Send us a suggestion!

Freeze Fest 2020-2021

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Patterson, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Having Freeze Fest doesn't seem like a good idea this year. Has it been cancelled? I haven't seen any posts about the cancellation, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that it has been or will be.
  2. Evan Christensen

Evan Christensen Evan C

Is Freeze Fest a good idea any year? I was only thinking of coming up for 1-2 days, but I think COVID transmission risk would be extremely low in this setting. Maybe safer down there than staying in the city??
  3. Steve D

Steve D

I think the saying goes “Freezefest is open to anybody brave/dumb enough to want to go”
    Katy, Ram and Yellow Dart like this.
  4. Evan Christensen

Evan Christensen Evan C

I was just thinking about the carpools and shuttles that are associated with FF. Probably not a great idea. Bummer.
  5. Canyonero

Canyonero

It was always a dumb idea. Is it dumber this year to go do canyons with folks you just met the night before? Probably. Will that keep people from doing it? Highly unlikely. But it probably won't be a record setting year.

As for me, I'll be going down the day before and wiping down Shenanigans with Clorox wipes in preparation for you all.

Just kidding. I'm doing something else this year, but I'm not sure it's any lower risk from COVID. I'm actually hoping to be vaccinated before FreezeFest to be honest.
    Kevin likes this.
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

It is not really cancelled... it is just being skipped. Alas.
    Katy and Kevin like this.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

Possible, for medical professionals.

Tom
  8. 2065toyota

2065toyota

My job is in the general public for the last 9 months. Freezefest meetings would be the least of my concerns and probably the safest place to be even with strangers in my opinion.
    Yellow Dart likes this.
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

Maybe for YOU.
    Dan Ransom and 2065toyota like this.
  10. 2065toyota

2065toyota

You are a pretty smart guy, an enginner, good with numbers. Even if you actually believed that the total deaths in the US was indeed 269,000. Which we all know is inflated. With a general population of 328,000,000 and the majority of the deaths coming from highly populated areas and people over 70. I think you can calculate your odds of contracting and dying from covid are statistically pretty close to zero from a sceintific engineering standpoint.
    Yellow Dart likes this.
  11. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

There is more to be concerned about than death. Me, my wife, and my kids all had COVID in July/August. My daughter and I got hit really hard while my son and wife had mild cases.

I am neither that old (age 46) nor unhealthy and neither is my daughter (age 16). I got really sick and was borderline having to be put on a respirator.

Even if the death rates are low for the younger than 70 crowd, there are a lot of other possible long term effects:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/long-term-effects.html

I'm hoping I have at least some immunity to COVID now, but for sure I wouldn't recommend getting it and hope I never get it again. It sounds like getting it twice is possible, but rare, so I'm glad of that and I haven't been contagious for months now.

I believe Tom is saying that if you have been with the gernal public for nine months, you could spread it to others.

Freeze Fest is different from just going on a canyoneering trip because a lot of people sit closely around the campfire, etc. I'm hoping that I have an immunity since I had it already, but if you or others haven't, it puts you and others at higher risk. Lest anyone point out any hipocracy, since I recovered from COVID I have gone canyoneering or climbing with two non-household members, but as mentioned I have already had it and recovered from it before that happened.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    Katy, hank moon, Ram and 7 others like this.
  12. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Possible long term effects according to the cdc. Dont they change all of their recommendations and polices daily?

I also hope that i dont get get in a car wreck. Hope that i dont get cancer. Hope that i dont get struck by ligjtning. Hope that i dont get hurt canyoneering and spend the night-oh wait that did happen-nevermind. Im very happy that you and your family is well but that is also the point. You did not perish and i am an american and i refuse to live in a cave. My 87 year old gma just had covid in a home and she is well. Ive had 4 employees test positive and all is well. Ive had relatives test positove and all is well. There is no way to tell how every individual will be affected by it, but based upon the actual numbers it is still statistically zero that we will perish from covid. I may be completely wrong, but at least i am a free american and get to make my own choices.

And no, i dont belive that makes me selfish. I will stand up for your rights just as i do my own.
    Yellow Dart likes this.
  13. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

It is according to the people who had it. I am no longer contagious, but I definitely still have a lot of the side effects mentioned in the article, such as shortness of breath.

Which is why you should be concerned about spreading it to others.

Just food for thought. I am not in charge of Freezefest (I don't think anyone specifically is) and have no say in what people do.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    RThatcher, 2065toyota and townsend like this.
  14. Jason Linder

Jason Linder

I haven't had COVID but the biggest side effect I've experienced is that it takes a lot less trolling (one of my better skillsets) to draw out ignorance. Just bring it up once and the ignorance erupts like a volcano.
  15. 2065toyota

2065toyota

I hate it when facts and emotion contradict themselves. Creates the biggest dilemma
    Yellow Dart likes this.
  16. Kuenn

Kuenn

lol

I was with you up until you crossed that sacred threshold....:disagree:
    https://www.loveproperty.com/gallerylist/70598/12-incredible-cave-homes :woot:

Never been to FF, hope to check it off one day. Me catching COVID would probably not make the top 3 reasons for not attending this year. Me being a vector for a loved one or friend who are high risk keeps me at bay most days (with a few notable exceptions).

Since FF doesn't really have an organizational head, sounds to me like it's a personal choice of risk assessment. JMO
  17. RThatcher

RThatcher

I think it is important to have these conversations. As a smaller community of canyoneers we are able to listen to one another and have a conversation.

My thoughts... you may not get sick, your grandma may not get sick, you may not know anyone who gets sick. To me the bigger picture is avoiding our hospitals from getting over run and avoiding out medical professionals having to triage people for care based on age, health status, and likelihood of recovery. It's being able to treat all the really sick COVID patients and non-COVID patients that need emergency care. It's also about preventing those health care workers from burning out. I have family who work in health care and they assure me that this is happening NOW.

I think risk assessment is key. I'm not saying we shouldn't do anything fun or run canyons... I have done canyons during COVID. We can minimize risk by being smart about our activities and limiting exposure. Keep your circle of people you associate with small. It's not hard to wear a mask or follow basic health guidelines. These guidelines do change. We are learning more about this virus all the time. It would be irresponsible not to change guidelines based on new information.
    Dave Melton and ratagonia like this.
  18. ratagonia

ratagonia

Our Canyoneering Community includes a wide range of political viewpoints. This is not a forum for political discussion. A few toes have been dipped into politics on this thread. I suggest that enough has been said.

If you'd like to get turbulent on politics, I suggest checking out my very active Facebook Feed: https://www.facebook.com/tom.jones.10888

But not here, please.

Tom
  19. Jason Linder

Jason Linder

Agreed that enough has been said. Just one more point...

I don't see anything political on any post in this thread so far. I see people discussing a topic that has been POLITICIZED.

Occasionally our community encounters topics (public lands, national parks, livestock grazing, permitting, etc) that impact our lives, our rights, social justice, and the communities we interact with - that doesn't make them political. Those who wish to selfishly politicize these conversations because they are afraid of living in a world with LIBERTY and JUSTICE for ALL can easily be called out and then ignored so we can continue our discussion.
    2065toyota likes this.
  20. Canyonero

Canyonero

They'll be sitting REALLY closely around the campfire this time given the new fire pits.