Send us a suggestion!

Figure 8''s - preferred design?

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Teuns Kok, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Teuns Kok

Teuns Kok Guest

From previous discussions on this group, it is evident that figure 8's have great support as decenders. However, although all figure 8's work on the principle of friction, there are a variety of designs available. And all manufacturers claim their model/design to function best. Is this realy the case? Are there preferred models/designs? Anybody use the Petzl Huit - specific comment on this model?

Teuns Kok

----------

Confidentiality Note

ALL VIEWS OR OPINIONS EXPRESSED HEREIN ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS ONLY AND IN NO WAY REFLECT THOSE OF MY ORGANISATION, UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.

The information in this message may be confidential or privileged and is for the use of the named recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. If you receive this message in error, please notify me immediately

2. --- In canyons@y..., "Teuns Kok" <tkok@c...> wrote:
    From previous discussions on this group, it is evident that figure 8's have great support as decenders. However, although all figure 8's work on the principle of friction, there are a variety of designs available. And all manufacturers claim their model/design to function best. Is this realy the case? Are there preferred models/designs? Anybody use the Petzl Huit - specific comment on this model? >

Teuns,

In America, I think the preferred model/design isn't an 8 at all, but any ATC-like device... practically have to pry them out of a canyoneer's cold, dead hands...

Having said that, i use an 8 - it was the device I learned to rappel on (way back when with one of those rounded deals). A coupla years ago I picked up a Huit, and it's what I use to this day. Some things I like about it:

- Can be rigged a number of different ways depending on your friction needs, without having to add extra biners or tieing munter hitches in awkward places.

- Can be used to ascend (the square design of the huit makes this much easier than the rounded ones), belay, etc etc.

- The square design seems to limit the chances of girth hitching (larks footing)

- It's pretty light.

The only downside I've seen is the heat generated on long raps, but I figure that's a problem with many devices. Wear a glove, I guess. Some people like having the ears on it - again, to avoid girthing - but I've never found it necessary.

Mike dallin@on-line.com