Send us a suggestion!

Escapes and Captures

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Ram, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

2. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Same exact drop as above post ^^^^^

Ram and Tom Collins like this.
  3. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Also, A well executed 2 man haul

Kuenn, Ram, John Diener and 3 others like this.
  4. John Diener

John Diener

Nice, I really think that third anchored line for the haulee is very nice to have, when possible.
    -john
    Ram and Bootboy like this.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

One man hauling, rope pulley-ed through a carabiner, other side fixed --- I am calling that a 1-1/2 man haul. The person actually doing the hauling has a 2:1 advantage.

Tom
    Ram likes this.
  6. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Except it wasn't one man hauling, there were 2 of us hauling from the top and the guy coming out of the pothole had a 3rd fixed line that he was using to help.
    Ram likes this.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

Didn't see much hauling from the second person. That side did not seem to move much. Therefore It looks like functionally a fixed line.

If you are going to do a two-man haul, tie a knot in the bight, and have the victim clip in to that. Result: force applies is equal to the sum of the two people hauling. With a pully at the waist, the force applied is twice the weakest person pulling, and in the event of a slip or one person not pulling very well, traction is not lost.

In this scenario, the first person was in a good position to pull strongly and did. The second person was in a weak position to pull, and did not do very much.

Of course, maybe the geometry was not as it looks in the film. The Magic of Hollywood!!!

Tom
    Ram likes this.
  8. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

I think it was a little of both, I was the second man and not in a great position so I wasn't hauling as much, but I was doing more than you can see in the video. I'll have to remember to tie a knot next time, I wasn't the first one up and I just took over to relieve someone and send them forward.
    Ram likes this.
  9. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

My favorite kind of potholes escapes- where you get a ride prior to being plucked out by strong dudes.
    PA033144.JPG
  10. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

I avoid tying a knot in the bite because it creates a contact point between rope and rock. Dragging a loaded knot up the wall of a pothole can kill a rope in a single haul. Something to be aware of.

We haul like this frequently and have never dropped anyone. :)
    Ram and Tom Collins like this.
  11. ratagonia

ratagonia

Past performance is no guarantee of future results...

More important on the higher ones. And with feeble old men hauling.

T
  12. Erin

Erin

I just discovered this thread and am excited to study up on these techniques because I KNOW this is an area where I need help. :help: Thanks, Ram!
    Ram likes this.
  13. Canyonero

Canyonero

Not sure I understand the physics behind this. Are you suggesting if one person is hauling at 100 lbs and the other at 50 lbs, you get 150 lbs of force with a knot and only 100 lbs without a knot. Is that really true? I'm going to have to think about that for a while.
  14. Canyonero

Canyonero

15. ratagonia

ratagonia

The strand of rope going to puller A and the strand of rope going to puller B are connected by a pulley - so the tension in rope A is the same as the tension in rope B.

In essence, the stronger puller cannot pull with more force than the weaker puller - but CAN pull faster at that weaker force. If Puller A pulls with 100 lbs but does not move the rope, then Puller B will pull with 101 lbs and pull rope through the pulley, lifting the Ram... er, the load at a moderate pace.

Tom
  16. Erin

Erin

My girlfriends and I are heading out this weekend with the purpose of practicing "captures" and spotting techniques, so I am stalking this thread and loving it. Although I our group is made up of 4 short girls, so some of these ideas might not work for us. But that's where the fun and creativity comes in! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk