Send us a suggestion!

Tech Tip: Question Device type preference for longer free hanging rappels?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Tricam, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Tricam

Tricam

I know that modern figure eight style devices are generally preferred in canyons for their flexibility, but does anyone switch to a tube style device (ex: ATC) or something else specifically for longer free hanging rappels to minimize rotation?

I just watched a video of the final rappel at heaps on a Critr, and although it started nice, I was nearly sick by the end just from watching all of the spinning :)
  2. Kuenn

Kuenn

3. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

I use an ATC (in one of its various forms...Petzl Reverso too) for nearly all dry or non running water canyons. So, all but not class C.

Heaps...two ATCs stacked one above the other. Smooth. No spinning.
    Tricam likes this.
  4. Canyonero

Canyonero

You know, I use a CRITR2 almost exclusively. Most of the time, no significant spins. But I had a 200+ foot free hanging rappel recently that was really bad. I must have done 50+ rotations on the way down. Very unpleasant. But I couldn't figure out for the life of me what was different about that particular rappel.
    Tricam likes this.
  5. Tricam

Tricam

6. Tricam

Tricam

Good to know - I've done a fair bit of rappels that required 2 70m ropes on climbs and spinning has never been an issue, but I wasn't sure if it was the device or two lines that helped out.

What do you do differently in class C? Is it just to avoid losing the device while disconnecting, or are there other reasons?
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  7. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

Kuenn likes this.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

Spinning can be controlled/stopped from below - very useful on the Heaps ultimate rappel. The bottom belayer steps a short distance out of the fall line (where they should be anyway) and provides a small amount of tension on the rope. Voila - spinning stops.

Tom
    Yellow Dart, townsend, Kuenn and 3 others like this.
  9. PutUpYourDux

PutUpYourDux

Two votes for this! Works very well.
    Tricam and ratagonia like this.
  10. Tricam

Tricam

Ah, smart! I'll need to try this sometime soon.
  11. Kuenn

Kuenn

Yet another reason to let your Compadres go first!
    Tricam likes this.