Send us a suggestion!

Fat Man's Misery Conditions

Discussion in 'Utah' started by Andy Eastman, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Andy Eastman

Andy Eastman

Not sure if this is the place to ask this question.

I am planning to be in the Zion area in about 3 weeks and was wondering about the current conditions of Fat Man's Misery.

I have not been to the Canyon Collective website in at least a couple of years. Since then it looks like there was a significant change at the confluence of the east and west forks of FMM after the rockfall in 2016. Which leads me to my question.

How long of a rope do we need to descend FMM in its current state?

I've seen some statements that the new rappel at the confluence is a bit higher than it used to be.
  2. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

The rockfall was not at the confluence of the two forks, it was at the next rappel down in the combined canyons. I've been there after the rockfall but not, you know, super recently so someone else feel free to correct me if something else has changed, but the rappel isn't necessarily any longer, maybe by several feet at most, it's just now it has a boulder the size of a small car perched over the drop looking like it's seconds away from coming loose and flattening your group. Although from below it looks a bit more secure. I still wouldn't spend any extra time lingering underneath it.

P1490551.JPG
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

Conditions have been exceptionally dry. My GUESS is that Fat Man's is quite dry... but that probably still involves swims at a few places. Canyon water is quite cold these days, as it gets into the low 40's at night still.

Tom
    Andy Eastman likes this.
  4. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

@Andy Eastman As of April 28, 2018, the first narrows section in FMM was quite wet and probably had short swims. Note: I did not do the canyon, but checked the bottom of the first rap and several other spots from the rim, while a party of six was passing through. They were wearing wetsuits and expressed several times how glad that they were.

X2 to what deathtointernet said about the 1st rap below the confluence.
    Andy Eastman likes this.
  5. 2065toyota

2065toyota

I havn't seen or much discussion of the idea of moving a dangerous rock such as the one in Fat Man's Misery that is precariously hanging over the rap. A couple of weeks ago, a boulder about 4' around rolled and almost landed on girl in our group on the exit hike.

Should nature take it's course, or should we be making a situation safer if possible by removing a potentially fatal accident?
    hank moon likes this.
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

with or without dynamite?
  7. 2065toyota

2065toyota

with of course
    Dave Melton likes this.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

I guess it is on BLM land, so, why not?
  9. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Dynamite is so old school now days. Tannerite or Anfo is the way to go.
  10. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

Hey, what are those guys from Goblin Valley doing these days? Maybe they could help us out! I mean, I'm assuming they didn't go to jail, probably got probation or something. ;):rofl:
    Rapterman and Ram like this.
  11. Ram

Ram

They could help build a via ferrata around the boulder! :devil:
    ScottM, Rapterman and deathtointernet like this.
  12. ratagonia

ratagonia

Community Service.
  13. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

Screw that, as long as we're going there, let's go big. Escalator. Climbing around on a via ferrata might get my good hiking pants wrinkled.
  14. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

And then you could blow it up.
  15. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

I mean, if we were going to be blowing up the boulder anyway... hahaha!
  16. ratagonia

ratagonia

Rained pretty good here in Zion land today. Cold too. Snow above 5500 feet.

T
    Andy Eastman likes this.
  17. skunkteeth

skunkteeth

Wetsuits not really needed right now. Maybe one waist deep pool at second narrows. Only one swim other than grotto.

Rock looked stable from below. Looks like a steel cable was installed around a rock next to the fallen rock as an anchor? Anchored rock is adjacent to the rock that looks unstable so maybe not the best anchor location. Ghosted off tree above instead, could not remove the cable.
  18. ratagonia

ratagonia

Thanks for the report.

The Cable has been around that rock for more than a decade. Not a good choice of rappel location, these days.

It would probably be a good idea to leave a prominent sling in a carefully evaluated good anchor location, so the noobs would choose that rather than the cable as an anchor.

Tom
    Chasetharp likes this.
  19. Chasetharp

Chasetharp

Thanks for the more recent update, couldn’t find anything on candition and I was curious about the rockfall condition.