Send us a suggestion!

Tech Tip: Question Edge Protection for a Moving Rope

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by wsbpress, Nov 16, 2015.

1. wsbpress

wsbpress

Is there a current best practice for protecting the rope/rock during a moving rope maneuver (e.g. raising/lowering)?

I've seen commercial products offered to accomplish this. The SMC Flex "ice cube tray" looks pretty good. There is a product from a company called DEUS that has a teflon coated canvas: http://shop.deusrescue.com/Shop-Products/Accessories/DEUS-Edge-Pro-Deluxe-Edge-Protector.html. The good ol' garden hose seems to be a favorite of many.

If you've got a good field expedient solution would you please share? It seems like something could be done with the metal hardware already carried by the canyoneer. I love solutions using multi-use items.

"The more you know the less you need". -Yvon Chouinard
    Kuenn likes this.
  2. Sonny Lawrence

Sonny Lawrence

I use my pack or rope bag at the edge. Tether it. Otherwise, slip the rope continuously while the person rappels. I have a couple different rope condoms. I rarely use them now days. The problem is that most people are challenged to get below the condom and reposition it. For SAR, we use the ice cube trays. They are great. I used one last year in the big drop for Insomnia. However our plan was to lower Ram rather than just a rappel. He foiled the plan by rapping with a Micro-Rack instead. So the ice cube tray was not needed.
    Kuenn, ratagonia and John Styrnol like this.
  3. Kuenn

Kuenn

I like Sonny's answer. When needed, I find that rope pads offer as much mental satisfaction as they do physical protection.
  4. wsbpress

wsbpress

So here's a scenario:

You are at the anchor while one of your companions is on rappel. For some reason, mid-rappel, there is a need to convert from rap to lower.

At this spot the sandstone is really soft and you know the lower is going to leave a nasty groove. Your group didn't bring any purpose-built edge protection.

Let's also say that the individual on-rope is not in any immediate peril or distress... so you've got a few minutes to spare.

What would you do?

(Can you still use packs and rope bags during a lower? Is the textile to textile contact a concern?)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  5. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Yes, if you can work it under the rope. That's the hard part. You may have to anchor in, walk to the edge, clip a biner to the rap rope and do a squat to get the rope off the edge so you can get something under it. Not always easy or practical. Do the best you can with what you've got.

No, rope on pack contact is certainly less concerning than rope on rock. You may wear a good hole in a pack but the rope moves and will be practically unaffected.
  6. SARguru

SARguru

Here is a lightweight alternative to edge pad/roller. There is a video of drop test of the rope (6mm technora/ nylon) over metal and rock edge and the difference padding can make.

http://ctoms.ca/Mission-Essential-Equipment/Soft-Goods/edgepro.html

CTOMS is 5 mins away from me, i can get more pics if anyone desires, on my list of "tools" to get.

Nic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. SARguru

SARguru

The edgepro is for CTOMS TRACE system, US Air Force Pararescue are now using this kit amongst others, the Quickie ascenders and descender are designed by Kirk Mauthner formerly of Rigging for Rescue same guy who created the 540 belay, MPD and other rescue devices. I have seen pictures of the system being used for a Kooteney highline system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Kuenn

Kuenn

Very interesting. Looks beefy but light...kinda pricey though.

An inexpensive option for rope pads is discarded fire hose. Durable, waterproof coated on one side, can easily be split to make a pad w/grommets. Add some velcro/sewing makes for a nifty rope wrap. Long/short - 25' of hose would last a lifetime.
    hank moon likes this.
  9. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

The latest and greatest from Insomnia last month- an old car mat. PA080556.JPG
    hank moon and Bootboy like this.
  10. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

I just made a butt protector out of this material (superfabric). They shipped me a sample for free that was just large enough to make one. I will be testing it shortly. If it shreds to pieces, I am out nothing so figured it was worth a shot. If it can be used as edge pro I would think it should be fine for my butt.
    SARguru, hank moon and wsbpress like this.
  11. wsbpress

wsbpress

I've been thinking about sewing a strip of this stuff on one side of one of my rope bags as a test. Did you have any issues sewing this material?
    Mountaineer likes this.
  12. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

I back stitched it by hand for testing and glued the flaps down. It seems durable and is a little hard to pierce with a needle but doable. I never looked to see what the price was per sheet (I went with SuperFabric® - 700820-620 which seems to be most durable by #s)

Once I test it I will have a friend stitch it with an industrial machine and glue the seams. I want to make sure it was adjust right before I have him sew it a bunch of times.
    wsbpress likes this.
  13. wsbpress

wsbpress

I've got some SuperFabric® samples being shipped to me today. I'll test it out and post the results when I get a chance.

I was curious to know what kind of material the SMC Flex edge protector was. I found a closeup photo which revealed the resin identification number as 2, which is HDPE. Then I had an idea: most PEX is made from HDPE that has been cross-linked... so PEX tubing may be a good low friction edge protector.
  14. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

Please keep us updated on your butt pro - esp. durability. Any breathability?
  15. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

Taking it out tomorrow and canyon will have a little water so. It is very light, thin material so I am not sure it will be as durable as they claim.