Send us a suggestion!

Escapes and Captures

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Ram, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Ram

Ram

Allowing one's self to be captured is an act of "surrender." These are all very good athletes. The drops being shown here are short. Most of these folks are nimble enough to come down these drops "hot" without consequence, but to do so over and over again, person after person.... and a sprained or broken foot or ankle is inevitable. A one in a hundred...or even a one thousand chance, done a thousand times leads to someone's number being up. Note that hand lines are used to help, if you are not last. And dragging pack helps the last one, if needed.

But most important is to note the body position of those being captured. Lined up, vertically centered and using maximum friction on the rock. Most important is that the knees are straight. A bent knee, on someone coming in, reduces friction and makes the capture many times more difficult. The pushing in on shins, knees, thighs is what allows people to "bring in" someone MUCH bigger than themselves. You have to trust your partners bringing you in. We all like to climb and scramble about, but where applicable and safest, the "Art of the Capture" is very rewarding and promotes group bonding. It also saves time and is less impacting as no anchors need building.

What does it look like when someone 6'7" captures somebody 6'7"?
    Like this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

LAPAR....Last Person at risk.
    [​IMG]

Slight overhangs make it harder
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  2. Rapterman

Rapterman

Love these posts! :twothumbs:
    Perhaps the most non-obvious part of canyoneering to climber-type-noobs (like myself)
    We are heading to Ice Cube tomorrow and going to see how many raps we can do as an assist...
    :)
    Ram, Tom Collins and Kuenn like this.
  3. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

I was lucky enough in my early canyon days to hook up with a guy whose philosophy was when you get to a drop you don't look for an anchor, you look for a way to downclimb/partner assist, no matter how difficult/high it might be. Sometimes if it even looked like it might go he would start down it (carefully of course) and see. If he got stuck (which was rare) he'd ask me to drop a line, but only then. Of course he was my height so I knew that once he made it down I could as well so I learned quickly that a lot of places that most people rap could actually be downclimbed with a little thought and care.
    Ram and Rapterman like this.
  4. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Unprotected downclimbing always works until it doesn't.......

That's a whole different thing than assist / captures which are safe and fast
  5. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Both plz
    hlscowboy and Rapterman like this.
  6. Rapterman

Rapterman

What Dart says!
    Pretty Plz
  7. Ram

Ram

Another for your viewing pleasure...

This is a long throw. Eventually sand needed taking out of the potshot to make it light enough to work
    [​IMG]

It was a swim for most of the way but we got lucky at the exit rim, as we could stand in 5 feet of water. The escapee uses the support teams knees as a step, to get started. Then pulls on the potshot while being pushed from behind. A second person will get pushed out the same way, with a hand from above
    [​IMG]

Once two are out we switch to the "two person haul"
    The person who is hauled attaches the biner to their harness. Then the haulers count...1, 2, 3! At three the person below jumps up and to their knees
    and the haulers pull in rope.. Repeat drill 3 or 4 times and the person is up and out. Other methods often used is the "one to 1.5" haul, used more often when the exit is overhanging. The two man haul is used here because it is easier to not have the rope drag on the rock. The haulers will lean out a little and when the person hauled gets on their knees, the rope will not contact the rock at all

[​IMG]
    LonePeak and Scott Chandler like this.
  8. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

9. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Ram and LonePeak like this.
  10. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

Rule #1: "Look good.

Attached Files:

• IMG_1543.JPG
      Filename:
      IMG_1543.JPG
      File size:
      186 KB
      Views:
    Ram likes this.
  11. Canyonero

Canyonero

I thought rule # 1 was "You can wear anything you want in a canyon because it's going to be thrown away at the end anyway."
    DesertDessert likes this.
  12. Canyonero

Canyonero

I think this thread needs that picture of me doing the underwater shoulder stand, what do you say @BaJenkins? Don't you have that picture?
    Ram and BaJenkins like this.
  13. BaJenkins

BaJenkins

Here it is @Canyonero. Your famous white helmet is glowing just below the surface. [​IMG]
  14. Canyonero

Canyonero

That's the one. That was a heckuva escape for the first person out.
  15. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

It looks like you've already got a couple of people out in this pic, why continue to do a shoulder stand and not have the people already out haul up the rest of those in the pothole?
  16. Canyonero

Canyonero

You caught us. It's just for the picture. But it wasn't for the first one and really the second out.
  17. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Gotcha, I've done one or two of those as well, fortunately I was never the guy on the bottom.
    ratagonia likes this.
  18. Drock

Drock

Wow, this is an incredible thread!