Send us a suggestion!

Familiar Faces

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by davewyo1, Mar 20, 2007.

1. davewyo1

davewyo1 Guest

The Spring 2007 Mountain Gear catalog has a photo on page 82-83 which is credited as "Todd Martin rappelling Deer Creek Falls in Grand Canyon National Park.photo Tom Jones" These guys are everywhere...;-) Dave P.S. The new 2007 Five Ten Canyoneer is available for $95. in the catalog.
  2. Friends don't let friends shop at Mountaingear. Support your local shop.

----- Original Message ----- From: Yahoo Canyons Group <Yahoo Canyons Group> To: Yahoo Canyons Group <Yahoo Canyons Group> Sent: Tue Mar 20 16:25:46 2007 Subject: [from Canyons Group] Familiar Faces

The Spring 2007 Mountain Gear catalog has a photo on page 82-83 which is credited as "Todd Martin rappelling Deer Creek Falls in Grand Canyon National Park.photo Tom Jones" These guys are everywhere...;-) Dave P.S. The new 2007 Five Ten Canyoneer is available for $95. in the catalog.
  3. hank moon

hank moon Guest

On 3/20/07, Steve Mallory smallory@cox.net> wrote:
    Friends don't let friends shop at Mountaingear. Support your local shop.

Word.

Friends also don't let friends buy junk. 5.10 Canyoneers: rubbish at any price.
  4. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "hank moon" <onkaluna@...> wrote:
    On 3/20/07, Steve Mallory <smallory@...> wrote:

Friends don't let friends shop at Mountaingear. Support your local
    shop.
    Word.
    Friends also don't let friends buy junk. 5.10 Canyoneers: rubbish at > any price. - Hank > Well, I guess friends can disagree on that, but, just so people know, Mountain Gear will not have the new Canyoneers before anyone else, just as they won't have the new Kolob Hybrid pack before anyone else either.

Tom
  5. you stole my thunder as i noticed that last night. nice to see a whole page devoted to canyoneering.

bruce from bryce

>From: "davewyo1" davewyo1@yahoo.com
    Reply-To: Yahoo Canyons Group
    To: Yahoo Canyons Group
    Subject: [from Canyons Group] Familiar Faces >Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 20:25:46 -0000
    The Spring 2007 Mountain Gear catalog has a photo on page 82-83 which >is credited as "Todd Martin rappelling Deer Creek Falls in Grand >Canyon National Park.photo Tom Jones" >These guys are everywhere...;-) >Dave >P.S. The new 2007 Five Ten Canyoneer is available for $95. in the >catalog. >

_______________ 5.5%* 30 year fixed mortgage rate. Good credit refinance. Up to 5 free quotes - *Terms https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h2a5d&s=4056&p=5117&disc=y&vers=910
  6. Randi Poer

Randi Poer Guest

WOW...canyoneers are ON sale! A 5% discount! That almost covers sales tax! I paid $100.00 for mine! : (

I agree that those pricey canyoneers kinda suck. The buckles on mine fell apart after less than half a dozen canyons, and I've had to sew, rivet, and cobble them together on a regular basis. Plus they're awful to hike in! And most of the tread was gone soon after using them in sandstone canyons.

Maybe I'm just picky but I'm sick of having to haul my hiking shoes through all the canyons!

Anybody got a good recommendation for good hikers with sticky rubber that drain well? I'm in the market for shoes!

PS: who wants a stinky old pair of cobbled, riveted, sewed, tread-less canyoneers!? Size 6 in men's (oh that's another thing - they don't make women's sizes). Is that company sexist?

hank moon onkaluna@gmail.com> wrote: On 3/20/07, Steve Mallory smallory@cox.net> wrote: >

Friends also don't let friends buy junk. 5.10 Canyoneers: rubbish at any price.
  7. hank moon

hank moon Guest

On 3/20/07, Tom Jones ratagonia@gmail.com> wrote: > Well, I guess friends can disagree on that, but, just so people know, > Mountain Gear will not have the new Canyoneers before anyone else, > just as they won't have the new Kolob Hybrid pack before anyone else > either.

Damn. Rat-baitin getting harder than ever these days. It's a cryin' shame. Hey, what's the scoop on the Hybrid pack? Seen pix but no details...
  8. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Randi Poer <advntr_inxs@...> wrot > Anybody got a good recommendation for good hikers with sticky rubber that drain well? > I'm in the market for shoes!

