Send us a suggestion!

FEED BACK ON CANYONLUX?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Rapterman, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Rapterman

Rapterman

Would love to know how the new Sterling Canyonlux 8mm rope is holding up.
    How is it wearing (pictures)?
    I am interested in trying some out
    Thanks!
  2. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Only used it one time so I don't have much of an opinion on it. I don't like the wet stretchiness of the Sterling ropes in general. It is nice how small they pack in a bag though.
    Rapterman likes this.
  3. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Very stretchy for the money and materials used.
    Very supple but at the cost of durability for the price.
    Be careful tying knots as the soft nature of this rope allows knots to become impossibly tight.

If you know how to be smooth and gentle on rappel, its very nice to work with. It raps smoothly and it is easy on the hands, especially bare hands.
    Rapterman likes this.
  4. Bshapiro

Bshapiro

I own a 200' and a 100'. The Canyon Lux is a very supple rope but mine are wearing really fast. I am not happy with the durability of the rope.
    Rapterman likes this.
  5. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

I have only used a short (45') piece, and have used it quite a bit over the last 2 years (sorry, no numbers). Subjective notes:

Very smooth and supple:

+ Compact - packs down very small
    + Feels great in the hand, runs buttery smooth through rap devices - especially nice when doubled
    + More predictable/consistent friction in devices; offers substantially less friction than stiffer ropes

- More likely to self-knot/tangle when pulling/stuffing/etc. (IMG-01)
    - Significant sheath slippage (or core shrinkage?) resulting in IMG-02, below
    - More fuzzing / sheath picking than most other ropes I have used
    - Seems to take longer to dry relative to 100% polyester or polyester/dyneema ropes
    - As Taylor noted, suppleness + high-friction sheath means knots jam easier (esp. when wet)
    - Develops more twist on rappel than stiffer ropes (not necessarily a serious issue, but...)

Overall impression: not a good choice for an everyday rope: too many handling issues, esp. when wet. Niche product.

Hearsay: have seen several coreshot reports on forums - Class C canyons with hard/sharp rock (granite). As noted above, sheath durability doesn't seem to be a strong point.

IMG-01 note: photo found on FB canyoneering group, 300' rope stuck during retrieval. Supposed cause was stored twist (it was a new rope, reportedly not broken-in). In my limited experience with my 45' piece, the rope has a tendency to self-tangle, even after broken in (compared to stiffer ropes). When wet, it's a sloppy wet noodle. So, suppleness can be a fine thing, but has its disadvantages.

canyonlux-01.

IMG-02 note: 45' rope. Sheath slippage seems excessive for such a short piece.

canyonlux-02.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Ali Miller and Rapterman like this.
  6. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Having been playing with Bluewater Canyon Extreme, which shares materials characteristics with CanyonLux, and it mirrors what Hankamoo laid out; it forms bites on itself - it knots itself - it twists like crazy - and last but certainly not least, 3 times in 4 canyons I have watched it tie an overhand on itself, the last of which was during the pull, but I was lucky enough to climb to it and undo it before it got out of reach.

I think Technora sheaths are possessed by the chaotic spirits of dead canyonapes.
    Rapterman likes this.
  7. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Ali Miller and Rapterman like this.
  8. Rapterman

Rapterman

We have been canyoneering almost exclusively on Bluewater 8mm dyneema core ropes and 8.3mm Imlay Canyon Fire.
    We like all these ropes, but always interested in the 'new stuff'.
    The BW 8mm canyon extreme has been our most durable rope: we like it for long drops where the tough sheath is a plus.
    Otherwise the BW 8mm dual sheath is our favorite so far.
    The 8.3mm Canyon Fire STILL the best price/performance skinny rope. In working rope lengths (100-120 feet) you can't really tell the
    difference from much more expensive 8mm dyneema core rope.
    Using a heavier 'Canyon Fire style' sheath over a dyneema core in an 8mm package (if I understand Bootboys Grand rope) is an
    INTERESTING development.
    Look forward to seeing how it performs.
    Thanks for input, everyone
    :D
    EDIT: Canyon Fire is 8.3mm diameter (not 8.5)
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    ratagonia likes this.
  9. DanielleM

DanielleM

I bought a 300' last year for a trip to Spain and was very disappointed. The sheath completely cut through on the second rappel. It tangles hopelessly, especially in water. We continued to use it on the trip, and the entire group was frustrated by the constant tangles - you'd flake it out and go to throw it and it would already be tangled again. At one point the tail tied itself in the watercourse into an alpine butterfly, or something alike. It is very slippery, so with thick gloves you could get yourself into trouble. For dry canyons it seems ok.
    hank moon, Ali Miller and Rapterman like this.
  10. Rapterman

Rapterman

Thanks for your feedback Danielle.
    It would seem that the evolution of the 'perfect' rope continues.
    We were hoping that a more supple canyoneering rope like the Canyonlux would improve handling and twisting while on rappel
    but it seems like other issues may result from that softer construction.
    Does a certain degree of stiffness help protect the cord from abrasion and tangling?
    The smaller the diameter, the more important this characteristic (stiffness) may turn out to be....