Send us a suggestion!

Englestead Canyon

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by jef levin, Mar 3, 2008.

1. jef levin

jef levin Guest

Does anyone know if there is any reasonable way to do Englestead Canyon with only one vehicle? I had thought of hiring a shuttle, but I believe none of the shuttle companies go to that area? No taxis in the area either? Nearest place we can rent another car just for one day? - Jef

__________________________________ Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping
  2. John Styrnol

John Styrnol Guest

Reasonable no. That is one long long day. Getting to The Top of Englestead from hiking the east rim trail from observation point would be brutal/long. If you are an exceptional very very strong hiker it could be done I guess. Still the canyon itself and down orderville/narrows is a long day. Start around 3-4am you should probably be at Englestead around 7-9am at Englestead proper, the rest is a piece of cake, lol Good Luck I would like to know if you do this.

John

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, jef levin <jeflevin@...> wrote:
    Does anyone know if there is any reasonable way to do > Englestead Canyon with only one vehicle? I had thought > of hiring a shuttle, but I believe none of the shuttle > companies go to that area? No taxis in the area > either? Nearest place we can rent another car just for > one day? > - Jef
    > ______________________ ____________ > Looking for last minute shopping deals? > Find them fast with Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping
  3. actually the shuttles go right past the road into Engelstead on their way to the North Fork drop-off for the narrows start.

bruce from bryce

To: canyons@yahoogroups.comFrom: jeflevin@yahoo.comDate: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 17:35:54 -0800Subject: [from Canyons Group] Englestead Canyon

Does anyone know if there is any reasonable way to doEnglestead Canyon with only one vehicle? I had thoughtof hiring a shuttle, but I believe none of the shuttlecompanies go to that area? No taxis in the areaeither? Nearest place we can rent another car just forone day?- Jef________Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

_______________ Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we give. http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Home/?source=text_hotmail_join
  4. nat_smale

nat_smale Guest

I think that it is entirely reasonable to do Englestead with just one car. I've done it this way, in about 9-10 hours, and we were't in a big rush. That is, take the shuttle to Weeping Rock, hike up the East Rim trail, find the head of Englestead and drop in. It's kind of nice this way without the car shuttle, plus you get a bit of an aerobic workout.

Nat

Does anyone know if there is any reasonable way to do > Englestead Canyon with only one vehicle? I had thought > of hiring a shuttle, but I believe none of the shuttle > companies go to that area? No taxis in the area > either? Nearest place we can rent another car just for > one day? > - Jef
    > __________________________________ > Looking for last minute shopping deals? > Find them fast with Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/ category.php?category=shopping >
  5. Shawn R

Shawn R Guest

The climbing gear store linked to the bike shop runs shuttles to the top of Mystery. It is right past the Bit and Spur. Ask them to take you to Mystery or the east Mesa Trail head sometimes the people at the counter are not very knowledgeable. It is just a few hundred yards to where you would start Englestead. I don't know if they run shuttles all year but they do in the spring, summer, and fall. They might not go all the way back in the winter but I am sure they would take you within a mile or 2 of the starting point. Navigation in winter might be challenging if there is still snow. I have done the hike up observation point to do mystery solo with 400ft of rope and that was a hard day for me. Going an extra couple miles doing a longer canyon with more rope would not have been fun. But, with some people to share the rope weight might be done. Daylight would be a real concern. Be sure you start before sunrise. Better to be walking a trail by headlamp in the early morning than the narrows exit out at night. Shawn

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

6. Shawn R

Shawn R Guest

PS. I would advise against renting a car Englestead. Branches often overhang the road and can lead to numerous scratches. Also there are some rough patches on the road which require a higher clearance vehicle. This could lead to huge damage payments for a rental. I would not recommend trying to drive back in until the snow is gone.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

7. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Shawn R <flagstaffclimber@...> wrote:
    The climbing gear store linked to the bike shop runs shuttles to the top of Mystery. It is right past the Bit and Spur. Ask them to take you to Mystery or the east Mesa Trail head sometimes the people at the counter are not very knowledgeable. It is just a few hundred yards to where you would start Englestead.

Zion Rock and Ice? I think Zion Adventure does the shuttle too. 435-772-0990

I don't know if they run shuttles all year but they do in the spring, summer, and fall. They might not go all the way back in the winter but I am sure they would take you within a mile or 2 of the starting point. Navigation in winter might be challenging if there is still snow.