Sure. I love the 5.10 canyoneers. I love hiking in them. So comfortable. They last me dozens of canyons. They drain well. And the sticky rubber is to die for. I am such a better climber in them. Haven't had a buckle fail in the last 4 years. Just goes to show you..Different strokes fer different folks ;-) R
  9. Eric

Eric Guest

I agree, I love my 5.10 Canyoneers, I did a three day backpack trip using them as my only shoe. I'd rather hike in my 5.10's than any other pair of shoes I've owned. I got a pair of Exum Rivers for free, but never wear them because my 5.10's are more comfy and the rubber seems to stick better. It all just depends on the person.

Eric.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Randi Poer <advntr_inxs@> wrot
    Anybody got a good recommendation for good hikers with sticky > rubber that drain well?
    I'm in the market for shoes!
    Sure. I love the 5.10 canyoneers. I love hiking in them. So > comfortable. They last me dozens of canyons. They drain well. And the > sticky rubber is to die for. I am such a better climber in them. > Haven't had a buckle fail in the last 4 years. Just goes to show > you..Different strokes fer different folks ;-) > R >
  10. restrac2000

restrac2000 Guest

My narrow feet fit much better in Sportivas than those floppy Canyoneers. I am glad to have someone else filling the niche, canyoneers were "good" when they were the only shoe on the market. Each shoe has its tradeoffs....the Exum Rivers just have fewer for me.

More importantly....Tom...do share on the Hybrid pack..

Youth

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Randi Poer <advntr_inxs@> wrot
    Anybody got a good recommendation for good hikers with sticky > rubber that drain well?
    I'm in the market for shoes!
    Sure. I love the 5.10 canyoneers. I love hiking in them. So > comfortable. They last me dozens of canyons. They drain well. And the > sticky rubber is to die for. I am such a better climber in them. > Haven't had a buckle fail in the last 4 years. Just goes to show > you..Different strokes fer different folks ;-) > R >
  11. mike_dallin

mike_dallin Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "restrac2000" <Happyfeet00@...> wrote:
    My narrow feet fit much better in Sportivas than those floppy > Canyoneers. I am glad to have someone else filling the niche, > canyoneers were "good" when they were the only shoe on the market. > Each shoe has its tradeoffs....the Exum Rivers just have fewer for me.

I agree. It is rare that a trip with 5.10 canyoneers doesn't leave me with either arch pain or blackened toenails. Something about the last they use for those shoes just isn't compatible with my foot. The Exum Rivers are a dream though, the most comfortable canyon shoe I've found - no pain, nothing.

I love 5.10's Anaszi Moccasyms for rock climbing though. Best I've found for fit and stickiness. Then again I don't hike around in climbing shoes, so maybe the damage hasn't had time to set in. :)

Someone needs to make either a 'budget' canyoneering shoe or a shoe that isn't destroyed after a dozen days out. Too bad Dunlop Volleys are hard to get in the US. I wish I'd bought a suitcase full last time I was in Oz. Live and learn.

M
  12. Koen

Koen Guest

Someone needs to make either a 'budget' canyoneering shoe or a shoe > that isn't destroyed after a dozen days out. Too bad Dunlop Volleys > are hard to get in the US. I wish I'd bought a suitcase full last > time I was in Oz. Live and learn. >

Last year I needed 40 pairs of Canyoneers for our rental department. Problem was, they were sold out for the remainder of the year in Europe...

I took a look at the rest of 5.10's catalog and decided on this model: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/6181008/c/34250.html

Result: not a single shoe broken last season, we don't have to buy new ones for this year.

Plusses: - much more comfortable than a Canyoneer, by an incredibly wide margin. - very good ankle support. - bombproof, not a single shoe failed (of 40 pairs). During a similar season about 3/4 of the Canyoneers would typically fail. - exactly the same grip as the Canyoneers.

Minuses: - for wide feet. - drain and dry very slowly. The first one is a bonus is cold water, the second is not nice when doing another canyon the day after in still soaking wet shoes. Disregard this if you're into dry canyons :).

Koen
  13. --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Steve Mallory" <smallory@...> wrote:
    > Friends don't let friends shop at Mountaingear. Support your local shop. >

I am all for supporting your local shop but unfortunately, most local shops don't support canyoneering.

I live in Boulder Colorado, a town with access to more specialty outdoor shops than anywhere in the U.S. Getting any of these shops to support canyoneering has been like pulling teeth.

Support your local shop first, but if they won't carry canyoneering gear, shop at Mountain Gear. Or better yet, buy on-line from Imlay. At least these companies support our sport.

Charly