Send us a suggestion!

UT: Zion DED Zion: GPS Waylaid Pts, Bolts Removed

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by ratagonia, Apr 18, 2014.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

“It’s not an adventure until something goes wrong”… Yvon Chouinard

There’s been a lot of chat, of late, about people dropping into the WRONG canyon. This is a story about starting UP the wrong canyon – perhaps a more-forgiving error to make.

Went off to do Dead Eye Dick with Amanda from Zion Adventures on Thursday. Since I had not done the one-car approach, and needed to for the website, WE (as in I) decided to do it that way, by starting down The Narrows, then climbing up a side-canyon to get to the top of the canyon. No problem. Chickens surrounded us where we left Amanda’s car, at the North Fork turn. On the drive in, I handed the map with several waypoints marked to Amanda, and walked her through typing in one of the waypoints into the Etrex… only, the point she entered was not the point I intended… (see where this is going?).

Our start was not early, but not too late. After a grey cold day on Wednesday, Thursday was bluebird beautiful and actually kinda hot. Especially for April. We kept a good pace going down the Narrows, pulling out the GPS every now and then to check progress. Hmmm, a little further than I thought… Eventually we got to the waypoint, and a canyon on the left that was narrow and tall. I had not checked the notes from Kip, but this one looked unlikely as a way up, but we scouted up it a ways and… I helped Amanda up a short drop and she scouted ahead – “ends in a rappel” she said.

The Rest of the Story at Latest Rave

ded01. ded03. ded18.
    Kuenn and 2065toyota like this.
  2. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

3. ratagonia

ratagonia

We left Amanda's car 100 yards up the North Fork Road, near the greenhouse. A flock of chickens came over to investigate US.

True Dat!
  4. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

oh, and thanks Mr. MBC!
  5. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Chickens were still full effect yesterday. Didn't quite understand your alternate route so we used Luke's route so as to avoid the car shuttle. Can you give a little more detail on your 'blue' alternate route or is it me just not understanding it. Thx.

BTW, Mighty Mouse is on the opposite side of the narrows so I hope you weren't traversing MM to get to DED :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

Yes, a dozen people have clarified that MM is on the north side of the Virgin. I was not describing what I think NOW, I was describing what I thought THEN!

You mean, Kip's Route, as shown on Luke's website?

Easiest way to find the shorter route:

Hike to the bottom of Dead Eye Dick. It is a high-walled canyon about 20 feet wide that goes back straight quite a ways. Or use a GPS.

Then back up one canyon on the right. Or go there first via GPS. Or memorize the picture on the Latest Rave.

Ascend the forested somewhat bushy drainage to the base of the upper cliff. Follow deer trails right a long way, then around the corner into Dead Eye Dick. Continue on this ledge a long way until you cross down into the main watercourse at the top of a rappel. There may or may not be a sling around a large tree at the top of the rap. From the tree, head straight up the hillside and wind your way through the cliffband where it is shorter and broken up. Above the cliffband, head straight up the steep hill to the top of the ridge. Follow the ridge up and back along the edge of the canyon 1/4 mile, then traverse down into the canyon above the first rappel, where you can see the bottom of the wash from above.

Tom
  7. 2065toyota

2065toyota

I was just making sure you still didn't think now what you thought then

Yes. Kips route on Luke's site

Yes. I have hiked up that drainage partially before, but didn't think it could be ascended. Makes sense now. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ratagonia likes this.