Send us a suggestion!

Custodianeering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hank moon, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Zach Olson

Zach Olson

Far from canyon country protecting the visitors and resources of Cape Cod Seashore. Tirrus gets to have all the canyon fun this summer...
    ratagonia likes this.
  2. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Out with Cannonball Kel and Coreshot Cal this last Tuesday, they found a shoe.

Can't make this up, was found in... Das Boot.

IMG-20170531-00031.
    Mountaineer, Kevin, Rapterman and 4 others like this.
  3. scottensign

scottensign

I took a group through birch hollow 2 days ago. Between last time I was there (10 days ago) and this time, someone swapped out most of the rapides on anchors with some absolutely gargantuous rapides. I didn't even know they made them so big. The suckers probably weigha pound each....These should work well for lowering heavy equipment I guess. If you go through soon, and are planning on setting biner blocks for single rope rappels, be sure to bring some reasonably sized rapides to swap out these monsters. Fortunately I had enough rope to double strand everything.
    Rapterman and hank moon like this.
  4. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

Naw...here's what ya need for New Birch Holler:

CMC RESCUE > FIRE RESCUE > PROSERIES® XL ALUMINUM LADDER HOOK CARABINERS

[​IMG]
    ProSeries® XL Aluminum Ladder Hook Carabiners Product Specs

Gate opening: 2.1 inches
    Interior length: 6.62 inches
    scottensign likes this.
  5. cboswel1

cboswel1

Not sure if posted anywhere yet, but there's a stuck rope of R5 (Last one before Narrows Rap) on Not Imlay. Noticed while guiding a trip in The Narrows two days ago. Anyone going through soon mind grabbing it?
    ratagonia likes this.
  6. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

I'm headed through on Thursday, if it's still there I'll grab it.
    Ram and ratagonia like this.
  7. Yellow Dart

From the bottom of the first rap in Englestead. Others in my crew (who aren't hip to this thread, or packing out others' mistakes) told me it was there when they went through some 6 weeks ago. So, Coreshot-Cal humped it up and out. Thing wasn't light, either.
    IMG-20170706-00106.

Also, this happened while cleaning the first rap. Worth the minute, I guarantee you'll chuckle.
    Bill and danf like this.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

WOW! That is a Bogen / Monfrotto tripod. A choice item, maybe the best single piece of equipment I have ever owned!!!

Mine weighs 5.2 pounds. I don't take it backpacking, much.

A little bit of vinegar should get the lime off of it, clean it up good.

Tom
  9. Ross Platt

Ross Platt

IMG_0826.JPG

All of this taken from Lower Eardley on Saturday, most from one rap. The silver webbing was tied in a square knot. I don't claim to be an expert or anything but I've never heard of using a square knot in webbing for an anchor. Can anyone enlighten me or was it just someone even less experienced than me?
  10. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

A square knot? Good grief. It's amazing that bodies aren't piling up at the bottom of every drop in slot canyons...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Taylor likes this.
  11. Ross Platt

Ross Platt

Ha, good to know that my incredulity was not due to ignorance
  12. Kuenn

Kuenn

Now, be nice. :woot: They probably had to tie it several times...first few attempts were "granny's".
    Bootboy likes this.
  13. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

At least they practiced LNT and packed out the "failures" so we don't have bodies piling up.
    Kuenn and ratagonia like this.
  14. Pictish

Pictish

Saturday morning (7/29) I noticed there was an anchor on the tree right at the head of the Englestead R1 chasm. Fresh black webbing, well tied, and a pair of fancy looking maroon rap rings. My first thought was to clean it, but decided to leave it as I couldn't remember whether or not I had read this was a legitimate anchor alternative to the preferred tree a little way out the left rim. I see now that there seems to be no real reason to rap from here. What do you do when you see this tree rigged? Is it common practice to clean it?

Also, that fawn corpse from Yellow Dart's post was propped up in the foliage at the top near the good anchor tree. Someone tied off a deer skeleton and hauled it up 300' just for yuks. Not my idea of a fun time, but to each their own.
  15. Yellow Dart

I wonder why; it was bones and leather... I could understand hauling a rotting, stanky corpse out, but that fawn was a mere bag of jerky.
  16. ratagonia

ratagonia

There are numerous ways to rap into the head of Englestead, including off any of several trees "right at the throat". Here are some options and commentary:

A. There is a smallish tree just left of the watercourse, almost overhanging the drop. I have used this but it has problems. The tree is small, and using it a lot would kill it. There is a hard iron-carbonate edge the rope passes over just out of sight, which core-shots your rope if not careful. I coreshot 3 ropes before figuring this out... I do not use this tree anymore, and I recommend against using it.

B. Several large trees are available right at the throat, but back 20' from the edge. They give a very nice line of rappel, but would require a lengthy piece of webbing to extend the ring out far enough to make for a clean pull. I use one or two of these when the ropes are to be pulled up, and the anchor webbing removed. If there is anchor webbing on one of these, feel free to remove it.

C. Downcanyon on the left side is a well-positioned tree for retrieving the rope, which is the "traditional" anchor spot for the first rappel. Rigging the webbing up at shoulder height on the tree allows for an easier start and an easier pull. Usually there will be a rainbow of webbing on this tree, often carefully rigged short at the base of the tree. Figure out what color is missing from the rainbow and use your own selection of webbing to complete the set... NOT. Please leave the tree with one black piece of webbing rigged head high in the tree. Well, it is Zion, so two decent looking pieces are pretty much the minimum...

D. Just past the well-positioned tree is another tree that often is rigged with a rainbow of webbing. It is above a shallow corner and back about 10 feet. It is usually rigged with the ring about a foot above the edge. Looking closely, you can see that there is a rope-eating crack at the edge perfectly positioned for eating the rope. Please remove any rigging you find on this tree.

Tom
    Pictish and 2065toyota like this.
  17. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

Cleaned from Lower Orderville, ZION, Aug 14, 2017. There were at least two other similar scenes in the Narrows proper, but biohazard containment resources were lacking. Place needs a janitor.

p.s. Forgot to take an "after" shot.
    p.p.s. Folks who take PooBags need to know how to use them!

afoto.

2afoto.

2nd shot shows tampon applicator waste.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  18. Alias_Rice

Alias_Rice

What the hell is wrong with people??? That is disgusting. Good on you for cleaning it up.
    Rapterman and Dave Melton like this.
  19. Yellow Dart

Was slated to do Telephunin yesterday; but spent so much time in Telephone cutting out crunchy webbing, moving anchors, etc, that we wouldn't have made it back in time for the big fight last night - so we skipped Behunin and walked down.

Over 120' of webbing, 6 rapides, and a hangar that popped clean off the bolt when I tugged. 20 of the 120' and 2 rapides were repurposed elsewhere in the canyon.

Most I've ever taken out. Am not sure why that canyon was so bad webbing-wise; perhaps because people who are good at building anchors don't do Telephone?

IMG-20170827-00221.
  20. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Last week the park service did a poop cleanup in the Narrows. They netted an impressive 24 pounds in one day. That's after it's dried out and so equates to the contribution of several dozens of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk