Send us a suggestion!

UT: Escalante Death Hollow

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Ram, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Ram

Ram

This from Tim Hoover, who graciously offers a conditions report

Nancy Rhodes and I Just got back from Death Hollow on 6/23. We went down from Hell’s Backbone and climbed out the route Ryan Cornia describes in RoadTripRyan. I’ve never been in there before so I have no reference for the conditions, but this was our experience. The first spring was dry and the puddle at the bottom was really nasty. We pumped from a not too stinky pothole instead. Beyond that, the narrows sections had a fair amount of water in the potholes and required frequent swims. It felt great but when the sun went down and the breeze picked up it got a bit chilly. Farther down, the poison ivy was ferocious. Long stretches of the stuff was head high and overgrowing the trails. We went through some of it but opted to stay in the streambed to avoid it in other places that just didn’t seem worth the shortcut. There was plenty of water when we reached the perennial water section but I have no idea how it compares to usual conditions. Seemed low to me but maybe not. We had absolutely no problem with bugs until we hit the Escalante River, then the deer flies attacked. Not really too bad, but bad enough.
    ratagonia and Dan Ransom like this.
  2. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member