Send us a suggestion!

UT: Zion Edit: 2017/06/26 Zion Subway (see later posts)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by DtEW, Jun 15, 2017.

1. DtEW

DtEW

Hi everybody. First post in this forum for a lapsed-but-returning canyoneer.

We're heading out there (Left fork, top-down thru, classic drop-in) on the last weekend of June, and even though this is roughly the same time-of-year every time we've done this in the past... I'm not sure if this exceptional winter in the West has been transformative. Well, I'm sure it was early season... but cusp of summer?

Does anybody think we might need more than just Class B skills and neoprene socks?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Welcome back!

The Subway has returned to normal summer conditions.

The last rappel has changed in the last few years. It is now a vertical rappel on the right side. Rather difficult to handline, if that is your normal mode of sliding down a rope in the Subway.

Tom
    LonePeak and DtEW like this.
  3. Muad'Dib

Muad'Dib

I too am doing Subway in a couple weeks. Any advice on the shuttle? Just pay the $30 to have ZAC shuttle me (I would drop off the rest of my party earlier) or is there a good chance (i.e., very high probability) of hitchhiking a ride up to the Wildcat trailhead? Last time I did the canyon I hitchhiked easily. . . but I was much better looking back then. :)
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

The blessed one should not have a problem hitching a ride, Sandworms or no Sandworms.

:moses:

Never had a problem hitching. And I am not much to look at.

T
  5. Muad'Dib

Muad'Dib

Hitchhiking it is, then! I'm sure I'll only need one thumper.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. . .
  6. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

Was there last weekend, Subway has no flow, couple of swims in the Triple Pools and after the Bowling Ball. Water is warm, wetsuits are entirely optional. A fair degree of new logjams and debris, one new downclimb of little note thanks to a logjam (if you didn't know what it was like beforehand, you wouldn't pay it much mind), deep quicksand on the upstream side though :) Keyhole Falls has a decent sized log wedged in it. Like Tom says, you do have to rappel at the end though. If currently warming trends continue, I expect it to be approximately 130 degrees by the end of June, and possibly on fire. Have a good time!

That said, if anyone is thinking of adding Das Boot, that water is cold. Quite, quite cold :)
    Rapterman and DtEW like this.
  7. DtEW

DtEW

So that would be why people kept rapping into my shot of October 2015 (bottom-up-yoyo). I was wondering why all the people seemed to be off-route.

[​IMG]
  8. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Do you mean Full Left? If so, heed @deathtointernet 's advice of:

As when we did FLF 3 weeks ago, Das Boot was in fine form at 44 degrees. A 2.5mm should be fine if you keep moving; regardless of thickness a wetsuit is needed.

PS: That inverted picture op is in the first 10-15min from where the slot starts at the Seeps.
  9. DtEW

DtEW

So on 2017/06/26, we did the Subway (first time in 7 years for me, first time for the 3 others in my group) via the regular route.

In short, it was a blast. Two ~20-30ft raps (we didn't go down the "rabbit hole") and four-or-so swims (the last time thru for me it was only one swim). No swimming disconnects (dunno if there is ever in the Subway; current water levels was a revelation to my past experience). I think one would-be rap got turned into a downclimb by virtue of a logjam. We got on just fine with only neoprene socks.

We made it a point to grab some sandwiches from the Springdale Subway sandwich shop the-day-before so we could have them... in the Subway. We're so clever. Nobody could have thought of this. ;)

We ran into a few groups (being-passed/passing-them/touch-and-go) on the way down, and most oddly we passed a boy scout troop that was going to be our right-next-door campsite mate in the Narrows the very next day.

A member of my group wasn't paying enough attention in the Subway section and stepped into a submerged pothole to both twist his ankle and bang his knee. As alarming as this was at the outset, it fortunately turned out to be surmountable. There also happened to be a doctor right there (who came from the bottom-up) who did a quick inspection to determine that there was no serious damage.

My group made some amateur GoPro videos that I can't post yet (due to post count), and hopefully I'll have some dSLR photos processed soon.

Aside for photographers: the doctor that inspected my party-member's leg was there with his girlfriend, who was there with her 5DSR + Zeiss 85mm(?) ZE + 3-series Gitzo w/Arca-Swiss Monoball. And I thought *I* was lugging a serious setup, heh.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Kuenn, hank moon and ratagonia like this.
  10. Muad'Dib

Muad'Dib

I was there on Wed and that would-be rap is Keyhole falls. You can just walk down the log jam now (a hand line is nice to have).

Also, to follow up on my hitchhiking question above: I got a ride with the first people with a car: two twenty-something girls. Maybe I am still as good looking as I used to be.
    Kuenn and DtEW like this.
  11. DtEW

DtEW

Being my 6th post (this one)... let's see if I can post a photo:

[​IMG]A Stick In The Mud by DtEW, on Flickr

(Edit: Success!)
    Tom Collins and ratagonia like this.