Send us a suggestion!

Custodianeering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hank moon, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Isn't every cache abandoned until someone comes to get it?

Maybe no cache is ever truly abandoned...

Kind of a Schrödinger's cat situation. What state is the cache in before you find it?
  2. a.c

a.c canyonhermit

I respect a cache that's been well hidden, well protected from critters, preferably with a note detailing when it will be removed or what not. This particular 50 lb pile of trash was none of the above. It had been in place for at least five years, and thanks to rodents and a half-assed attempt at concealment, was thoroughly littering a somewhat well known cave camp.
  3. a.c

a.c canyonhermit

Some more admirable canyon trash removal by fellow Boulderites; spearheaded by Ace Kvale. Something like 14 tires in all!
    [​IMG]
  4. a.c

a.c canyonhermit

Some more admirable canyon trash removal by local Boulderites. A few winters ago some yahoos rolled a dozen large tires into middle Calf Creek from the Hogback section of Hwy 12. Local legend Ace Kvale spearheaded the removal party and took some pics to document the occasion.

Attached Files:

• 201311300021AKP.JPG
      Filename:
      201311300021AKP.JPG
      File size:
      817.9 KB
      Views:
  5. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

Your girl friend gets pissed, sometimes it's time to go. Looks like a garage sale.
  6. Eroni

Eroni

Tatahoysa.
    Here's our haul from Tatahoysa this weekend. Please remember to bring only black webbing in the Grand Canyon!
    MrAdam, Norb, John Diener and 3 others like this.
  7. Aquaman

Aquaman

[​IMG]

Pulled this at the head of the technical section of Garden Creek (GCNP) the other weekend while hiking the trail. Anchor was screamingly visible from the trail (which is totally unnecessary for Garden Creek). Additionally, the chockstone itself was questionable at best.
    hank moon, Ram and ratagonia like this.
  8. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

you scored a new shiny stainless ring, sweet.
    Aquaman likes this.
  9. Canyonero

Canyonero

This one belongs in the fraternity of marginal anchors. That is sketch!
    Aquaman likes this.
  10. Aquaman

Aquaman

Oh it absolutely does! I barely tapped it and it fell out, I was kinda amazed.
  11. ratagonia

ratagonia

That shiny stainless ring may not be a life-safety device. Looks like the kind of ring used for horse bridles. I would recommend against using it, unless you can verify it is designed and manufactured for life-safety use.

Tom
    Kuenn likes this.
  12. Aquaman

Aquaman

I didn't necessarily plan on using it for anything. I have enough equipment myself that I know the history of.
  13. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

I'd obviously have to handle and inspect it. But based in the fact that that is 1" webbing the photo, the gauge of that steel is substantial in proportion to the ring diameter and it appears, at least from here, to be a quality ring. The rings used in equine tack tend to be a much smaller gauge given that diameter.

A couple quick tests you can use to hone in on the material:

Magnet test. Most (all that in aware of) climbing rated ring hardware is made from from 300 (304 or 316) series stainless steel. It is non magnetic.

File test. Get a bastard file and run a corner of it across the ring to ascertain whether or not it is plated.

Weld inspection. Stainless rings are typically TIG welded using filler rod. Does it appear that the wire ends were smushed together? Or does it look like there was material gobbed in between the two ends? (Indicating a quality TIG weld) also look for sharp edges.

Also, is there any blueing of the steel near the weld? (indicates TIG weld and lack of zinc plating on inferior materials.)

Remember though, unless you know, don't risk it.

When in doubt, ship it to me.
    skiclimb3287 likes this.
  14. ratagonia

ratagonia

Since my life means quite a bit to me, I use a more reliable method. Throw it away (if it is not something you recognize as being a life-safety-designed item).

:moses: :moses: :moses:
    Kevin, Jman and Dave Melton like this.
  15. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

But if you do recognize it as such...

I feel that I could comfortably determine the worthiness of the ring upon personal inspection. But I also recognize that I have much more exposure to and experience with these things than the average canyoneer. I was just dorking out on some of the finer points of metallurgy...

That's why I said, unless you know, don't risk it.
  16. Wes1

Wes1

[​IMG]

All from a weekend in the superstitions, including a rap ring with the price tag still attached.
    hank moon and ratagonia like this.
  17. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Sorry no pictures, but...

We did No Kidding yesterday and removed several pieces of fixed webbing. The rope grooves in there are getting worse. They are so easily mitigated... c'mon folks

Also replaced 2 anchors in Hogwarts that were over 18 months old with new, black webbing and proper rapides. More work needed in there. I didn't have enough webbing or a digging implement.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  18. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Addendum to previous post:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448838626.272262. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448838635.660545.
  19. Wes1

Wes1

Parallel play canyon [​IMG]
    Ram likes this.
  20. Chris Grove

Chris Grove Yes, anytime.

The pile is missing a couple quicklinks and a rap ring. With a couple quicklinks being used in building new anchors.
    ratagonia and Ram like this.