Send us a suggestion!

Formerly more popular canyons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Patterson, May 10, 2017.

1. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Some canyons have exploded in popularity and what used to be a seldom visited place only a few years ago is now very popular.

On the flip side, which canyons (or sections of canyons) have decreased in popularity since canyoneering became popular.

I'm going to say with reasonable confidence that the following canyons are not as popular as they used to be.

Beartrap (Zion)
    Right Fork North Creek (Zion)
    Lower Kolob Creek (Zion)
    Upper Cable (San Rafael Swell)
    Upper Black Box, upper 75% of canyon (San Rafael Swell)
    Upper Squeeze (San Rafael Swell)
    Bluejohn Canyon (still popular, but perhaps a little less so because the 127 hour effect is starting to wane)

Others?
  2. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

This doesn't apply to the general community, just me, but pretty much the Zion area in general is less appealing to me now that I'm more experienced. The permit system is a bit of a pain to deal with, having to rely on the bus system or long shuttles for a lot of the canyons, and the masses of tourists tends to keep me away.

I still go there occasionally since the canyons are great, but now its maybe once or twice a year instead of once a month or more when I first started canyoneering.
  3. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Having people in the area who are self employed and with little to do helps this. Next time you have need of a shuttle, look me up. There are 6 in my house, and we're all a pretty helpful lot. :happy:
    Wobot, Tom Collins and ratagonia like this.
  4. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Thanks I'll keep that in mind, I have trip in late June when I might avail myself of your services. Any one of the things mentioned wouldn't be a big issue, its all of them combined and the fact that I've done most of the trade routes multiple times. Its still a great place and there's still lots of non trade routes I need to see, but I go there when I'm looking for something deep, dark, and wet when it's hot in June, and early July if the Monsoons haven't started. Otherwise there's so many other places to go and living near Spanish Fork means that its close to the same distance whether I go to Zion, Escalante, Ticaboo, etc so I tend to go to the other places.
    Sandstone Addiction likes this.