Send us a suggestion!

UT: Zion Fat Man's Misery - May 2013

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Tyler, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Tyler

Tyler

[​IMG]

In no attempt to try to upstage @ratagonia's June 2013 TR that is getting a lot of pub today, I finally finished editing some footage from my first trip through there in May of last year. @Bill, my wife @Alene, and I started early that morning and we were treated to such beautiful views on the way in. The canyon itself was less technical than I expected, but the beauty blew me away. It's amazing how much you can forget about a canyon in the course of a year and getting back to editing the footage has reminded me that the canyons are always worth returning to.

I can't wait to get back and see this place.

Upon exiting the canyon, we had a beautiful stroll through parunuweap, but were getting a little nervous because the skies were turning grey by the time we reached the powell plaque. @Alene and I dropped our packs there and hurried down hoping to catch a view of Labyrinth Falls, but had to turn around at the large log jam/fall because we didn't feel confident we would be able to get back up without a rope (which was left behind at the powell plaque). We were so upset because we were pretty sure the falls were right around the corner. The good thing is that it will still be there for us the next time we go to do this canyon.

All of my pictures were damaged from this trip (dropped the camera in Keyhole the next day), so I only had video footage that survived from my GoPro. I apologize in advanced for the shaky moments. You can view @Bill's TR and amazing pictures from his report of our trip: Fat Man's Misery 5.2013

2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Nice. Captures the flavor of the canyon quite well.

Tom
  3. Redrockhikerboy

Redrockhikerboy

Tyler, great little video! Music selection right on. Was that big honking DSLR the camera that got swamped out in Keyhole? Did you all retrieve the camera or was it fully lost in a pothole or the flooded hallway swim? If that was the one I feel your pain...looks like a better than decent camera. I lost a really nice lens a while back in the orderville section of the birch/orderville/narrows route when a dry bag failed on me. After replacing a 500.00 dollar lens for the Canon DSLR, I have chosen to leave it behind whenever water or sand threatens--which is to say most canyons. So lately I take along a canon waterproof model, significantly cheaper and it takes a beating. It produces very decent images and video. Being encased in a plastic waterproof casing, it is not just water proof but pretty damn good with sand resistance also. I have beaten the hell out of it and am waiting for it to expire, but like the energizer bunny it keeps on going...
  4. Tyler

Tyler

That was NOT the camera that was soaked (fortunately); that one belonged to @Bill. My ruined camera was actually my iphone, which is what I use to take pictures (don't have the time/money to invest in the big DSLR).