Send us a suggestion!

Escalante April 30 - May 8 - Looking for buddies

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by vanizzle17, Apr 9, 2018.

1. vanizzle17

vanizzle17

I'll be in Escalante for work / play that week. Need canyon pals. Help a lady out. :happy:
    Would be down to do pretty much anything in the area. TBD.
    -Vanessa
    spinesnaper and BigBert like this.
  2. BigBert

BigBert

Hey Vanessa, Ill be heading through Escalante area end of April - beginning of May. We need a 3rd team member for neon and a few others to help with pothole escapes. PM me and lets maybe try and link up.

vanizzle17 likes this.
  3. Scott Byington

Scott Byington

If you guys are down there and are able to provide a flow report of Calf Creek Falls, I'd appreciate it.
  4. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1 yeti in the jungle

Has the ban on rapping Lower Calf Creek Falls been lifted?
  5. Scott Byington

Scott Byington

I didn't know it wasn't permitted any longer. Is swimming still allowed???
  6. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1 yeti in the jungle

Pretty sure the ban went in place in 2016.....something about a rope left behind possibly? Assuming swimming is still allowed

EDIT: Found the discussion over on Bob's Canyoning Forum about it. There is mention of going in from above where there are no signs and claiming ignorance and forgiveness, but where your own own moral compass falls on that situation is up to you

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?76315-Lower-Calf-Creek-Falls-rappelling-ban
  7. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

04/22/18: I just phoned the BLM in Escalante and they confirmed that Calf Creek (entire drainage) remains closed to canyoneering.

@Scott Byington
    Skyloaf and yetigonecrazy1 like this.
  8. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

Yes please. I live here always looking for partners. Easy to moderately hard stuff!!!! Lemme know
    spinesnaper and vanizzle17 like this.
  9. Jbancerewicz

Jbancerewicz Jerzy

Hi there! I would love to join you guys, Neon canyon is on my list.If you have a room for me just let me know when you are planning to meet so I could plan my arriving there.I am from Chicago.Best time for me is following week: Monday 30 th of April till 5 th May. Send me info to PM. My mail: jbancerewicz@yahoo.com
  10. qedcook

qedcook

I'd be game to join if there is still room. What canyons did people have in mind?
    vanizzle17 likes this.
  11. vanizzle17

vanizzle17

I dont really have a plan yet, depends on who wants to come with, and what theyre looking to get into. Ive heard a few shouts for neon, but otherwise i think it depends on skill level and what people are up for?! I'm headed down tomorrow for the week. Feel free to contact me. 7 three 4 eight nine 1 two three 8 two.
    vafabian at gmail dot com
    :)
  12. czm

czm

I'd really appreciate hearing how the last pothole is in Neon. We're hoping to go soon. Thanks
  13. 2065toyota

2065toyota

I have friends going to go do Neon this Saturday
    czm likes this.
  14. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

Hey guys.
    The benefit of serving food in Escalante is ya get canyon reports immediately. As of today neon is dry. A group went thru and no wet suit needed. Keep in mind there is a pesky system coming thru tomorrow. No real energy in it and I’ve seen 10th of an inch of rain forecasted. Maybe I’ll meet up for one canyon Wednesday or Thursday if it’s a smaller group. Cheers
    czm, Ali Miller and 2065toyota like this.
  15. Steve Jorge

Steve Jorge

As of Saturday the water in Neon didn't get much higher than my knees. No wetsuit was required. The last keeper (right before the cathedral) was practically walk-out-able and dry. The first keeper (avoided if entering via the "sport" entrance) was 10+ feet deep and dry. Other folks that weekend were telling me they bypassed it using the bolt down and to the left of the keeper entrance rap, but you can get out of it using pack-toss (what we did) or shoulder stand (probably).

As Johnny says, maybe things could change due to the storm tomorrow. Keep an eye on it.
    czm likes this.
  16. vanizzle17

vanizzle17

Hey, I'm in town. I have a crew that wants to do Neon Sunday.... but they really want it to be dry-ish. Not that we can really predict that, and it's been raining.... but if you hear anything let me know. Im free tomorrow and saturday if you are, to do a canyon!
  17. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Neon is way more fun when it's full of water
  18. 2065toyota

2065toyota

19. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Maybe to a point, but I've done it twice, first time it was so full that I swam 80% of the canyon and it was rather boring, second time was last week and it was waist deep at the deepest and it was more fun, way more involved. It was also a month and a half later in the year, the lighting was really bad the first time so it wasn't very pretty either.
    wisconnyjohnny and 2065toyota like this.
  20. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

It rained more than I thought it would, or maybe, the forecast I trusted. Everything should be in mud fun cold mode.! Avoidable?