Send us a suggestion!

First Timer Buckskin - Paria

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alexh1, Jan 15, 2019.

1. alexh1

alexh1

Hi,

Planing a trip to Paria river, probably in late March as a few spots still open.
    I was hoping to enter at Wire Pass and end at Lee's Ferry.
    I'm an experienced hiker but it seems Buckskin conditions can be miserable and won't likely know until near trip date.

Also, solo and one car so I would need a shuttle. Paria Outpost and Outfitters told me that they can do that shuttle but it's a 2 hour drive and it was not really clear if it's just me and what time they can start etc. (corresponded by e-mail). If the start in Buckskin is too late I may not make it to the confluence by dark. Could camp at the Wire pass trailhead first night but means more water etc.

Over many decades of backpacking etc. I have learned that a first time unguided trip with lots of logistics is probably best considered a test trip to sort of figure things out and thus better to reduce the expectations. Bearing this in mind perhaps it's best to simply start from Whitehouse and return to Whitehouse avoiding shuttle this time and explore down Buckskin a bit and down the Paria.

I have a permit for the Grand Canyon north rim April 1 so that is my motivation for adding the Paria to my trip.
    I have all of the books and maps on the area.

Thanks for any advice.
  2. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

If you have Kelsey's latest book, it describes a route where you can combine the Buckskin and Upper Paria as a loop hike without a car shuttle.
  3. alexh1

alexh1

I see that, via MT/R but the route finding looks a little complex for a first time trip.

None of the guide books describe a trip starting and ending at wire pass. Is this because of the difficulty of climbing the Buckskin rockfall with a heavy pack? I assume it's not practical to tie a rope to the pack, climb the rockfall and pull the pack up?
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  4. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Complex? You take a left and hike up the drainage. Pretty easy to negotiate loop. I'd heard folks miss the junction...but...seemed pretty obvious to me.

Maybe ditch the heavy pack? Perfect candidate for a lightweight pack trip.

The hitch hike of hwy 89 isn't too bad (White House to turnoff to Wire Pass TH). Could always set up a shuttle from the end of your hike, and, have your car at whatever take out. If you couldn't get a ride down the dirt road, you could always just hike it and hope to get a pick up.

White House to White House...uhh...wouldn't be great, IMHO. That's a lot of sand.
  5. alexh1

alexh1

You mean the entrance to Buckskin or the exit from Paria?
    I was referring to the exit from Paria to MT/R.
    Of course just basing it on description, perhaps looking at a Topo it's obvious and a compass usually will at least keep you in right direction.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  6. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Brian, he's referring to the loop hike in Kelsey's new book. The loop hike goes down the Middle Trail, then down the Buckskin, up the Paria to a side canyon which is followed back up to the plateau and then follows a cross country route back to the Middle Trail. There is no car shuttle required.

I'm not sure what the OP is expecting to hear though.

You can either have a car shuttle, hire a car shuttling service, do Wire Pass to Whitehouse and try to hitch hike back, or to do the loop hike without a car shuttle.

Because they don't need to. Most people just hike down canyon. If you want to return to Wire Pass you simply reverse the route. The rockfall is climbable if you have any experience at all with climbing.

So why don't you simply ask them?
  7. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Ahh. Got it. That does sound a bit more complicated. To me, the Wire Pass to White House loop is a no brainer.

But, I'm a sucker for a loop trip.

I guess if conditions in Buckskin aren't great...then just reversing that route would work.
  8. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Good point bringing this up. There is a good chance that the Buckskin conditions might not be that great in late March. There is a good chance that it could require a wetsuit.
  9. Muskeeto

Muskeeto

I would definitely take a wetsuit, i did it to the middle trail escape route last April and there was a lot of water, the cess pool was neck deep in water
  10. alexh1

alexh1

A wet suit, holy cow.

I decided just to do Pariah in and out of Whitehouse this time. I'll leave something on the table for next time.
    I pretty much always hike alone (all my friends and relatives are lazy slobs) so I have to be cautious.

Thanks for the tip.
    ratagonia likes this.
  11. Canyonero

Canyonero

Watch for snow. The road to Wire Pass is TERRIBLE in a snowstorm. (Ask me how I know.) The canyon will be cold in March so dress accordingly. It would be miserable to hike that far in a wetsuit, but if it were really wet, you could be in and out of water enough to want it. Be sure to dry bag dry clothes/sleeping bag in case you stumble in the pools.
  12. baggiebloke

baggiebloke

Please post after your Paria trip. I will be there 1st week of April, and plan to day hike Paria and/or Wire and Buckskin in/out. I will have 2 x 15 year olds (experienced - have done most the Egypts and a bunch of 2A/B in Spring conditions)

However, want to know if we need more than our usual neoprene sock, wading shoes and set of dry clothing in a dry bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    wisconnyjohnny likes this.
  13. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

Yes we wanna know conditions. Thinking about blue pools next week in that area.