Send us a suggestion!

Tech Tip: Question FiddleStick frequency?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Tricam, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Tricam

Tricam

I have to say - you're right :)

After just a couple weeks of using this, it went from "this crazy thing I'll have for emergencies" to something I use regularly. I've taken it with me to practice with at the end of climbing days and have gotten ~50 raps on it, and now it feels quite comfortable. I've also been taking it up a lot of climbs, which has allowed rappel starts from trees comfortably above the cliffs instead of downclimbing to where the descent anchors were installed to allow pulling ropes.

I haven't gotten the toggle stuck yet (most of the walls I've used it on have been vertical-overhung), but I did get the rope stuck once when using it around a rock pinch, which was a good learning experience. Luckily this happened here where it was just an inconvenience and not out in a canyon.

I had originally thought that I would primarily use a retrievable sling style anchor for the increased safety, but now I would default to the toggle unless there was something that would make it unsafe.
    Bootboy likes this.
  2. Canyonero

Canyonero

Yea, don't fiddle chockstones. You only do that once. You'll have to leave sling on them, then fiddle the sling.
    Tricam and ratagonia like this.