Ridesharing is eco-friendly, but should probably be arranged the afternoon before, pre-festivities. The hour ride over there allows you to get nice and warm, eat more food and get some of your gear nice and dry. With two drivers, you can both get dressed on the way over.

6. Harnesses, Helmets, rap device, etc: while there are rarely actual rappels in the Black Hole, it usually is useful to have that capability. A lightweight harness like an Alp Bod or a swiss seat is sufficient. A couple short ropes may be useful. Helmets should be considered mandatory (that's a statement of morality, not an operational statement since I am not your mother).

7. Leadership / Organization: uh, hard point here. Yes and no. I would not call this an organized event. Let me suggest that everyone form up into posses of 6-8 people, and make sure everyone is prepared BEFORE we leave the cars. Make sure everyone is in a posse. Once in the canyon, the word of the day is "GO", and the posses will break up, but... form a new posse with the people around you. Take care of people around you.

8. Communicate: part of this not really being organized is that it is up to YOU to show leadership by, if you are starting to have trouble, telling people about it right away.

I'm sure there's more, but that is enough for the moment.

Tom
  3. tj_wetherell

tj_wetherell Guest

Very helpful. My only addition is that having hot beverages, tasty food and super warm clothes in the cars at the *EXIT* of the canyon is super convenient. Just make sure you end up at the car at the same time as the person who has the key!!!

-tom(w)

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "TomJones" <ratagonia@...> wrote:
    The BIG EVENT!!
  4. RAM

RAM Guest

WONDERFUL POST I will add a bit to a very thorough orientation

> 1. Swimming and Flotation: Lash the hipbelt tightly around your hips.....This is critical.

One can also benefit from lashing it tight a few inches higher than the hip. The area is more mailable and allows for a tighter cinch with REALLY matters.

and swim backwards, leaning back against your pack. The swimming is easier, and your body is quite substantially out of the water.

But don't lean back too hard if you can help it. It adds strain to the drybag system and can cause potential failures

Sufficient flotation will also keep your neck out of the water, and your head well above the water, so no effort needs to be made to keep your body out.

More on this. With minimal flotation, most folks find water level at their chin. With proper flotation, the water level will be at your collarbone. When cold water hits your neck, bad things happen. It is also quite remarkable how much faster and with less effort, it is to move a body through a "swimmer" being those 3 additional inches higher out of the water. Those 3 inches are the world. Check to see that you have them working for you.

> 2. Eat Lots of Food: > Hot drinks in a thermos add greatly to the cheer.

And buy you a lot of time, before hypothermia can come on

> If Ram comes at you with a cookie, open your mouth and say thank you, afterward. It might mean he just likes you (which might be true even if he does not come at you with a cookie), but it also might mean that you look cold, and he thinks you need to calorie up. Refusing pro-offered food on Black Hole Day is a venial sin.

Wrapper covered bars, just loose in the top of the pack, don't get wet enough to have the wrapping fail. Have lots. Share lots

> 3. Wear lots of rubber: it can be hard to figure out the right amount of rubber to wear.

A word of caution here. There is such a thing as TOO MUCH rubber. Or TOO TIGHT in your rubber. Both cause overheating (bad in cold environs), loss of hydration, leg cramps from overworking. Leg cramps BAD while swimming. Make sure your range of motion in your suit is reasonable

I think it important that at least one of your wetsuits fits really well and not have holes in it (which for most canyoneers, means it is brand new).

I agree. No holes makes huge difference

Or like Tim, offer it to the cold-challenged skinny kids who were heading toward the slippery slope.

Tim, nothing from you.You coming?

> 5. Get up and get going: I am always challenged by the schedule on Black Hole Day. Even with a 10 am start, it is hard for me to get my act together

A challenge for many. Issues. It is wide open at the trail head. Even a small breeze makes standing about uncomfortable and a poor use of the calories you have stuffed yourself with. You did stuff yourself, right? It is CRITICAL that everyone be on time and ready, so no one is waiting. A car shuttle needs to happen. The obligatory photos taken, then GOOOO!

> 6. Harnesses, Helmets, rap device, etc: while there are rarely actual rappels in the Black Hole, it usually is useful to have that capability. A lightweight harness like an Alp Bod or a swiss seat is sufficient. A couple short ropes may be useful. Helmets should be considered mandatory (that's a statement of morality, not an operational statement since I am not your mother).

