Send us a suggestion!

Fall Rescue Training

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by redneckdan, Oct 17, 2017.

1. redneckdan

redneckdan Barely Domesticated...

Been a busy fall season here in Minnesota.

I spent 7 days in NY attend a ropes that rescue course on personal rescue skills. It was intense and physically demanding. Much learning occurred. The final exam was conducting a solo 100' rescue, hauling your victim from bottom to top. At the beginning of the week I would have said 'impossible' but it was quite doable. The rig consists of a Petzl frog ascending system with a SOF run from the handled ascender to the victim. The victim is on a grigri. Both are backed up on Petzl ASAPs. The rescue ascends until the SOF is fully extended. Then hauls the victim on the SOF using a 2nd handled ascender to add leg power to the haul system. The rescuer uses the victims grigri as the progress capture device.

First Saturday in October we conducted a squad level training event at a local open pit mine. Only a handful of people have been in this pit in the last 100 years. I'm at the transition to vertical, hauling a wrecked mountain bike out that some jackass threw into the pit.

Attached Files:

• Photo Sep 16, 3 20 32 PM.
      Filename:
      Photo Sep 16, 3 20 32 PM.jpg
      File size:
      6.9 MB
      Views:
    • FB_IMG_1508252817971.
      Filename:
      FB_IMG_1508252817971.jpg
      File size:
      516.7 KB
      Views:
    ratagonia likes this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

What about that perfectly good ladder? Why use ropes?????????????????????????????????????
  3. redneckdan

redneckdan Barely Domesticated...

Haha, we tested it, it's a lot sketchier than it looks. It's the original escape ladder from circa 1900
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

A Historic relic. Awesome.

T