Send us a suggestion!

Death in Upper Chute

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Stefanos Folias, Oct 10, 2007.

1. ice burrows over on uutah posted the following ...

Death in Upper Chute October 2007

I have a report from SAR that there has been a canyoneering death in Upper Chute. A 60 year old male and his friend, were hiking Baptist draw and Chute. They thought they had gone past the exit point, when in fact they had not. Both men started to climb up a crack in the canyon wall to get out. Almost at the top one man fell and landed on a shelf about 75 to 100 feet below. The man fell Sunday afternoon (Oct. 8,2007). SAR recover his body Monday.

Local SAR has asked that everyone think about their actions before they act. They even have a name for it. They call it HALT-TAKE-ONE think about what you are about to do.

I do not think this has hit the local news yet, or at least I couldn't find it. But the source is 100%.

2. mike_dallin

mike_dallin Guest

A little more information in the news this morning.

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695217732,00.html

Denver hiker dies after falling 130 feet Published: Oct. 10, 2007 11:57 p.m. MDT

CASTLE DALE — A 60-year-old man died in the San Rafael Swell on Tuesday after falling 130 feet during a hiking trip.

The Denver man was with three other people when he fell, according to Emery County Sheriff Lamar E. Guymon. He first slipped and tumbled 30 feet, then fell again and plummeted to a ledge 100 feet below.

After the fall, one of the other hikers climbed down from the mountain and drove about 15 miles to I-70 seeking help. He contacted a Utah Highway Patrol officer, who then alerted the sheriff's office.

The body was retrieved from the Baptist Draw area and is being autopsied by the state medical examiner.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Stefanos Folias <sf@...> wrote:
    > ice burrows over on uutah posted the following ...
    Death in Upper Chute > October 2007
    I have a report from SAR that there has been a canyoneering death in > Upper Chute. A 60 year old male and his friend, were hiking Baptist > draw and Chute. They thought they had gone past the exit point, when > in fact they had not. Both men started to climb up a crack in the > canyon wall to get out. Almost at the top one man fell and landed on > a shelf about 75 to 100 feet below. The man fell Sunday afternoon > (Oct. 8,2007). SAR recover his body Monday.
    Local SAR has asked that everyone think about their actions before > they act. They even have a name for it. They call it HALT-TAKE-ONE > think about what you are about to do.
    I do not think this has hit the local news yet, or at least I > couldn't find it. But the source is 100%.
    > >
  3. Brando

Brando Guest

Geez.. I am not going to hear the end of it now.. I have a trip planned with 7 of my scouts to do Baptist this month, and I am sure every parent is now going to question going there.

I have a report from SAR that there has been a canyoneering death in > Upper Chute. A 60 year old male and his friend, were hiking Baptist > draw and Chute. They thought they had gone past the exit point, when > in fact they had not. Both men started to climb up a crack in the > canyon wall to get out. Almost at the top one man fell and landed on > a shelf about 75 to 100 feet below. The man fell Sunday afternoon > (Oct. 8,2007). SAR recover his body Monday.
    Local SAR has asked that everyone think about their actions before > they act. They even have a name for it. They call it HALT-TAKE-ONE > think about what you are about to do.
    I do not think this has hit the local news yet, or at least I > couldn't find it. But the source is 100%.
    > >
  4. Coming out of lurkdom to say that I know the man involved. Bart was a great guy and extremely fit and involved in many outdoor sports. He led ski trips for the Colorado Mountain Club, and was probably one of the most energetic skiers I have met of any age. He was 60 and yet he skied harder than most 18 year olds I know. Lifts open to lifts close, no stops for lunch, full speed through the trees & moguls with no stopping until the bottom. I used to say I wanted to be him when I grow up! My husband and I had skied with him on quite a few occasions, and I remember him asking us about canyoneering a while back and saying that it sounded fun when we described some of our trips we'd done. I just heard today that he had died in a "climbing accident", and when I looked up details, I found this article:

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_7148634

I promptly came here to try and find out more. My husband and I did the Baptist/Chute loop several years ago, and I agree that it feels like a loooooong way to the right exit canyon. I remember stopping a few times and getting out the maps, gps, etc, and discussing whether or not we'd passed it! I guess it's yet another reminder that even though the canyons and mountains are beautiful, amazing places, they are also unforgiving.

-Courtney

Local SAR has asked that everyone think about their actions before > they act. They even have a name for it. They call it HALT-TAKE- ONE > think about what you are about to do.
    > >
  5. Unfortunately, I suppose we must expect parents to "react" to things like this but this tragic accident has nothing to do with how safe Babtist/Chute is or canyoneering in general. Don't let it get you down.

Be safe and have fun.

Charly

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Brando" <plaidfro@...> wrote:
    Geez.. I am not going to hear the end of it now.. I have a trip > planned with 7 of my scouts to do Baptist this month, and I am sure > every parent is now going to question going there.
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Stefanos Folias <sf@> wrote:

ice burrows over on uutah posted the following ...

Death in Upper Chute
    October 2007

I have a report from SAR that there has been a canyoneering death > in
    Upper Chute. A 60 year old male and his friend, were hiking > Baptist
    draw and Chute. They thought they had gone past the exit point, > when
    in fact they had not. Both men started to climb up a crack in the
    canyon wall to get out. Almost at the top one man fell and landed > on
    a shelf about 75 to 100 feet below. The man fell Sunday afternoon
    (Oct. 8,2007). SAR recover his body Monday.

Local SAR has asked that everyone think about their actions before
    they act. They even have a name for it. They call it HALT-TAKE- ONE
    think about what you are about to do.

I do not think this has hit the local news yet, or at least I
    couldn't find it. But the source is 100%.

>