Send us a suggestion!

Englestead June 2015

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Cameron, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Cameron

Cameron The canyons are my playground

"Are you going to pick that up?" I screamed at the touroid that dropped his cigarette butt down in the sand by the Virgin River.

He turns around in his ridiculous outfit dumbfounded....again I say "Are you going to pick that up?"

Again, he is dumbfounded that a lady is talking with him that way. Clearly, I thought he must not speak English and doesn't understand me...I pick up the butt walk right up to his face and slowly and in a very pronounced Texas twang" ARE YOU GOING TO PICK THIS UP"....still blank look....."TRASH, THIS IS TRASH"

Nothing........until he asks "do you even work here"......just as I was about to go Ninja Warrior on him (seriously at this point I have my jugular vein pumping out of my neck...I could feel it)....my buddy that was with me on the trip walked up and said I DO.......(he is a member of SAR).....and then the touroid says well then I respect YOU....pointing to my buddy.

I just had to walk away. But thank you touroid for giving me enough anger to power walk aggressively back past all the touroids on the mile paved sidewalk from the Virgin River to the shuttle.....I walked so fast I surely burned half a pizza from Pizza Noodle and an extra beer for me!

Englestead was a great day. We started early. All arriving at the gash in the earth that is Englestead. I was mesmerized and in love. The beauty of the deep solitude overcame me....walking in the woods down to the rocky wash and suddenly coming up the gash that is the mouth of Englestead. Stunning and humbling.

We had fun selecting the tree and looking around. The watercourse had a big pool at the bottom so we opted for the tree that seems many people rappel off of. Thinking it was a "good option" but liking the big a@@ tree behind we opted to set up a redirect with that tree thru the tree that many people will rappel off of. Still a great clean pull that won't leave grooves.

After setting up the anchors, checking it...all doing harness buddy checks...off we go. Everyone had a sling twisted as a chest harness to help keep upright. Nobody opted to hang their pack. I was last....I got down about 100 feet and couldn't take it anymore.....backpack was too much. I locked off and dropped my pack and WOW....makes all the world of difference. I danced down the rest of the wall, enjoying the beauty.

The SQWIRL is OMG to die for......lets go a little quicker bam make the adjustment you know what...I want to go slow and smooth bam...make that adjustment. I had to resist the temptation of locking off and taking a selfie.....but I am trying to avoid that habit.

We all made it down and it was wonderful, fully respecting the walls above. There were pools in Englestead that we all practiced stemming until we couldn't stem anymore, getting our feet wet.

Small awkward rappels, fun down climbs, logs to walk over, stemming....it was an adult jungle gem. We were all laughing and smiling and enjoying the day. The walls of Englestead......are truly amazing.

We made it to the Junction of Orderville and had the permits to finish out Orderville into the Narrows. Hiking in full sun....hurrying as we knew later afternoon showers could be predicted.

Finally making it to to the water part of Orderville...two gentlemen smoking right in the middle of the canyon...smoke smells behind us and in front of us a way. OHHH the fresh air. Anyway.....to each his own right....as long as you pick up your MESS. I may or may not have been dramatically coughing as I walk past them...hint hint!

The water of Orderville wasn't as spectacular as the last. More murky...the pools of blue were brownish. I don't know if it was recent rain or just so many people stirring it up on a Sunday.

The solitude we had for the day quickly ended in the Orderville Water Park....a group we ran into mesmerized with confusion of why we were wearing what we were....asked if they could jump into the water from the boulder. Having a SAR guy with us...and me being a WFR.....hell no came to our responses. We both looked at each other and said lets GTFO so we don't have to see this mess.....

The Narrows full of people....two SAR groups being deployed gave me very much respect for them. Each member having huge backpacks...trying to get to injured parties ASAP...hiking very fast....one with a litter on the back....and just realized MAN they have to carry these people out. RESPECT SAR RESPECT!

and that brings me to my little touroid cigarette butt litter friend.....he will not ruin my day. I am walking now as fast as I can to get on the Zion shuttle that will bring me to the city shuttle that will bring me to my car (where dry clothes are waiting ) and finally my car will bring me to Pizza Noodle to split pizzas and cheers beer for another beautiful day in Zion.

My car brings me home where I have a glorious night sleep and my heart awakes a little more full from a day of adventure with friends.

Pics to come!
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    Dave Melton, Rapterman, Jenny and 2 others like this.
  2. Cameron

3. Cameron

oh and watch for those rattlesnakes out on the approach road.....and I just wore a Sharkskin long sleeve pull over and 3mm neo and it was overkill for Orderville!

I am also sad to report Orderville was just looking used and abused. People are camping overnight near the water section and building a fire. Saw it in two spots. @$#$%#$#!
  4. hiac

hiac

after i view your photo, I work hard on plank