Send us a suggestion!

First Imlay and Heaps trip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Patterson, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I have been curious about something for quite a while.

Depending on how you count them, Imlay has 42-46 rappels. Heaps has something 25-28.

In upper Imlay, several rappels are off trees or logs and lower Imlay has a lot of log rappels, but there are also many bolted rappels. I have been curious as to just how many bolts and hangars to early pioneers must have carried the canyons? They wouldn't have known how many rappels were in the canyons, so they must have brought extra. I wonder what other gear they took? Did they carry 50 bolts? 100 bolts? Their packs must have been massive! Or maybe they didn't do as much bolting as it appears?
    Rapterman likes this.
  2. Bogie

Bogie

We did Imlay placing 13 bolts. Separate bolts kits (hammer, drill, extra bits, blow pipe, wrench, release wedges) consisting of a dozen 1/4” x 1 1/4” Rawl Drive-Ins /hangers + 3/8” Star Expansions, 10 2” w/hangers and 6 3” /hangers, 28 bolts each. Two stand alone kits with enough hardware to do the canyon separately, in case we lost one. 2 165’ 11mm, 1 250’ 7mm and 1 150’ 8mm. Over 700’ of rope which when strung to dry around trees in the Watchman Campground looked pretty funny to the backcountry ranger trying to guess where we’d been.

Heaps bolt placement (13) and gear was nearly identical except we carried more long 3/8” bolts plus 2 quick-release retrievable 3/8” x 2” anchors (pic). These were for escapes using aid technique (tested in Poe a month earlier). We traded the 7mm for a 300’ 9mm having ‘boy scout’ estimated the length of the final rappel to Emerald Pool. Of course, plenty of sling (40’ each), a few descending rings, etriers, Jumars, Gibbs, and aid slings. Our term for all this weighty stuff was “Loaded for Bear.” We had to carry lots of extra stuff because …

Attached Files:

• QuickReleaseBolts.JPG
      Filename:
      QuickReleaseBolts.JPG
      File size:
      466.2 KB
      Views:
  3. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

4. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Whoa, I hadn't realized you guys did Poe a month before Heaps. That is wild!

Thanks for the details, I'm always amazed at your crew's vision and creativity to pull off these adventures. Incredible.
  5. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

[​IMG]

Also - this blows my mind!
  6. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

^^^No kidding!

That's a pretty nifty bolt design...!

Great share, thanks!!
  7. Bogie

Bogie

A clarification: The “we” I was referring to in Imlay and Heaps was with Dennis Turville. Jenny and I were the ones in Poe a month earlier.
    Moab Mark, Dan Ransom and ratagonia like this.