Send us a suggestion!

Custodianeering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hank moon, Jun 10, 2013.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

Nice job, thank you.

T
    Tumbleweed likes this.
  2. NevadaSlots

NevadaSlots

The haul from Cherry canyon, way to many second and third webbing additions at most anchors. 45694E77-BD37-4A84-BBD9-46835E6D6AA8.
    Tumbleweed and ratagonia like this.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

Wow! That is quite a haul!
    NevadaSlots likes this.
  4. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Drifting Along...

Pulled this colorful bunch out of the Roost and North Wash last week and replaced with black climb-spec as needed, as well as added extensions to some anchors that were causing rope drag issues. Found some static tag line and ATC booty too
    custodianeering-dec-2020.

QUESTION: The last few pics are of an old ugly handline with plenty more rusty quicklinks and redundant webbing than ever necessary, found over in S. Fork Robbers Roost on R5. Another clean rap anchor was about 10' away, but this "gem" still lingers. I'll gladly yank this lot out of there if it is considered acceptable to the Collective. Will also consider replacing with a better/safer handline if that is the preferred ethic to existing lines (though I find it unnecessary in this fork and would rather not). Opinions? ...hadn't been down this fork before until last week, but it sure seemed out of place...

As a side note, lots of recent rock etchings at the trailhead spring (2020 specifically), some overlapping the classic cowboy names too, and plenty more people left their mark down the first few raps...shameful for such a pretty area

-Brent

southforkrobbersroost-1. southforkrobbersroost-2. southforkrobbersroost-3.
    hank moon likes this.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

That is quite a haul, thanks.

You do not need our opinion to clean up and pack out trash, even strange trash. You removed a bunch of trash above and it would be strange for someone to object to you removing trash, especially if you left each of the anchors in good repair.

But (twist my arm) here is my opinion on the matter:

In a Wilderness setting, there is a general consensus (informed by the Wilderness Act of 1964) that while it is acceptable to leave behind the minimum intrusion that allows access, stuff beyond that is trash. So a few slings and bolts where necessary for passage down the canyon are acceptable, while leaving more than minimal webbing (etc.) is not. Specific interpretations vary considerably about what constitutes "minimal".

If this all looked brand new like someone left it yesterday, you might be concerned that you were helping a foolish person who expected that junk to be there get themselves in trouble, if you removed it. In the picture, it looks like this has been there a while.

If you want to leave fixed lines for access, for convenience, in strict jurisdictions there is usually a short time window allowed, 24 or 48 hours. The Roost is not a strict jurisdiction. But if you want other people to leave your fixed lines, you should leave a note on the rope stating when you left it and when you will be back. Good communication prevents unrealized expectations.

You should also, perhaps, consider the details of the location, when choosing to remove trash or not. If it really is a "trap" location, give it greater leeway. In this instance, it seems like it would allow access to another section of S Fork between the 4th and 5th rappel, which is very much non-critical, unless there is an escape to the rim there that someone might be counting on.

Tom
    Tumbleweed likes this.
  6. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Drifting Along...

Much appreciated on the feedback/opinion time, and as such, I'll be clearing that one out the next time we head down (looking to plan out a long 1-way starting from SFRR, just reascended it this time through)...unless of course someone beats us to it :happy: I mean, who WOULDN'T want that fine collection of booty for their own

-Brent
    ratagonia likes this.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

8. Sutitan

Sutitan

Filled up 35L with some sort of insulation, misc dog items (chewed up frisbee, poop bag dispenser, ball), some cans/bottles, and other misc trash from in my last canyon.

Also grabbed a pair of iPhones and a pink nalgene in another canyon. iPhones were both in pieces/flooded but the Nalgene was in tact and has become one of our reliable canyon water bottles. Ill have to see if I dont have the phones still sitting around somewhere.

PXL_20210710_224801054-min.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  9. Jon Adams

Jon Adams CanyonSlacker

10. winchestertonfield

winchestertonfield

I found this in a remote side canyon of the Escalante. I didn't clean it up, but it might be worthy of a rock hammer if someone is so inclined. It's about 16"x12" and the box is quite deep. I found it while exploring alone at night and it was quite a surprise to find. cotwa.
    Jenny and hank moon like this.
  11. ratagonia

ratagonia

(FACEPALM)
  12. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

13. Eroni

Eroni

Hi there,

I'm a ranger with BLM in Grand Staircase-Escalante. I saw your post about graffiti near the Escalante river. I work closely with the folks from Glen Canyon and depending on who's boundaries this graffiti falls in, I can make sure its documented and dealt with. Thank you for not conducting your own removal as such things can be delicate and require a degree of expertise.
    Please email me at ehowarth@blm.gov with the following information:
    -Location of graffiti (coordinates, and general locating information such as side of canyon, proximity to prominent features, etc)
    -Date that you found it
    -Best way to contact you in case we have more questions.

Thank you
    Eran Howarth
    Backcountry Ranger, BLM Grand Staircase-Escalante
  14. Jenny

Jenny

To add to Eran's wisdom-
    Folks, please be aware that there are historical inscriptions of true relevance that can be confused with "modern graffiti. One example of many is that there was a significant inscription removed near North Wash along with other graffiti. Another sad example, I joined a group of folks to assist a ranger in Snow Canyon to remove graffiti from a popular view point. There was no emphasis or education about the historical inscriptions covering the walls from the early settlers of the area. My attempts to consider this was wasted. These 100 yo inscriptions are now lost.

I am not saying the above image is historically relevant. I encourage documentation, as Eran suggests BEFORE any vigilante removal takes place. There are inscription/historian experts that can verify and are attempting to compile documentation as we try to put together the historical routes of the early explorers etc..

I truly appreciate that people have good intentions and I totally agree with the disgust shared with the desecration of our beloved canyons and walls.
  15. Eroni

Eroni

P
    Thanks for going into a bit of the “why”, Jenny! If anyone has questions or more graffiti to report see my reply above for my work email.
    ratagonia likes this.
  16. bruce from bryce

bruce from bryce

Saw a couple of rings in the booty above. Don't you just love to hear the sound of a ring bouncing down a canyon: bong, bong, bong, kersplash!
  17. ratagonia

ratagonia

Not Imlay Canyon, 10-3-2021
    Not Imlay Trash Oct2021 900.
    Craig_C and hank moon like this.
  18. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

19. qedcook

qedcook

Nimlay. I like that name much better than Not Imlay.
  20. Craig_C

Craig_C

I saw that rope hanging from Nimlay into the narrows on Sunday morning. The neon rope was cut higher up than I can imagine anyone being able to reach and tied with a double fisherman to the white rope. So much curiosity running through me head has led me to conjure all manner of adventures that left the rope stuck there. Did a party intend to do Imlay via right sneak route and inadvertently and up in Nimlay? I'd really like know what went wrong. Of course only to avoid the mistakes myself. (Inquiring minds want to know)