Send us a suggestion!

Tech Tip: Question FiddleStick string - break?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by ratagonia, Nov 24, 2019.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

The FiddleStick comes with a short string tied on - has anyone broken this?

As an aside, Brendan Busch made some sticks with the leash tied on, well, SPLICED on. It seemed to work. I kept it when we moved to the official product. There is no more to it than that, except that it seems to me the pull cord, carabiner, leash, stick sequence would have less chance of getting stuck than a carabiner clipped into the stick... of course a fiddle-cord hitched directly to the stick would be less-sticky still.

Tom
    Ram and Jenny like this.
  2. Jenny

Jenny

I still prefer and use Brendan's version of the Fiddlestick (shown here). It is made from a sailboat batten. In many years of pulling, it has never stuck.

It would be interesting to see an x-ray of the fiberglass to see if there are hairline fractures. I suspect there are many.

Note: This is the second design Brendan made. The thinking was that by pulling a loop of the cord into the slot, it would prevent a mishap pull. But, it proved to have two serious flaws and we all stopped using the slit as a backup. I had 6 of the "original" (w/o the slot) and unfortunately gave away all but one, plus this one.

IMG_1159.
  3. Canyonero

Canyonero

Of course, I've broken everything. It wasn't actually YOUR product whose "string" I wore out though. I think it's better without a string. That string gets wrapped up in the stone knot sometimes. What's the point of a string? Just clip the biner straight into the stick.
    ratagonia likes this.
  4. Kuenn

Kuenn

Looks well used. Another concern would be UV deterioration, fiberglass being very susceptible to it.

It's hard to argue with performance history, but maybe it's a candidate for retirement. Respectfully said.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

I seem to recall seeing at least one of these battens split in use.

Micro-cracking (cracks too small to see) is a phenomenon of high-strength ceramics and some especially brittle metals. It is not a common phenomenon in other materials.

Tom