Send us a suggestion!

Epic Hawaii exploration awaits...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Mike

Mike epic blarneys

Just got back from the Big Island. We hauled our canyon gear out there but decided hiking, snorkeling, and relaxing were better pursuits for the trip.

On a dayhike to Waimanu Valley, a triple tiered waterfall sent my head spinning. Above the final drops was a deep basalt slot containing...who knows what. What we could see were three final drops of 300-400 feet each. Unlike some of the very large waterfalls on the island, this one had a very worthy looking canyon attached to it.

A view of the canyon from a distance:
    [​IMG]

Heather stands below the final drop getting blasted by the wind from the water's force:
    [​IMG]
    Bill and Dan Ransom like this.
  2. Bill

Bill ...

so cool
  3. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

definitely a helicopter approach...
  4. Paul Stevens

Paul Stevens

Nice shots! I'm curious how you accessed Waimanu. The trail from Waipio is something like 9 miles each way isn't it? Is there another way to access it? I'm also curious about exploring the rim of Waipio. We'll be going to that area for a day but I'll only have maybe half a day for hiking. We've spent a day poking around the Waipio valley before and went up the switchbacks towards Waimanu so I'm thinking of something different that would fit in a half day.
  5. Mike

Mike epic blarneys

We just hiked the trail you guys went up, it was a long day, and with going to the base of the falls around 21 miles total. I'm jealous man, I'd love to be there right now.
  6. Paul Stevens

Paul Stevens

That's pretty badass! Probably can't fit that in, but I'll post something if we see find cool spots poking around the rim. I just love the views overlooking Waipio something very powerful about that spot...
    Mike likes this.