Send us a suggestion!

East Bluejohn Canyon Sept 21, 2017

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Derrick Snider, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Derrick Snider

Derrick Snider Avid Landscape Photo Ninja

I did a solo run through East Bluejohn last Thursday (21st 2017), and it was awesome.. The deepest water encountered was close to neck deep (I am 6'1"). I had the canyon entirely to myself until about 3pm..

I did the first rappel (that many people bypass to the right) and snapped some great photos of the huge log leaning up in the dryfall, and recommend others do the same... Most route descriptions I read recommend "skipping the first rap and avoid squeezing up near the top," however, I didn't find the squeezing up top to be much worse than down around mid-canyon, and doing the first rap using a natural anchor up top was fun... The descriptions I used all said the second rap is bolted, which is still true, and a knotted, webbing hand-line now hangs from the bolt down into the pothole below, but it also has a fairly new looking rap ring on the wall as well (same hanger).. I used the hand line which seemed fine until the last few feet which have been hanging in the water. For obvious reasons, that webbing feels a little "stretchy" and maybe a little sketchy..

No major rockfalls or blockages besides a couple of logs that you must duck under while wading in knee to thigh high water. I ran into some people during late afternoon who said that the middle fork of Bluejohn has had a large rockfall pile up that is causing "larger than usual pools of water" in that fork of Bluejohn.

I camped at the "Motel 6" and did some night photog there. Also had the Motel 6 to myself the night before.. I had beautiful clear blue skies the entire time out there and my trip could not have been much better...

The slog out of the desert was fairly heinous, as it was somewhat hot that day. Luckily, I was able to grab a ride from the canyoneers I ran into at the end of the day, which saved me several miles of road slogging after the desert death march out lol.

In hindsight, it may have not been the best canyon for a noob to do alone, but I had a blast and had good beta, Gaia gps worked really well for that canyon also.. THANK YOU to Circle Of Friends/Climb Utah for the KMZ files etc! :)

Attached Files:

• IMG_1422.JPG
      Filename:
      IMG_1422.JPG
      File size:
      149.4 KB
      Views:
    • IMG_1421.JPG
      Filename:
      IMG_1421.JPG
      File size:
      313.2 KB
      Views:
    • IMG_1420.JPG
      Filename:
      IMG_1420.JPG
      File size:
      167.7 KB
      Views:
    • IMG_1416.JPG
      File size:
      4.4 MB
      Views:
    • IMG_1413.JPG
      Filename:
      IMG_1413.JPG
      File size:
      178 KB
      Views:
    • IMG_1397.JPG
      Filename:
      IMG_1397.JPG
      File size:
      183.4 KB
      Views:
    • IMG_1393.JPG
      Filename:
      IMG_1393.JPG
      File size:
      112.9 KB
      Views:
    • slide.
      Filename:
      slide.jpg
      File size:
      94.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2017 at 6:32 PM
  2. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

VERY nice photography.
    Kuenn likes this.
  3. Derrick Snider

Hey thanks a lot!
  4. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Ditto that...great shots!
    Derrick Snider likes this.
  5. Derrick Snider

Thanks again!

Hoping to get more posted before I head back to ND for work, but right now I'm headed down near Telluride and Ouray to try to snap some fall color images :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

Nice shots.
    Where did you exit? You didn't go up the main fork?
  7. Derrick Snider

The plan was to exit going up the main fork, but I had a lot of issues dealing with my camera gear and the east fork took me FOREVER to finish lol.. I ended up getting out late and was pretty exhausted so I opted for the easier (albeit longer slog) out of the main exit near the west fork...

8. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

I know how that goes, I've hauled more than my share of camera gear though a few canyons.
    What are you hauling and what was the problem?
  9. Amy K

Amy K

We exited out west fork as well when we did east fork bj. I'm doing high spur out there this weekend and I've heard there are some high waters due to recent flash floods. Love your photos though! Excited to take my photo gear through high spur.
  10. Derrick Snider

I brought my large sturdy tripod.. I've hauled it many inconvenient places in the past, but won't be taking it through a canyon again unless I figure out a better way to carry it... my bag wasn't adequate for hauling extra gear (although it has drain holes and I don't care if it gets beat up so I love it for canyons lol).... I didn't even use the tripod and just scraped and dinged the crap out of it for no reason haha.. once I get a few more canyons under my belt maybe I'll have a better way to carry it so I can bring it again, but for now it's staying home.. I shoot a Nikon d810 which isn't exactly small.. but mainly the the tripod that was the issue

11. Derrick Snider

Thanks!

And yea High Spur is high on my SOON list.. would consider this weekend but my fiancé and I have a 3-day canyon course in Moab with Uber adventures this weekend...

12. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

Aw, I rarely take a tripod down canyons these days. Its just too much hassle and weight.

High Spur is absurdly photogenic. Unfortunately, the best section is where the canyon tends to hold the most water.