Send us a suggestion!

Everybody poops.. camp toilet conversation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chasetharp, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Chasetharp

Chasetharp

We have been using a camp toilet with kitty litter and wag bags for awhile now.
    (For those new to canyoneering, toilet paper piles are a sin.)
    Anyways, I’m wondering what people do to attempt to control the smells that accompany a camp toilet, the kitty litter seems to make little difference.
    We used to run to the camp toilets but a lot of our adventures are more remote areas than sandthrax campground.
    If this is a senseless or awkward topic to most, I understand, but it is something worth improving upon!
    RossK likes this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Good topic!

We use the Restop system: Restop2 bags hold about 5 poops, and seal, and thus do not... well, smell foul but not too bad. The restop Sealed Bucket with foam rubber seat and screwtop lid is quite effective. Seems to manage the smell okay. You can put the filled and sealed bags in the Bucket. Pretty good seal, but it still rides in the back of the truck, rather than inside. Toss the bags as soon as you can find a dumpster.

Tom
    Chasetharp likes this.
  3. Deborah Davis

Deborah Davis

I use my 5-gallon bucket with toilet lid and kitty litter/trash compactor bags most of the time. It does a good job of keeping the smell down, even with multiple users, but I also do everything I can to keep it out of the sun. If there's any sun on the poo bucket, there's nothing you can do about the smell. I double or triple bag the poo bag when I break it down at the end of the trip. The bag rides in the back of my truck and goes into the first dumpster I find (same thing Tom does).

Keeping the poo bucket out of the sun is really important.
    Chasetharp and ratagonia like this.
  4. cjhaines

cjhaines Chris

Something I've learned from running rivers is that it's important to keep the toilet out of the sun and away from camp, preferably downwind. Also make sure you have a good seal (gasket) on whatever toilet lid you have. That said, a camp toilet is what it is and you never totally get rid of the smell.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Chasetharp likes this.
  5. Jason Linder

Jason Linder

imageService.

+

product_420_lg1.

=

:D

cjhaines likes this.
  6. Jason Linder

Jason Linder

7. ratagonia

ratagonia

8. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

9. Jason Linder

Jason Linder

Now available for pre-order at CUSA.com! (Rasta colors coming soon)

2018-09-18 (1).
    2018-09-18.
  10. Ali Miller

Ali Miller

I've always wondered where the emperor's throne is...
    Preston Gable and hank moon like this.
  11. ratagonia

ratagonia

12. Chasetharp

Chasetharp

Ton of helpful tips and comments! I do agree with the sun and heat being a big issue, but I like to leave it out of the vehicles as much as possible and sometimes there is no shade unless I can leave it under a vehicle. I hadn’t considered a gasket setup for the lid, will look into that as ours doesn’t have one. Also a good tip on the compactor bags, trash bags are quite thin. Had no idea the restop had so many benefits! We made the mistake of getting a generic setup from rei.
  13. Kuenn

Kuenn

Yikes...that image is burned in now. Thanks, Tom.

Ditto on the kitty litter. Agree that most treatment methods are lipstick on a pig. However, I have used ashes (especially when there's a base camp) and garden lime - seems to work better than Tidy Cats.
    Chasetharp likes this.
  14. Deborah Davis

Deborah Davis

If I'm going somewhere with no shade, I have a large (big enough for two people to lay under) beach-type umbrella for the poo bucket that I put up for shade and privacy. I stake it down very thoroughly, and I tie it to whatever bushes are nearby, in case the wind comes up. If I can't avoid some sun, I try to make sure it's morning sun.
    Chasetharp likes this.