Just bring the damn helmet. There is a log jam in there. Wet spots turn to ice quickly and cold people are less coordinated. The new log wedged a few yards into the Black Hole section proper can be slipped by at about water level. The up and over looks daunting. If water is a tad high, I will take my wool hat off and go the few inches under water to avoid the over the top nightmare. At the end of the Hole section proper is where the new log jams are. The one log soup spot was best passed on the left, looking down canyon, in September. Careful not to slice your drysuit.

> 7. Leadership / Organization: uh, hard point here. Yes and no. I would not call this an organized event. Let me suggest that everyone form up into posses of 6-8 people, and make sure everyone is prepared BEFORE we leave the cars. Make sure everyone is in a posse. Once in the canyon, the word of the day is "GO", and the posses will break up, but... form a new posse with the people around you. Take care of people around you.

Take care of people around you.Take care of people around you.Take care of people around you.Take care of people around you.Take care of people around you.Take care of people around you.

> 8. Communicate: part of this not really being organized is that it is up to YOU to show leadership by, if you are starting to have trouble, telling people about it right away.

It is an OBLIGATION to tell several people when you get cold. You shiver, you share the knowledge. It is a sign of strength (strength of character, maturity, responsibility) to do so, not the opposite. All this said, with proper preparation, the trip is pretty casual. What all new people to the place say...."No one talked about how beautiful the hike is!!" Ram
  5. RAM

RAM Guest

Or ride with someone who buries their key and know where its buried. Large trash bags find their best use here. 2 per person makes the storage of a ton of wet gear easy. A ground cloth for the wet bags to sit on adds a layer of protection for the dry gear below.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "tj_wetherell" <tj_wetherell@...> wrote:
    Very helpful. > My only addition is that having hot beverages, tasty food and super warm clothes in the cars at the *EXIT* of the canyon is super convenient. Just make sure you end up at the car at the same time as the person who has the key!!!
    -tom(w)
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "TomJones" <ratagonia@> wrote:

The BIG EVENT!! >
  6. TomJones

TomJones Guest

'cause we all know, there's a whole lot of car thieves wandering around Cedar Mesa on New Year's Day...

Anyone who needs a warm place to hang out while waiting for the folks with their car keys to show up, just hop in my jalopy. The door is open, but the ride ain't free...

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    Or ride with someone who buries their key and know where its buried. Large trash bags find their best use here. 2 per person makes the storage of a ton of wet gear easy. A ground cloth for the wet bags to sit on adds a layer of protection for the dry gear below. >
  7. RAM

RAM Guest

Its not the potential of losing things that matters. It the potential of losing things that would end your trip that matters! ;-) You can take the boy outta the city......

'cause we all know, there's a whole lot of car thieves wandering around Cedar Mesa on New Year's Day...
    Anyone who needs a warm place to hang out while waiting for the folks with their car keys to show up, just hop in my jalopy. The door is open, but the ride ain't free...
    Tom
    > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:

Or ride with someone who buries their key and know where its buried. Large trash bags find their best use here. 2 per person makes the storage of a ton of wet gear easy. A ground cloth for the wet bags to sit on adds a layer of protection for the dry gear below.
    >
  8. Mudcat

Mudcat Guest

Hah Randi--those photos and videos brought back memories of that FF. My favorite, in Woodsie, is someone saying "I'm not sure if all three of those people should be standing in the same ..." CRACK/SPLASH! as the ice breaks and three canyoneers drop simultaneously straight down into the drink in a pothole.

I feared I was going to miss Freezefest this year because of a crazy December schedule, but all this talk is getting me the Freezefest Jones--now I've got to make it, at least for a few days.

What a great tradition. Thanks to the intrepid (imbalanced) group who started it!

