Send us a suggestion!

Experimental Doubled Girth Block

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by archietect, May 15, 2021.

1. archietect

archietect

In the interest of ginning up some content/controversy for the forum, feel free to criticize and/or experiment with this:

2. nkanarik

nkanarik

interesting idea, but here is my take/observation
    1. seems longer / more complicated to construct/remove than a triple clove hitch. I never had an issue with the carabiner/clove hitch getting stuck (granted, this is a small sample set)
    2. To being with, I often use releasable figure 8 as a block (rather than a carabiner), which gives me more options (i.e. I can lower someone if something went wrong)

I'll let the experts chime in :)
    Alex George likes this.
  3. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Kinda cool. Looks (acts?) more like a knot block since no part of the carabiner is against the rapide.

Given that option, I'd probably just use a overhand (or figure eight or nine) on a bight if the knot was big enough not slip into/through the rapide. Then could clip back to the rap strand if need be.
    Yellow Dart likes this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

Rings/rapides vary widely out in the field. Knot blocks on small ropes tend to be also rather small, and can be incompatible with some of the rings that are out there.

It is good to say "be sure the knot cannot get stuck in the ring", but we do know that people develop habits and, for instance, do not check that the knot cannot get stuck in the ring. Heck! I've seen experienced canyoneers set up a biner block on a ring where the biner could slip through the particular ring... and yes, that was a mighty big ring!

Thus, and so forth... in conclusion, I suggest this is a less powerful, less useful way of doing it. In the few instances where the rope would get damaged in the retrieval, a Toggle Device does a good job of eliminating the problem.

Tom
  5. archietect

archietect

I don’t think it’s fair to categorize it as a knot block, it would quickly capsize without a carabiner.

Imo the objective was something that could go head-to-head with a clove, constrictor, or triple clove and come out as a superior technique. Maybe fiddling is an improvement over the carabiner block, but even if we have the P51 Mustang now, the ole’ P38 Lightning can still get new engines if you see my point.
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

NICE!!!
    archietect likes this.
  7. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

The way you dressed it, looks like if you removed the carabiner, it'd just snug up against one of the rope strands. Unless I'm missing something.

I can tie an overhand on a bite and clip a biner to it way faster and easier than the girth hitch thing you got going on in the video. Another advantage of the overhand on a bite (or a clove hitch on a biner for that matter), is I can tie it quickly, blindfolded, with one hand. Simple and fast, easy to inspect.

We've upgraded to jets and drones. Don't be stuck on prop technology...ha ha.
    Kuenn and hank moon like this.