Send us a suggestion!

Extra large rope bag for 500-600ft ropes?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by NateFlet, May 3, 2019.

1. NateFlet

NateFlet

I've personally never wanted to own a rope bag until I realized the benefits of them whilst in my last canyon. I have a 550' length of Canyonero that always gets tangled up on large rappels, making it extremely difficult for the first person who rappels down. After experiencing the tangle-free benefits of a rope bag on a smaller drop, I want to know if there are any rope bags made for my larger rope for that easy deployment down rappels. I haven't found much on REAL canyoneering rope bags designed to carry such an amount of rope, though it seems understandable as the bag would need to be able to handle being thrown off massive drops. Just wondering what all of you guys think about the situation. Thanks.
  2. Andrew J Farrow

Andrew J Farrow

i has a couple of HUGE bags - made for rope access work in europe - they hold 150m of " 11mm marlow defence " with ease

but unsure availiability to you

for an " off the shelf " solution - have you looked at pigs ??? - the haul bags designed for big wall climbing ??

ETA : bite the bullet and get a cottage gear manufacturer to build you a bag to fit ??
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
  3. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

4. Kuenn

Kuenn

OnRope1 has a variety of rope bag sizes - for long rope-care applications.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

I use an old heaps pack, frame removed, for my stunt-rappel rope.

How sophisticated a product do you want? Drainage? Flotation? Stiff rim?

One thing that would work well for you is, perhaps, two x 300' rope bags.

The market for this seems to be rather small, and there are other methods for keeping a rope un-tangled in this scenario. Essentially, laying the rope out on the ground so it will spool out nicely.

Tom
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

I was going to make up a 600'er simple ropebag for Swaney... email me if you'd like to get in on that.

Tom
  7. NateFlet

NateFlet

Thanks everyone for the replys, I'll have to look into them all and see what the options are.
  8. NateFlet

NateFlet

Yea my original thought was to buy 2 rope bags for 300ft ropes, though I figured i'd check up to see what other options there are before going for that. I find laying out the rope not the best option as usually were racing against time in canyons with the larger drops and finding the space to efficiently lay out the rope can be a big challenge with so many damn boulders and rocks and foliage all over the place. I think I might try out a 300ft rope bag + laying out the top half of the rope (sort of) nicely to be deployed... maybe that'd work.
  9. NateFlet

NateFlet

I cant deny getting in on something like that! Ill have to hit you up about that.
  10. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

Similar to Tom, I used an old 45 liter pack to fit 610' of Canyon Fire rope. There was a little bit of space left over but not much. The key when selecting a pack is that it be one that you dont mind chucking off a 500 foot cliff and having it blow up. But it shouldn't be so old that it will actually blow to pieces on impact or you will have a much longer day than intended.
    Preston Gable and NateFlet like this.
  11. John Diener

John Diener

Along with the rope and old pack, bring Jolly Green to carry it. :)
  12. Canyonero

Canyonero

Oh my goodness, if you must lug 550 feet of rope somewhere please let it not be 9 mm canyonero. I've got 100 and 200 foot Canyoneros that I can't get any of my partners to carry as it is.
    NateFlet likes this.
  13. NateFlet

NateFlet

HAHA yep its a harsh lifestyle. I have considered going with a smaller diameter rope, but due to the abundance of sharp lava rock out here on the island, I prefer the extra thickness. I have wanted to get myself some Sterling IV (which I hear is slightly lighter due to materials and being .2 mm less thick), but its quite the purchase... especially since I'd be grabbing a large length of it.

If you have any better suggestions, let me know. Trust me, with the long approaching and exiting out here, I'd love to take off some of the weight.
  14. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Just buy a euro-style canyoneering pack to use as its own rope bag.
  15. zul

zul

Even cheaper, use a large overnight backpack that you might already have. As in, the large backpack is your rope bag. If you had a specific rope bag made to fit a 550ft rope, what canyoneering pack would carry it?

Pound some grommets for drain holes into the big pack, add a large garbage bag for a ghetto pack liner to help keep that rope dry.
    NateFlet likes this.
  16. NateFlet

NateFlet

Honestly, I dont know why I hadn't thought of this earlier, but I do happen to have an old DMM Porter 70L bag that may work as a rope bag for the 550'. I dont think the bag floats too well... but it does have a drainage hole at the bottom. I can tell that it will be a hassle getting it into my main pack but I think I could make it work... gonna have to do some quick testing.
  17. ratagonia

ratagonia

Do you go solo?

The few times I have done the stunt rappels with the 600 foot rope, the young strong good-looking guy or gal gets to carry the pack with the big rope, and his/her other gear is split up among everyone else.

Tom
  18. Kuenn

Kuenn

Just curious, between what 2 numbers is the threshold from long rappel to “stunt” rappel crossed? I’ve tried to research it, but can’t seem to find the answer.o_O

Another consideration that’s a cheap and yet viable solution for the large rope bag is to go by your nearest army surplus store and get one of the newer (not canvas) duffel bags with shoulder straps. I’ve picked up a few over the years that are made of nylon and work quite well for those stunt outings.
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    NateFlet likes this.
  19. ratagonia

ratagonia

Like many subjects, Science is decidedly non-committal on at what length this important distinction occurs.

T
    Kuenn likes this.
  20. NateFlet

NateFlet

Oh boy I don't think I even want to imagine what canyoneering alone out here would be like... Definitely something I wouldn't want to do haha. I do split up some of my gear with the rest of my group to take some of the weight off but Its still no easy task. Unfortunately, I'm the youngest guy so I feel bad giving anyone else the weight of the rope (I just tell myself its a great workout). I have been debating cutting up the long Canyonero and switching it out for a 600' Canyon Fire to save some weight...