Send us a suggestion!

Dante System Canyon Difficulty

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by qedcook, Apr 12, 2021.

1. qedcook

qedcook

How difficult would you say the Dante System canyons (Inferno, Paradiso) are as compared to Hog 1 or Hog 3 or Alcatraz?

Also, any updates on conditions?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Canyonero

Canyonero

I haven't done Hog 1 or Hog 3 or Alcatraz, but did four of the Dantes last year and don't recall thinking they were particularly challenging. I was with a pretty aggro crew though, so I wouldn't have spent much time thinking about the difficulty.

I don't have any recollection of difficult pothole problems, X or even R stemming, or particularly challenging anchors. Routefinding in and out were the primary challenges I remember having to address. I would expect to do some "standard ghosting" techniques in there though, fiddlesticks, sandtraps, downclimbs and captures, and maybe a water pocket in the thumb.
    qedcook likes this.
  3. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

Inferno is harder than hog 3, with more sustained high-stemming. However if you can handle Hog 3 you wouldn't have a problem in it. Paradiso doesn't really have any high-stemming, but has down-climbs on par with Hog 3, along with two potholes that you will have to escape if you can't stem over. However, stemming over the potholes shouldn't be a problem if you are at least 5 feet tall. Expect the Dante's to be longer and more physical than the hogs, but if you can do Hog 3, then I wouldn't be worried about their difficulty assuming you can handle all the anchor building the Dante's often require.
    qedcook and ratagonia like this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

Except Limbo. Limbo has a GAPER!!!

And it should be noted that "doing Hog 3" means doing it with the only rappel at the end. Some people rap in the middle of Hog 3, thus avoiding the hardest spot in the canyon.

Tom