When the request for info on this came, I assumed it was for a late spring or summer timing. If it was more directed to the present or next month plus, several concerns come to mind....There is a lot of snow up there. Even when the snow melts, there will be a lot of mud up there....And this just addresses the access issue. The real big concern is that Englestead has many seeps at the top that turn to icefalls in the winter. These often can be biblical. This year? Ummm. Wanna make bets? Throw in the wet, muddy or snowy rims, over big drops, with the ice along side your big raps.....when will it decide to yield to gravity? Objective dangers just SCREAMING!! Not saying it won't be real special, but.....I wouldn't go without a solid alpine mixed conditions background for evaluation of risks. Throw in the ice ax and crampons too. How deep would the snow be in the canyon? Sloughing off those big walls? Might rue not having snowshoes. And how about a shovel to dig out anchors at the subsequent drops? ;-)Might not be that bad, but you never know. A cold morning makes the ice situation somewhat safer. R
  8. Matt Smith

Matt Smith Guest

Not any longer than Heaps in a day from the Grotto. 4 a.m. starts are the best. Nothing like watching the sun rise from high atop the east or west rim.

There are also up-canyon alternatives.

9. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

Does anyone know if there is any reasonable way to do > Englestead Canyon with only one vehicle? I had thought > of hiring a shuttle, but I believe none of the shuttle > companies go to that area? No taxis in the area > either? Nearest place we can rent another car just for > one day? > - Jef > Zion Adventure Company runs shuttles up to Chamberlain Ranch on the North Fork Road, and people can be dropped off at the East Mesa trailhead (Mystery), at the EZ Acres stop (Engelstead or Birch) or at Orderville trailhead. 435-772-0990

In my book, I delineate a "new" approach to Engelstead that leaves off the North Fork road (easier to get to, easier to describe).

Tom
  10. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

Currently, and into the spring, shuttles on the North Fork road might be hard to get while A. the road is impassable (which I THINK is where we are now, though I have not been up there recently); or B before the Narrows opens for the summer season. We are expecting the Narrows to be closed (for the spring flood) for 3-4 weeks this year, perhaps the entire month of April. Without hikers booking shuttles to Chamberlain's Ranch, running a personal shuttle to EZ Acres road may require a minimum fee (two people, I think).

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Tom Jones" <ratagonia@...> wrote:
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, jef levin <jeflevin@> wrote:

Does anyone know if there is any reasonable way to do
    Englestead Canyon with only one vehicle? I had thought
    of hiring a shuttle, but I believe none of the shuttle
    companies go to that area? No taxis in the area
    either? Nearest place we can rent another car just for
    one day?
    - Jef
    > Zion Adventure Company runs shuttles up to Chamberlain Ranch on the > North Fork Road, and people can be dropped off at the East Mesa > trailhead (Mystery), at the EZ Acres stop (Engelstead or Birch) or at > Orderville trailhead. 435-772-0990
    In my book, I delineate a "new" approach to Engelstead that leaves off > the North Fork road (easier to get to, easier to describe).
    Tom >
  11. beadysee

beadysee Guest

> --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, jef levin <jeflevin@> wrote:
    Does anyone know if there is any reasonable way to do
    Englestead Canyon with only one vehicle? I had thought
    of hiring a shuttle, but I believe none of the shuttle
    companies go to that area? No taxis in the area
    either? Nearest place we can rent another car just for
    one day?

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "nat_smale" <nat_smale@...> wrote: > I think that it is entirely reasonable to do Englestead with just one car. I've done it this > way, in about 9-10 hours, and we were't in a big rush. That is, take the shuttle to Weeping > Rock, hike up the East Rim trail, find the head of Englestead and drop in. It's kind of nice > this way without the car shuttle, plus you get a bit of an aerobic workout. > Nat

Adds a couple hours to your day is all. Easy hiking trails.

