Send us a suggestion!

FAQ Family Friendly near Hanksville

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Dread Pirate Roberts, Feb 9, 2018.

1. The Dread Pirate Roberts

The Dread Pirate Roberts

I'm planning on taking the family to Goblin Valley area for President's Day weekend to hike Crack Canyon and couple others. We are staying in Hanksville and I'm wondering if the Collective can recommend some family friendly technical canyons near Hanksville. I found a thread talking about family friendly canyons in the area, Hogwarts, Arscenic, and Slideanide were recommended but are they appropriate for this time of year?

Thanks in advance
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

How old of kids?

T
  3. The Dread Pirate Roberts

The Dread Pirate Roberts

From 5 to 14 years old. They all have experience hiking and canyoneering but not really anything too difficult.

Thanks
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

My general CLAIM, perhaps overly cautious, is to not take kids through canyons you have not done before. In which case, you would not be asking...

Slideanide, Arscenic and Constrichnine are north-facing so they tend to be cold. And at times can be quite muddy. not recommended.

East Blarney, East Lep and West Lep are kinda classics for beginners and kids. Morroco is delightful, but can involve getting wet in a couple of places. Hogwarts is good, but involves a bunch of rappels... and one silo climb over. With competent leadership, can be good. Hogs are perhaps a little much.

Tom
    Mountaineer likes this.
  5. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Angel Cove would be good for kids and is one of the easiest ones I can think of in the area.

Also, if you are at Goblin Valley already, Goblins Lair/Chamber of the Basilisk might be good, but the rappel is pretty big (82').
  6. Scott Byington

Scott Byington

Lucky Charms, Blarney, Morroco. (I've taken my kids and nephews and youngest was 8) just anticipate taking longer than normal times and spend time teaching.
    Mountaineer likes this.