Send us a suggestion!

Custodianeering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hank moon, Jun 10, 2013.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

Heaps, May 2, 2017.

The last two raps in-canyon have a reasonable place to bivy between them. Looks like someone did so recently, and left a bunch of cotton clothing behind. and two flares, which we did not remove since they were spilling unknown chemical out of them. At least these were dry when I put them in my pack. But, C'mon people. Really?

Tom

HeapsBooty.
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
    hank moon, Rapterman and Bill like this.
  2. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

Perhaps whoever left them were in a bit of a hurry.
    Rapterman likes this.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

What do you know, and when did you know it??? [/snark]

:moses:
    Rapterman likes this.
  4. Rapterman

Rapterman

For those of us old enough to remember that Watergate vibe....
    :D
    Kuenn and ratagonia like this.
  5. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

"If you take cotton, also take flares"
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  6. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

Saturdays haul from the little west fork of Blue John.

IMG_20170507_093848701_HDR.
    Kevin, Rapterman and hank moon like this.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

Monday's haul from Observation Point Canyon

TrashOBS.

90 feet of 10mm rope, used to extend an anchor 40 feet. OK, I can understand about being careful about the pull on this 260 foot rappel. It looks, from the established anchor, that the pull is going to be difficult, and it does require some effort to get it going but... No reason to leave a double line of 10mm rope to do so. And the pull is fine. Maybe do a test pull before leaving so much trash behind.

:moses:
    Bill and Rapterman like this.
  8. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

@Bryan...of Zion and I will take credit for the rope.

That Mammut 'static' line is /far/ from static. It has enough bounce in it that at the bottom of that 260' rap, you have to pull a good 8' of rope through at the bottom to fully unload, so it's about 3% stretch.

What happened was last April we were going through, using that kind of rope, rapping off that bush with that anchor. Second man down, there's so much bounce in the rope (was his first canyon, not the smoothest operator) that it ground up and down on that lip, and it coreshot pretty spectacularly.

We needed every inch of the remaining rope for the last rap, so we dared not risk coreshotting again (didn't have rope protector at the time), so we left that length of rope to make sure the rest of us could rap down without damaging further rope.

When we went through again this last Saturday, the rope was in good condition, so we left it.

That rope protector was used on that ledge; alas when we pulled the rope from below, it didn't come down.

All that said, the final anchor's webbing was in poor condition, so we re-rigged it with black CUSA webbing.

For the record, anyone who asks if that's good rope, it is /not/. It runs incredible fast, even after many uses, and has a massive amount of stretch for a 'static' rope. It was purchased before I tried and fell in love with Canyonfire.

Next time maybe we'll bring 100' of webbing to extend the rap over the edge? It was sharp enough to coreshot after only 2 raps.
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

The bouncy rope => coreshot. The edges are not particularly sharp.

In the future, when you leave trash in the canyons, try to leave the least amount possible. Why not a single line of rope, rather than a loop? Makes it less of a PINTA for me to carry out later.

Now, weren't you needing to do Heaps this week?

Tom
  10. Yellow Dart

Saving Heaps and Imlay for last; have done about 35 of the about 50 cramyums in Zion. Probably toward the end of this season I'll round them out.
  11. cboswel1

cboswel1

Ran Cassidy Arch over the weekend and discovered (though it's probably been there a minute), a junk show on rap 2 (120'). It appears someone attempted to sling a chockstone (or rapped previously rigged webbing on said chockstone) off the ledge half way down rap 2 as an intermediate rappel. There were two stuck ropes and a clump of hair the size of cat at the bottom of the rap (potential unrelated). Looks like they stuck the ropes on the pull. If anyone is going through soon, might be worth checking the chockstone half way down rap 2 to clean out the ropes.
    hank moon likes this.
  12. Craig

Craig Feeling My Way

Maybe 'Tirrus' is already on the job. Where are the Olson brothers when you need them? :)
  13. Yellow Dart

Ran Keyhole / Pine Creek yesterday. Someone had fresh webbing above the first rap on bolts I'd never seen before; and webbing on the log in the middle of the first rap sequence. Both utterly unnecessary. And the white was just trashed in a weird place, so I cut it as well.

IMG-20170525-00028.
    hank moon and Bill like this.
  14. skeeter

skeeter A holed piston is just an ashtray

[​IMG]

Piece of rope I found loosely tied to a log in Behunin. Now it keeps him in check.
  15. Yellow Dart

Hope that table is bolted down.
  16. skeeter

skeeter A holed piston is just an ashtray

Don't worry the table was backed up with meat.
  17. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

Better than being bolted up
    Yellow Dart likes this.
  18. Taylor

Taylor

Cool dog. Good story Hans. But, didn't we all agree to stop saying we "ran" a canyon?
  19. Yellow Dart

That discussion must have happened a while back, as I have no recollection.

But for my end, what if you actually did run it; say, Pine Creek, 38 through and 29 out, car to car in 67 minutes?
    Taylor and hlscowboy like this.
  20. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

On the job! It seems Cassidy is having its share of near misses recently.

There was a night rescue in there from the ledge half way down Rap 2, a couple weeks ago. Seems people are pulling their ropes a bit early, and having to get creative from the shelf.

I wonder if the same thing happened with this new junk show at rap 2.
    ratagonia likes this.