Send us a suggestion!

News East Zion Visitor Center (proposed)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ratagonia, May 15, 2019.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/a...2UqgeYH0ZuDwVc8EK2MdsKiWUHcCJh4s#.XNwpuFJKiUl

Teaser:
    ST. GEORGE — Zion National Park, as part of a public-private partnership, has announced plans to build a visitor contact station on the east side of the park as part of a new gateway community known as the “Applecross Station Visitor Center.”

The station is being built as a collaborative effort between Zion National Park, Kane County, the Zion Forever Project, the Bureau of Land Management and the Zion Mountain Ranch landowners. It will be located just outside of the park boundaries and will include a visitor center, shuttle hub, private businesses and a new trail network.

Project leaders anticipate this new visitor hub will benefit the visitor experience, boost Kane County’s economy and reduce overcrowding in the park.

Each year, over 1 million of Zion’s visitors enter through the east entrance of the park, where the only point of contact is the entrance fee station where rangers often have little time to share information and answer questions.

Trail-Picture.
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
  2. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I am very skeptical that the new visitor center will reduce over crowding in the park. It might temporarily reduce crowding inside the main visitor center, but that's it. Most people using the East Entrance are still going to end up in Zion Canyon.
    YoungBuck and Kuenn like this.
  3. Jman

Jman

This would be located at the junction of north fork road (turn off for Zion Ponderosa, The Narrows, Mystery Canyon, Englestead, Birch Hollow) and highway 9.

The pictures of the proposal are good. I like em personally.

And I support the new “trails networks” (25 miles worth m) as it gives tourists another option for hiking and biking (!).

And all of it sounds good from the proposal: more exhibits, backcountry permits (!!), a small theater, food, and bathrooms (!).

The one part I am not too excited about, but I’m hoping it won’t be too excessive is the “shopping, tour guides, gear outfitters, and culinary experiences”. I like the charm of Springdale and I hope if it does explode in the growth that they follow the same lead. No chain restaurants, no billboards, and no HUGE advertising signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

I take the "further development" as aspirational, but I think we can assume the ambitious Buffalo Ranch is providing the land with the aspiration that it will bring more business there.

I think the Park should be investing in additional hiking "facilities", to give visitors more places to go, more things to do, in the CORE of the park - and by the core, I mean adjacent to the roads. This I think it a positive step forward, a good start. I have hiked around some of those places, and it is worthy of building trails to access the dirt roads up there for hikers.

I also think running an East Side shuttle would be a good thing. Trying to manage a park with 5 million visitors using infrastructure that was full with 2 million is never going to work; but expanding the infrastructure is slow, expensive and difficult for a bureaucracy like the NPS.

Tom
    Kuenn likes this.
  5. Sandstone Addiction

Sandstone Addiction Headed South

I like the idea of the visitor center, but is there a story behind the name "Applecross Station"? Is that the best they could come up with?