Send us a suggestion!

Family Values

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ram, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Ram

Ram

I am on the last mile of the trip, for the first time among the tourists, at the bottom of Landscape Arch. While holding my breath, to minimize the headache I get smelling colognes and perfumes, I find two youngsters crawling along on the sand, making pretty good pace and giggling with joy. My swoop in for a couple of quick pictures steals the moment for them a bit as I distract them momentarily from the joy of wherever they are in there heads while exploring the physical world.

I am enchanted by these little people.....but then I hear comments from adults. First it is mom and I quote her comments to the kids...."You are going to find scorpions if you keep doing that." When this thankfully has no effect....and I mean no effect...the girl continues to grin so wide it has to hurt, mom wades in again..."They will bite you and you will get sick."

Appalled at these tactics, I head up the small hill beyond, before my big mouth looses itself. At the crest of the hill I see a couple in their late 20's and the fella is shaking his head and says...."Can you imagine the mess all that sand is going to make in their car!" I increase my pace, with one glance back at the commando kids

I hope that these young ones were wrapped up enough in wherever they were to miss these messages sent their way
    Dream on!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Kuenn

Kuenn

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only at night.

Edgar Allan Poe
    Ram, darhawk, ratagonia and 1 other person like this.
  3. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

I think they call this "helicopter parenting" due to them always hovering.. or at least being paranoid.
    Ram and Tyler like this.
  4. Canyonbug

Canyonbug Outdoor Junkie!

Ram, I know we discussed a little in the parking lot after, but I too looked at those two kids as we passed and smiled. Being outdoors, getting dirty, it doesn't get any better than this. I now give my kids high fives when they come in with a scratch or scrape from falling down outside. They look at me funny, but I tell them, 'You were outside' that is all that matters. Go on little ones, get dirty and enjoy it.
    Ram, gajslk, Bootboy and 4 others like this.
  5. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

No no no, all wrong. Someone please give these kids an iPad!

I think it's awesome when kids get filthy playing outside, I certainly ruined my fair share of clothes as a kid. Kids not being stuck to a tablet or other electronic device these days seems to be an anomaly.

Very refreshing to see this.
    Kuenn and Ram like this.
  6. gajslk

gajslk

Good for you. Having grown up on a farm in a tiny house before even Pong was invented, I wonder about some kids today ...

Gordon
    Ram and Canyonbug like this.
  7. Ram

Ram

At the time, I felt it was just mom using a dishonest approach to get the kids out of the sand. That she was trying to scare them into complying with her wish to get up. It felt "lazy" vs. paranoid, but who knows.
  8. Kuenn

Kuenn

or briefly giving in to the knee-jerk notion that kids being kids are a bother to the general public.

I wonder how the parents would have reacted if you had plopped down and carved out your own sand angel.

Trying to be fair to the mother, I would hope to give her a pass on this one. Trusting that her little ones are cared for, watched over, loved and read to - each day. Acknowledging that instinctive patience is an attribute we all need. And knowing full well that the nurturing panes of all homes need constant washing.

To see the world through the eyes of a child is an enviable pursuit. To step onto a field of sand with the first instinct being to lie down, without a care or concern of it being on our clothes, in our shoes, down our back. To do something just because it beckons us, and resist the mature impulse of over thinking it or indulging in discriminate, cautious, moral, holistic, lawful and political exactness… Oh, how I miss those days.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Bootboy, Ram, Tom Collins and 2 others like this.
  9. Canyonbug

Canyonbug Outdoor Junkie!

Very well said @Kuenn
    Ram likes this.
  10. Cameron

Cameron Long Tall Texan by birth

When I was a little girl, my dad used to own pig farms.

One Christmas, I begged my dad to take me to see the piggies...I was all dressed up in my red velvet dress, white stockings, blonde curly hair....and black patent shoes.

What father wouldn't take her begging daughter to see the piggies in that outfit? He opened the barn door...and I ran down the center aisle and slipped in pig poop and mud. It was all over my dress, my stockings, all in my hair....just an hour before Christmas church.

My dad took me outside and hosed me off in my clothes and dropped my off at my grandparents and went hunting so he wouldn't get in trouble....or at least trying to avoid trouble for as long as possible.

To this day, when I find mud I have to run to it and stick my toes in it and get all muddy.

Much to my mother's dismay.....you can take the dirt love out of your kid. Rock on sand kids!
    Canyonbug, Ram, Kuenn and 1 other person like this.