Send us a suggestion!

News Five Ten no longer producing canyoneering shoes

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Fat Canyoner, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Jeff Schaber

Jeff Schaber

So not being able to find a pair of the Rasslers in a size I needed I thought I'd give their other water shoe a try. I ordered a pair of the Astral Hiyaks a half size bigger than my normal shoe size (they only come in full sizes). These already have some insulation built in and the soles are the same rubber as the Rasslers which many have said is as sticky as the 5.10 rubber. My biggest concern would be support as I have a weak achilles that I'm nursing.

I'll post an update once I've had a chance to test them. Found a place with a 10% off code so for $103 I figured it was a no brainer as I can use them kayaking if they don't work out for slot canyons.
    Steve Rogers likes this.
  2. Mike Zampino

Mike Zampino Canyon season never ends.

I am currently testing out the Adidas Terrex CC Voyager Aqua Water Shoe.

https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/EFW42...ue_Beauty&cgid=men-water-sports-shoes#start=5

So far I have only used them in the Upper Uncompahgre and in West Clear Creek and seem to work great. They have stealth rubber and drain and dry very well. They fit and feel like a running shoe. I am just not sure if they will survive the sandstone canyons of Utah, but will still keep using them in CO and most of AZ. I will post again when I get more mileage in them.
  3. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Can sand get through that mesh? Any idea how durable you think that upper might be? Looks like a solid shoe if that mesh is a tight enough weave to keep out the sand.
  4. Fat Canyoner

Fat Canyoner T2

Steve, so great to hear your feedback about the Astral shoes. I've seen them online and really like a lot about them. I also like the focus on sustainable manufacturing processes (leave no trace really shouldn't start at the carpark).

Jeff, I'm really keen to hear how you find the Hiyaks. They're the ones I was looking at. They look like there is a bit more protection for the lacing system and the higher sides should hopefully reduce sand ingress.
  5. Steve Rogers

Steve Rogers

I'll also be really curious to hear how the Hiyak works out..
  6. townsend

townsend

Steve, the Rassler sound interesting. Two questions:

1) do they have stealth rubber so that they are "sticky" when navigating slick rock (I would assume they would do fine here)?

2) more demanding is how "hardy" are these shoes? Sandstone canyoneering in Utah can really eat up shoes that don't have at least some abrasion-resistance built into the materials and/or design.
  7. Mike Zampino

Mike Zampino Canyon season never ends.

I don't think it will keep sand out. Heck, any shoe I use in Utah ends up full of sand. The upper looks more durable then something like the Five Ten Access Mesh. Time will tell...