Not sure I'd do Englestead in March, though. Peeked in on 3/20/04 and too much snow and ice hanging around.

http://www.mtncommunity.org/dc/dcboard.php? az=show_mesg&forum=104&topic_id=149&mesg_id=149&listing_type=search

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC
  12. jef levin

jef levin Guest

Thanks to all for the helpful responses regarding Englestead...I should have clarified that this trip will not be until late May. I don't think I'd want to do it in winter, although I'm sure the ice must be beautiful. ;) - Jef

When the request for info on this came, I assumed it was for a late spring or summer timing. If it was more directed to the present or next month plus, several concerns come to mind....

__________________________________ Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping
  13. skifast2112

skifast2112 Guest

Has anyone been down Englestead this year? Is there still any snow in the Canyon? And since the Virgin looks to be closed till July, is it possible to upclimb that rock in the watercourse and hike up Orderville with any significant water in the canyon?
  14. RAM

RAM Guest

Desert Nomad Bill recently provided some pictures from the rim. I was stunned by what I saw. It looked like the snow was so high as to spill out over the top of the inner gorge. How high? It would be speculation, but it looked to be higher than 50 feet? Also reported at that time is that the roar of the water was so loud as to make communication difficult at the rim, 300 feet above (Is that right Bill?). That a white water torrent was flowing under the snow. WOW! DOUBLE WOW!

Engelstead has some history of melting out in a fashion that is very canyoneering friendly compared with such places as Kolob and Echo. That appears not to be the case this year and by a long shot. Oh how I would love to see these dynamics from a safe position. Bill and others are Festing out Boulder way. I hope when they get back in a day or so they can correct any error on my part and add more information. Ram

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "skifast2112" <skifast2112@...> wrote:
    Has anyone been down Englestead this year? Is there still any snow in the Canyon? And since the Virgin looks to be closed till July, is it possible to upclimb that rock in the watercourse and hike up Orderville with any significant water in the canyon? >
  15. Wasatch

Wasatch Guest

We did Englestead last year at about this same time, and there was still abunch of snow in their, but doable. The Narrows were running at 100 cfs as well. With all the snow this year, I'm pretty sure there is still lots and lots of snow in there, but......

John

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "skifast2112" <skifast2112@...> wrote:
    Has anyone been down Englestead this year? Is there still any snow in the Canyon? And since the Virgin looks to be closed till July, is it possible to upclimb that rock in the watercourse and hike up Orderville with any significant water in the canyon? >
  16. RAM

RAM Guest

Bill's pictures from 5 weeks ago or so http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/photos/album/296386978/pic/list Hey Bill, how was the Fest? Ram (who can't sleep)

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    Desert Nomad Bill recently provided some pictures from the rim. I was stunned by what I saw. It looked like the snow was so high as to spill out over the top of the inner gorge. How high? It would be speculation, but it looked to be higher than 50 feet? Also reported at that time is that the roar of the water was so loud as to make communication difficult at the rim, 300 feet above (Is that right Bill?). That a white water torrent was flowing under the snow. WOW! DOUBLE WOW!
    Engelstead has some history of melting out in a fashion that is very canyoneering friendly compared with such places as Kolob and Echo. That appears not to be the case this year and by a long shot. Oh how I would love to see these dynamics from a safe position. Bill and others are Festing out Boulder way. I hope when they get back in a day or so they can correct any error on my part and add more information. > Ram
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "skifast2112" <skifast2112@> wrote:

Has anyone been down Englestead this year? Is there still any snow in the Canyon? And since the Virgin looks to be closed till July, is it possible to upclimb that rock in the watercourse and hike up Orderville with any significant water in the canyon?
    >
  17. Bill

Bill Guest

Hey Ram. Fest was great as usual. We weren't able to spend as much time as expected due to work obligations (feels strange to say that.)

Tim went to the head of Englestead a few days ago and there are STILL dual waterfalls at the top. I am planning on a trip to rap it and jug back this or next week. I'll let you know what I find.

B

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    Bill's pictures from 5 weeks ago or so > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/photos/album/296386978/pic/list
    Hey Bill, how was the Fest? > Ram (who can't sleep)
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:

Engelstead has some history of melting out in a fashion that is very canyoneering friendly compared with such places as Kolob and Echo. That appears not to be the case this year and by a long shot. Oh how I would love to see these dynamics from a safe position. Bill and others are Festing out Boulder way. I hope when they get back in a day or so they can correct any error on my part and add more information.
    Ram

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "skifast2112" <skifast2112@> wrote: