Send us a suggestion!

UT: North Wash FF- Maidenwater 12-28-18

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Ram, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Ram

Ram

With the 1/2 inch of fresh snow overnight, the world of slickrock was covered in snow, limiting options of approach everywhere. What to do? We were here to get into snowy canyons and we were being obliged. The thought was to head into the teeth of it. The thought being, that choosing a canyon, higher and up against the side of an even higher peak, we would have MORE snow. Thinking back to FreezeFest VI, we remembered one of the best FreezeFest days ever, in a very snowy Maidenwater, up on the flanks of Mt. Hillers. This also had the advantage of a totally soil based approach. Win-win.

Our experience was good, if not as epic and great as the descent of 12-30-09. What stood out early on was the wind!!! Temps in the low 20's. Wind in the low 20's MPH's. Not sure what that equals "wind chill" wise, but I can tell ya.........It was bitter cold on approach. Only the approach to Upper Stair Canyon during FreezeFest II stands out, in my mind, as being colder than this. Each of us, in our many layers, leaning away from the cold wind, moved up the hill, alone with our thoughts.

As is often the case, once in the canyon, it is a lot warmer.....but on this day, not warm. The upper canyon had a few inches of snow, requiring great care in navigation. Meat anchors and captures were the standard, even on the many non rappel drops. The snow accumulations decreased as we got further down the canyon, leading to a little disappointment, for me. But really, it was a fine day out with wonderful people. Pictures?
    PS I will add the link to the 2009 descent at the end, for further viewing pleasure.

Good morning

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Packing in the snow is a pain. Unless you utilize the "dry spot"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking down, to avoid the wind, you see other things
    [​IMG]

Jerzey and Basia coming on up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The head of the canyon at last. We were able to enter via the north side gap on the left
    [​IMG]

In with a little help from my friends
    [​IMG]

Pretty and benign
    [​IMG]

Lee and Shane...Look cold in there?
    [​IMG]

Dylan and Jerzey
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the drive back to camp
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the link to some pictures of Maidenwater in 2009. One of the best FreezeFest descents ever,
    http://canyoncollective.com/threads/the-ghosts-of-freezefests-past.20058/#post-86359
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    John Diener, Rapterman, Erik and 2 others like this.
  2. Kuenn

Kuenn

Every picture shrieks FRIGID! FF living true with its core values.
    Ram and Rapterman like this.