Bill

PS--My best FF tip--bring a fresh pair of shoes for each day, if you've got 'em. I've purchased multiple used pairs of Canyoneers for $10 at ZAC and it beats the heck of trying to squeeze into a stiff frozen pair in the morning.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Randi <advntr_inxs@...> wrote:
    Alicia!!! We miss you every Freeze fest!!! > And the Kahlua brownies you so dependably & generously supply every year are cherished & then subsequently mourned when they're gone! > Long after the last brownie has been consumed, the memory of them lingers on! >   > If only my camera battery hadn't died in the middle of this video - it would have been great evidence of the fact that the brownies live on long after they don't.
    We had just emerged from the Black Hole - changed, and were waiting for the shuttle vehicles to arrive when I caught young Edward on video creating a sculpture from clay. He walked over (& sadly this is the part I didn't get on film) and said "Look, I made a Kahlua brownie". He had crafted from the clay of the land, a swirly colored rectangle that looked just like a brownie! We were all very sad that it wasn't edible! :)
    I don't know how to post just the video from work (so many things blocked here) but if you click on the last photo in the series - you should be able to view it. -
    http://picasaweb.google.com/advntrinxs/FreezeFest08#
    > Happy warm Christmas to you! > Looking forward to seeing you in May!!!
    > --- On Thu, 12/9/10, boogaloo72163 <boogaloo72163@...> wrote:
    > From: boogaloo72163 <boogaloo72163@...
    Subject: [from Canyons Group] Freeze Fest > To: Yahoo Canyons Group
    Date: Thursday, December 9, 2010, 9:02 PM
    >  

I have, once again, prepared the Honorary Freeze Fest Kahlua Brownies. They will be in attendance, but despite all your Siren Songs, I will not. My brief stopovers in the past have forever convinced me that you are all completely whacked! I will think fond thoughts of all of you as I drink my Christmas toddy, in front of the fire, while watching videos in my jams - which is how the holidays were meant to be celebrated! > Love to you all - > Alicia >
  9. RAM

RAM Guest

10. ryanej1

ryanej1 Guest

Or for those who are planning to spend Freeze Fest in North Wash :)

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=38.02050869343087&lon=-110.54374694824219&site=slc&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

50 this week? I'll try to send some N Idaho weather your way so that FF can live up to its name. It wouldn't be the same without snow.

Erik

The weather leading into the week > http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Bullfrog&state=UT&site=SLC&textField1=37.525&textField2=-110.713&e=1
    > and
    http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USUT0101?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

or do you like these Bullfrog temps better?
    http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/UTNPGLCABF:13
  11. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Guest

Why not just bring it with you?

----- Original Message ---- From: ryanej1 ryanej@hotmail.com> To: Yahoo Canyons Group Sent: Sat, December 18, 2010 10:08:44 PM Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Freeze Fest

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=38.02050869343087&lon=-110.54374694824219&site=slc&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

50 this week?  I'll try to send some N Idaho weather your way so that FF can live up to its name.  It wouldn't be the same without snow.

Erik

The weather leading into the week >http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Bullfrog&state=UT&site=SLC&textField1=37.525&textField2=-110.713&e=1
    and

---

When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier.  You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale.  Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:

Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working?

To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press &amp;amp;quot;Save

Changes&amp;amp;quot;.

WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you must visit the web site to view messages. Groups Links
  12. ryanej1

ryanej1 Guest

Kinda thinking I might want to go to FF to get warm! Ha, ha, that's sure to make it below zero next week.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Tim Hoover <frisbeedog02@...> wrote:

----- Original Message ---- > From: ryanej1 <ryanej@...
    To: Yahoo Canyons Group
    Sent: Sat, December 18, 2010 10:08:44 PM > Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Freeze Fest

50 this week?  I'll try to send some N Idaho weather your way so that FF can > live up to its name.  It wouldn't be the same without snow.
    Erik

The weather leading into the week
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Bullfrog&state=UT&site=SLC&textField1=37.525&textField2=-110.713&e=1
    >1

and

> or do you like these Bullfrog temps better?

---
    When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and > searching easier.  You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; > BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = > Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale.  > Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, > such as:
    To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/
    > This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My > Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press > &amp;amp;quot;Save
    Changes&amp;amp;quot;.
    DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email > to you each day summarizing that day's messages.
    WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you > must visit the web site to view messages. Groups Links >
  13. RAM

