Send us a suggestion!

Exploring Options

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Kris, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Kris

Kris Guest

Hello, I don't usually post to this forum, because my canyoneering activity is sporadic at best (I live in Michigan and occasionally visit Utah).

I've decided to post, because I would like to come out this fall to explore some canyons I haven't managed to get to in the past and maybe do the full Buckskin Gulch hike (have done partial day hikes there in the past). That said, I don't want to go alone (for safety's sake), and my usual hiking friend has made other travel plans this year. So, basically, I'm looking for possible canyoneering companions.

If anyone would like to know more about my skill level/experience, etc. please contact me directly. kristospencer@yahoo.com

Kris
  2. TomJones

TomJones Guest

Hi Kris, and welcome to the Canyons Group - or at least to non-lurkdom status! ;-}

I think a little more bait thrown out here might increase the fruitfulness of your request. A list of canyons you have done, and a list of what you would like to do might be helpful; and a very brief description of yourself (age, gender, long walks on the beach with a heavy pack...) would be useful.

Fall is a long way off, and few of the locals make their plans more than a month in advance. So be sure to repeat your request as things move along.

Yahoo hides email addresses, so if you want people to respond, you must state it in an 'open' format like: kris.kringle at northpole dot com

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Kris" <kristospencer@...> wrote:
    Hello, I don't usually post to this forum, because my canyoneering activity is sporadic at best (I live in Michigan and occasionally visit Utah).
    I've decided to post, because I would like to come out this fall to explore some canyons I haven't managed to get to in the past and maybe do the full Buckskin Gulch hike (have done partial day hikes there in the past). That said, I don't want to go alone (for safety's sake), and my usual hiking friend has made other travel plans this year. So, basically, I'm looking for possible canyoneering companions.
    If anyone would like to know more about my skill level/experience, etc. please contact me directly. kristospencer@...
    Kris >
  3. Kris

Kris Guest

Thanks Tom.

I'm male, 42 and fit, broad-minded and politically independent. I have moderate backpacking/camping/rappelling experience. My most (but not very) technical canyoneering experience is the Subway (top down). I've done day hikes in Buckskin, the Narrows, Orderville...

I'm a writer by trade -- corporate propaganda by day, fiction and music criticism by night. My current project is an outdoor adventure novel and I'm looking to get more canyoneering experience as "field research" for a second novel. I may be able to come out earlier than fall if there is a group outing planned and they don't mind a relative newbie coming along to learn more about the "art and science" of canyoneering. A multi-day experience would be preferred.

If you have an opening contact me at kristospencer at yahoo dot com

Thanks

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "TomJones" <ratagonia@...> wrote:
    Hi Kris, and welcome to the Canyons Group - or at least to non-lurkdom status! ;-}
    I think a little more bait thrown out here might increase the fruitfulness of your request. A list of canyons you have done, and a list of what you would like to do might be helpful; and a very brief description of yourself (age, gender, long walks on the beach with a heavy pack...) would be useful.
    Fall is a long way off, and few of the locals make their plans more than a month in advance. So be sure to repeat your request as things move along.
    Yahoo hides email addresses, so if you want people to respond, you must state it in an 'open' format like: kris.kringle at northpole dot com
    Tom
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Kris" <kristospencer@> wrote:

If anyone would like to know more about my skill level/experience, etc. please contact me directly. kristospencer@

Kris
    >
  4. Jenny

Jenny Guest

Sounds good, Kris. And for the single gals? Chest measurements and the type of camera you prefer?

TOTALLY just kidding. (Not at all appropriate.) 'Just saying...... cougar dot com

Seriously, good luck with this post. I've recently become a member and this forum has skyrocketed my knowledge beyond words. I just returned from a canyoneering trip with a bunch of strangers and now have a list of 28 new friends, a handful of which are very dear to me and will be LIFELONG, for sure. Great place to begin!

JW

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Kris" <kristospencer@...> wrote:
    Thanks Tom.
    I'm male, 42 and fit, broad-minded and politically independent. I have moderate backpacking/camping/rappelling experience. My most (but not very) technical canyoneering experience is the Subway (top down). I've done day hikes in Buckskin, the Narrows, Orderville...
    I'm a writer by trade -- corporate propaganda by day, fiction and music criticism by night. My current project is an outdoor adventure novel and I'm looking to get more canyoneering experience as "field research" for a second novel. I may be able to come out earlier than fall if there is a group outing planned and they don't mind a relative newbie coming along to learn more about the "art and science" of canyoneering. A multi-day experience would be preferred.
    Thanks
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "TomJones" <ratagonia@> wrote:

Tom

If anyone would like to know more about my skill level/experience, etc. please contact me directly. kristospencer@

Kris
  5. Kris

Kris Guest

For the record, I'm happily married and use a Nikon P80 and Flip. :)

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Jenny" <djcwest@...> wrote:

Sounds good, Kris. And for the single gals? Chest measurements and the type of camera you prefer?
    TOTALLY just kidding. (Not at all appropriate.) 'Just saying...... > cougar dot com
    Seriously, good luck with this post. I've recently become a member and this forum has skyrocketed my knowledge beyond words. I just returned from a canyoneering trip with a bunch of strangers and now have a list of 28 new friends, a handful of which are very dear to me and will be LIFELONG, for sure. Great place to begin!
    JW

Thanks Tom.

Thanks

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "TomJones" <ratagonia@> wrote:

Tom

Kris