Send us a suggestion!

Dry Canyons with low flash risk?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrianD, Aug 12, 2014.

1. BrianD

BrianD

Do these exist?
    If so, are there any near Zion and surrounding area that we could do under these current rain conditions?
  2. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Canyons form when water flows. In the desert, this action occurs during relatively infrequent and intense periods of precipitation....
    Deagol and BrianD like this.
  3. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Watching a flash flood from a safe distance is actually quite spectacular. That said, I wouldn't do any technical canyon when flash flood danger is high.
    In Zion you could do something like hike around the Kolob Canyons and watch the waterfalls spill off the canyon walls, but I'd stay out any even moderately narrow canyon or canyon bottom. You could hike any trail that doesn't follow canyon bottoms.

There are areas in the Main Canyon you can see similar things as well. Here is a photo from the climb-utah website showing Refrigerator Canyon.

[​IMG]
    Deagol and BrianD like this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

Love that pic.
  5. BrianD

BrianD

I realized I made an oxymoron like statement soon after posting this. I just want to use my rope and rappel something other than a tree instead of having to ascend it first.
  6. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

Brian, you might consider Water Canyon. It's wet w/high flash risk, but also has many escape possibilities, some of which can be identified on the hike in (especially with good beta). You'd like to have a good 4WD vehicle though, to avoid a long park n' slog. Great place to rap-lap with an easy circuit near the bottom.
    BrianD likes this.
  7. BrianD

BrianD

Thanks Hank,

We had that on our to do list but need to find a partner with a 4wd. We were lucky to get our Ford Fusion to escape the MIA road in the rain the other day.

Anyone interested? I'll carry the rope if someone supplies the truck!
  8. gajslk

gajslk

I'm afraid to recommend anything to anyone who has to ask ... now if you were asking about canyons near Zion having short narrows with exits between, you might have better luck.

Gordon
  9. BrianD

BrianD

Thanks Gordon, I got my fix today but that's what I'll do next time.