RAM Guest

Coldest FreezeFest morning? I think it was 6 degrees one morning the year of the "making a Pig of Yourself" descent of all 4 Hogs in one day? Was that FF XII? Coldest approach was getting into Stair on the full descent of said canyon during FreezeFest II. Twenty degrees with a steady west wind of 25 MPH. One fest rained enough that it forced us to Arches to avoid flooding. FreezeFest III that was. Daytime Black Hole temps have varied from 55, with a few other Hole days in the 50's, down to 30 degrees for Hole day for FF V....or was it VI? That day, when we changed out of wet clothes into the dry, we needed to race getting our shoes and socks back on due to them freezing up almost immediately. A dozen days windy enough to limit or pass on the evening fire over the years, but no micro bursts, knock on wood. A morning or so during most FreezeFest's where it didn't get below freezing. Countless memorable sunrises over the Henry's. Black Hole numbers from the beginning in order? 6,7,4,8,14,13,13,22. Participants? From a low of 4 for #III to 53 last year. range of canyons? HoHum fork of NF Robbers Roost to the north, if you don't count Arches. Pandora's a few times out to the west. Hard Day Harvey to the south and Cheesebox out to the east. Fun!

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "ryanej1" <ryanej@...> wrote:
    Kinda thinking I might want to go to FF to get warm! Ha, ha, that's sure to make it below zero next week.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Tim Hoover <frisbeedog02@> wrote:

----- Original Message ----
    > To: Yahoo Canyons Group
    > Sent: Sat, December 18, 2010 10:08:44 PM
    Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Freeze Fest

> 50 this week?  I'll try to send some N Idaho weather your way so that FF can
    live up to its name.  It wouldn't be the same without snow.

Erik

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:

>http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Bullfrog&state=UT&site=SLC&textField1=37.525&textField2=-110.713&e=1

and

---

When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and
    searching easier.  You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report;
    BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH =
    Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. 
    Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us,
    such as:

To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

> This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My
    Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press
    &amp;amp;quot;Save

Changes&amp;amp;quot;.

DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email
    to you each day summarizing that day's messages.

WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you
    must visit the web site to view messages. Groups Links
    >
  14. Dan

Dan Guest

i think freezefest XII is still a couple years away, lol. let's take it one year at a time there sport.

IIRC, slaughterfest was freezefest VI. it was cold! 6 degrees though? i must've still been asleep while you all were trying knock out all 4 canyons. glad i didn't have to spend an extra 20 minutes or so out there.

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/dan0712freeze/pages/day5/index.html

i think we are due for some 50 degree days and hovering right around freezing at night. that would almost be comfortable. rain can stay away though.

Coldest FreezeFest morning? I think it was 6 degrees one morning the year of the "making a Pig of Yourself" descent of all 4 Hogs in one day? Was that FF XII? Coldest approach was getting into Stair on the full descent of said canyon during FreezeFest II. Twenty degrees with a steady west wind of 25 MPH. One fest rained enough that it forced us to Arches to avoid flooding. FreezeFest III that was. Daytime Black Hole temps have varied from 55, with a few other Hole days in the 50's, down to 30 degrees for Hole day for FF V....or was it VI? That day, when we changed out of wet clothes into the dry, we needed to race getting our shoes and socks back on due to them freezing up almost immediately. A dozen days windy enough to limit or pass on the evening fire over the years, but no micro bursts, knock on wood. A morning or so during most FreezeFest's where it didn't get below freezing. Countless memorable sunrises over the Henry's. Black Hole numbers from the beginning in order? 6,7,4,8,14,13,13,22. Participants? From a low of 4 for #III to 53 last year. range of canyons? HoHum fork of NF Robbers Roost to the north, if you don't count Arches. Pandora's a few times out to the west. Hard Day Harvey to the south and Cheesebox out to the east. Fun!
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "ryanej1" <ryanej@> wrote:

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Tim Hoover <frisbeedog02@> wrote:

----- Original Message ----
    > From: ryanej1 <ryanej@

To: Yahoo Canyons Group

Sent: Sat, December 18, 2010 10:08:44 PM
    > Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Freeze Fest

50 this week?  I'll try to send some N Idaho weather your way so that FF can
    > live up to its name.  It wouldn't be the same without snow.

Erik

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Bullfrog&state=UT&site=SLC&textField1=37.525&textField2=-110.713&e=1

>1

and

> or do you like these Bullfrog temps better?

---

When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and
    > searching easier.  You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report;
    > BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH =
    > Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. 
    > Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us,
    > such as:

To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo:
    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

> This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My
    > Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press
    > &amp;amp;quot;Save

Changes&amp;amp;quot;.

DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email
    > to you each day summarizing that day's messages.

WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you
    > must visit the web site to view messages. Groups Links
  15. RAM

RAM Guest

Oops!! Got my X where the V shoulda been ;-) Yeah 6 degrees. Wasn't necessarily that day, but there were a few single digit AM's that trip. So said the thermometer on our shelter anyway. You do recall correctly AND that 20 minutes made all the difference in the world! Out without headlamps. Rain supposed to be gone by the 23rd or so, although that far out on forecasts? Who knows? Normal FF temps are about 45/18 F?

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Dan" <carpeybiggs@...> wrote:
    i think freezefest XII is still a couple years away, lol. let's take it one year at a time there sport.
    IIRC, slaughterfest was freezefest VI. it was cold! 6 degrees though? i must've still been asleep while you all were trying knock out all 4 canyons. glad i didn't have to spend an extra 20 minutes or so out there.
    > i think we are due for some 50 degree days and hovering right around freezing at night. that would almost be comfortable. rain can stay away though.

16. Dan

Dan Guest

all x's are a red flag for me...

you are right though. FFVI was cold, and it seemed like it was cold everyday. the first day that some of us did chambers (you were busy wrecking your car) it felt like we were in antarctica. freakin' cold. and windy. seemed to warm up more during the days though. thinking 40s and single digits most of the time that year.

last year the nights didn't seem so bad. the clouds insulate a bit i think. the days never seemed to really warm up though.

either that or the alcohol and propane heaters kept me warm.

Oops!! Got my X where the V shoulda been ;-) Yeah 6 degrees. Wasn't necessarily that day, but there were a few single digit AM's that trip. So said the thermometer on our shelter anyway. You do recall correctly AND that 20 minutes made all the difference in the world! Out without headlamps. Rain supposed to be gone by the 23rd or so, although that far out on forecasts? Who knows? Normal FF temps are about 45/18 F?

> --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Dan" <carpeybiggs@> wrote:

> i think we are due for some 50 degree days and hovering right around freezing at night. that would almost be comfortable. rain can stay away though.

Coldest FreezeFest morning? I think it was 6 degrees one morning the year of the "making a Pig of Yourself" descent of all 4 Hogs in one day? Was that FF XII? Coldest approach was getting into Stair on the full descent of said canyon during FreezeFest II. Twenty degrees with a steady west wind of 25 MPH. One fest rained enough that it forced us to Arches to avoid flooding. FreezeFest III that was. Daytime Black Hole temps have varied from 55, with a few other Hole days in the 50's, down to 30 degrees for Hole day for FF V....or was it VI? That day, when we changed out of wet clothes into the dry, we needed to race getting our shoes and socks back on due to them freezing up almost immediately. A dozen days windy enough to limit or pass on the evening fire over the years, but no micro bursts, knock on wood. A morning or so during most FreezeFest's where it didn't get below freezing. Countless memorable sunrises over the Henry's. Black Hole numbers from the beginning in order? 6,7,4,8,14,13,13,22. Participants? From a low of 4 for #III to 53 last year. range of canyons? HoHum fork of NF Robbers Roost to the north, if you don't count Arches. Pandora's a few times out to the west. Hard Day Harvey to the south and Cheesebox out to the east. Fun! >
  17. marlowequart

marlowequart Guest

Hi, I read a few things you have posted about freeze fest. Do you know if this is happening this year, and if it is open to whoever? I have some time off then and I am thinking about planning a trip out to Utah. Thanks, Marlowe
  18. RAM

RAM Guest

FreezeFest XI (Roman numerals? must be important) will run December 26th thru...well when folks give out, perhaps into the weekend of the 5th of January. It is open to whoever is crazy enough to come. North Wash-Sandthrax camp as usual. I'm gonna ask for no fireworks. Hanksville BLM is "agin it." Firewood, on the other hand, is welcome. Time to redo the old list as the experience level and knowledge has evolved. Behaviors evolved? Well, that is debatable.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "marlowequart" <marlowequart@...> wrote:
    Hi, I read a few things you have posted about freeze fest. Do you know if this is happening this year, and if it is open to whoever? I have some time off then and I am thinking about planning a trip out to Utah. > Thanks, > Marlowe >
  19. "Behaviors evolved? Well, that is debatable."

LOL!

Hoping to make it for a couple days this year. Looking at the work schedule.