Send us a suggestion!

Englestead Hollow 09-04-17

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by deathtointernet, Sep 6, 2017.

1. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

It's been a few years since I last found myself in Englestead Hollow, but my friend Tad had a permit for the canyon on Labor Day, plus the extra permit (thank you Park Service, grr) for the exit down Orderville, and asked me to join his group for his first time through the canyon. Since he agreed to carry my 300 foot rope, I was totally in. Three of our group of five would be doing the canyon for the first time. The news of the previous day's tragedy had not yet broken by the time we started the canyon, and it was probably better that our folks doing the big rappel for the first time didn't know.

P1600230.JPG

First rappel went quite well. The entire team was outfitted with variable friction devices (4 CRITRs and 1 ATS), which made controlling the rappel simple, even though two of our group had never done a rappel over 170 feet before.

P1600266.JPG

The rest of the upper slot went quick and smooth.

P1600301.JPG

In the lower slot we were excited to discover that there was indeed a semi-keeper pothole that had developed... I certainly don't remember anything like this from the last time I had been through! A partner assist easily boosts out of it. I'm 6'3" and could just barely grab the first stable rock as a handhold, though getting up from there was another story. Tad has a couple of inches on me and could get out unassisted. Not sure why someone would be soloing Englestead, but if so they should be prepared to toss a pack or lasso a rock to get out. That said,the floor of the pothole was mud and loose rocks, so I can't say how much deeper it could potentially get. (Oh and sorry about the picture with no helmet... she was wearing one the entire time, just happened to take it off to readjust it after being boosted out of the pothole)

P1600305.JPG

P1600336.JPG

Orderville was nice... I had last been there on the 4th of July and the pools were all shallow, but everything was much deeper now and more fun. We had thunder above us at the end of Englestead, which was a bit worrisome, but thankfully it passed quickly and had no effects. Did have one strange encounter about fifteen minutes below Englestead. We met a solo hiker going *up* Orderville, definitely a foreigner, equipped as a hiker. When I asked him where we was going, he simply said he was "going up the canyon." Concerned he was a very lost Narrows hiker, I told him he would be at the North Fork Road in 3 or 4 hours. He said "Okay." I asked him if that was where we wanted to go, and if had a ride waiting for him there, he just said "Yes." Trying one last time, I informed him that he wasn't too far from the last technical obstacle he'd have to climb, and he just said "Okay" one more time and hurried off. Still not 100% sure he understood much of what I was saying. Soo... really hoping he isn't still wandering around the North Fork Road right now! But otherwise it was great day of adventure!
    qcard, hlscowboy, Rapterman and 7 others like this.
  2. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

Love it! Nice job. I don't remember the semi keeper either. I need to get back there, maybe October!
  3. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

Nice write up. You don't look like you are in a wet suit. Did you encounter any swims?
  4. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

No swims in Englestead. In fact the water in the keeper, about thigh deep, was all there was in the canyon. Orderville had a couple of swims near the end but temps were warm and everyone was comfortable without any suits.
    ratagonia likes this.
  5. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

Keeper-novel. Plan to be in there on Sept 22 (yes, I still have room on my permit). The joy of not carrying the 5 mm wetsuit will be offset by the heavy heart and the 300 foot rope. Thanks, Ken