Send us a suggestion!

Escalante utah area May 19-30th, 2017

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by Adventure Muffin, May 10, 2017.

1. Adventure Muffin

Adventure Muffin Adventure Muffin

Hi,
    Looking for partner(s) to explore the slot canyons of Utah May 19-30, 2017. Primarily non technical but could be 'roped' into a few technical climbs as well.

Some initial exploration has been done. An area that looks promising is the Escalante area of UTAH. Kelsey, in his non technical canyon hiking guide to the Colorado plateau, 6th edition, list a slew of canyon options, number 70 to 82, in this area, enough to keep us in slot canyon paradise. Be great if we can leave the car in one spot and do a circumnavigation of canyons in the area.

This is a good time for slot canyons, as they stay cooler than wide canyons. I have set up a general route based on his recommendation on this map. http://caltopo.com/m/F4KE It’s about 100 miles, but needs to be flushed out and researched..

Do you have time and interest this year to make this journey this year?
  2. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny Stemming Minions

your map wouldn't load but i'm always up for a day hike. I live here. havent been to zebra since the fall. Done most around. I don't have backpacking gear.
  3. Adventure Muffin

Adventure Muffin Adventure Muffin

Hi Wisconnyjohnny
    Interesting name-connected with the state of Wisconsin perhaps? I stem from that part of the nation.
    Thanks for your offer. Day hike would be great! Good to hear that you live there. I am particularily interested in a series of hikes/canyons that can be done solo, as it looks like there's not many that have the time to join me. Have any thoughts on such an endevor?
    Best
    David
  4. wisconnyjohnny

each fork of Big horn canyon. spooky and peek a boo. Zebra and tunnel. Redbreaks non technical. Those are the most popular as far as hiking go.
    John Styrnol likes this.
  5. wisconnyjohnny

Round valley draw and bull valley gorge too! Most excellent canyons non technical
  6. Eamon

Eamon

Hello, I have the 19th through 21st off. Where will you be around then?
  7. wisconnyjohnny

anybody here yet? bueller? bueller? pm me for a hike?