Send us a suggestion!

FEAR.....was: Pictures and TR- Posh Spice Canyon

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by RAM, May 3, 2012.

1. RAM

RAM Guest

When we were in this canyon last week as the 2nd descenders, there is a spot where we were stemming up and my buddy Steve Levin says..."How high are we? We must be 40 feet up!" I replied..."NO! We are three feet off the ground, what are you talking about!?!" My way of dealing.

When I am at my best, it feels like I have an IV adrenaline drip going on. A little coming in steadily kills pain, makes strength available and doesn't exhaust me. When I get too scared I experience an adrenaline DUMP and all heck breaks loose. Light headed, weak, tire easily, inefficient rapid heart rate. Bad, bad, bad. Only way to deal with it is to prevent it. Control, control, control.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Luke" <luke@...> wrote:
    Odd timing on the scare the poo out of you comment. I was talking with my > grandparents today and my grandpa (86 now!) asked if I ever feel panicked in > a canyon. I have told other people this before but the mention of having > the poo scared out of you and my grandfather asking the question moved me to > add the comment here.

I have scared moments in some spots and actually like the mental game that > comes with it. Obviously I don't want to get too far over my head and get > myself hurt or worse. But what I do enjoy is getting in somewhere, being > overwhelmed and wondering if I can handle it.... Then the mental game starts > that I enjoy. I sit there and allow myself to feel the fear for a minute or > a few seconds or whatever seems appropriate to me internally at the time. > Then I tell myself to "put it away". Then I focus on what I need to do and > move forward. I think part of the joy in this is allowing myself to > actually "feel" the fear not bury it or hide but feel alive and see it face > to face for a brief moment. Then feel alive again while making a conscious > choice to bury it and push through it. Then feel alive again when you look > back knowing you conquered a fear that day.

Is it just me?
    Luke

From: Yahoo Canyons Group [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group] On Behalf Of > aj.outdoors > Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 7:53 PM > To: Yahoo Canyons Group
    Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Pictures and TR- Posh Spice Canyon

x2. I agree with both Tom and Ram. I've thought we were the first, and then > found out afterwards that we weren't. Have thought we were the first, and > then come across an anchor farther downcanyon. Have also ghosted some things > I think were the first, and hope others have that same sense of exploration > and adventure.
    I also agree with Ram that if it scares the poo out of you, you get the > sense of adventure whatever number of descent you are... :)
    Take care, > A.J.
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> , > "TomJones" <ratagonia@> wrote:

I've found the first sign of passage at the last rappel... or maybe it was > the second to last. Kinda disappointing...

Actually ghosting is pretty new. Certainly it opens up the possibility of > multiple first descents...

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> , > "jddiener" <jddiener@> wrote:

> --- In Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> , > "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:

I have decided to post reports and pictures without beta because I > enjoy sharing my pictures and stories and I think i have important ideas to > share about the nature of exploration and the process in general. I am also > doing it because I see no harm in spreading out impacts over a longer time > period. I also wish to leave places for those inclined to explore, to > explore. The whole world will be known at some point....but not today! And > in spite of what some wish to believe, it is not the hording of an area by a > small group of people. Its an expansive idea, this "show don't tell" thing. > More later on that.

> A question to Ram, and others. How many times have you explored a > canyon, with no prior knowledge, and then later found out it had been > descended years later? In some types of canyons, there would often be > evidence of prior descent (surviving fixed or natural anchors). How many > times have you explored a canyon, again with no prior information, and found > such evidence during passage? I guess what I am trying to get a handle on is > this: is the preservation of a sense of exploration even possible? I'd like > to think so, but I'm trying to understand if it can happen practice... > Thanks, -john

> >
  2. Luke

Luke Guest

I think it is the control part you speak of I like.

Likely different views on the same things happening inside. Fun stuff.

Luke

From: Yahoo Canyons Group [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group] On Behalf Of RAM Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 8:37 PM To: Yahoo Canyons Group Subject: [from Canyons Group] FEAR.....was: Pictures and TR- Posh Spice Canyon

When we were in this canyon last week as the 2nd descenders, there is a spot where we were stemming up and my buddy Steve Levin says..."How high are we? We must be 40 feet up!" I replied..."NO! We are three feet off the ground, what are you talking about!?!" My way of dealing.

When I am at my best, it feels like I have an IV adrenaline drip going on. A little coming in steadily kills pain, makes strength available and doesn't exhaust me. When I get too scared I experience an adrenaline DUMP and all heck breaks loose. Light headed, weak, tire easily, inefficient rapid heart rate. Bad, bad, bad. Only way to deal with it is to prevent it. Control, control, control.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> , "Luke" <luke@...> wrote:
    Odd timing on the scare the poo out of you comment. I was talking with my > grandparents today and my grandpa (86 now!) asked if I ever feel panicked in > a canyon. I have told other people this before but the mention of having > the poo scared out of you and my grandfather asking the question moved me to > add the comment here.

I have scared moments in some spots and actually like the mental game that > comes with it. Obviously I don't want to get too far over my head and get > myself hurt or worse. But what I do enjoy is getting in somewhere, being > overwhelmed and wondering if I can handle it.... Then the mental game starts > that I enjoy. I sit there and allow myself to feel the fear for a minute or > a few seconds or whatever seems appropriate to me internally at the time. > Then I tell myself to "put it away". Then I focus on what I need to do and > move forward. I think part of the joy in this is allowing myself to > actually "feel" the fear not bury it or hide but feel alive and see it face > to face for a brief moment. Then feel alive again while making a conscious > choice to bury it and push through it. Then feel alive again when you look > back knowing you conquered a fear that day.

Is it just me?
    Luke

From: Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of > aj.outdoors > Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 7:53 PM > To: Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Pictures and TR- Posh Spice Canyon

x2. I agree with both Tom and Ram. I've thought we were the first, and then > found out afterwards that we weren't. Have thought we were the first, and > then come across an anchor farther downcanyon. Have also ghosted some things > I think were the first, and hope others have that same sense of exploration > and adventure.
    I also agree with Ram that if it scares the poo out of you, you get the > sense of adventure whatever number of descent you are... :)
    Take care, > A.J.
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> , > "TomJones" <ratagonia@> wrote:

I've found the first sign of passage at the last rappel... or maybe it was > the second to last. Kinda disappointing...

Actually ghosting is pretty new. Certainly it opens up the possibility of > multiple first descents...

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> , > "jddiener" <jddiener@> wrote:

> --- In Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> , > "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:

I have decided to post reports and pictures without beta because I > enjoy sharing my pictures and stories and I think i have important ideas to > share about the nature of exploration and the process in general. I am also > doing it because I see no harm in spreading out impacts over a longer time > period. I also wish to leave places for those inclined to explore, to > explore. The whole world will be known at some point....but not today! And > in spite of what some wish to believe, it is not the hording of an area by a > small group of people. Its an expansive idea, this "show don't tell" thing. > More later on that.

> A question to Ram, and others. How many times have you explored a > canyon, with no prior knowledge, and then later found out it had been > descended years later? In some types of canyons, there would often be > evidence of prior descent (surviving fixed or natural anchors). How many > times have you explored a canyon, again with no prior information, and found > such evidence during passage? I guess what I am trying to get a handle on is > this: is the preservation of a sense of exploration even possible? I'd like > to think so, but I'm trying to understand if it can happen practice... > Thanks, -john

> >