Send us a suggestion!

Current Conditions North Wash

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael Eastern, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Michael Eastern

Michael Eastern

Checking in to see if anyone has been through North Wash recently. We're planning descents of blarney, leprechaun, cassidy arch, hogwarts, and possibly shillelagh between Christmas and New Years, and I'm hoping to get a sense of how much water is in the canyons (hopefully none) and snow coverage (I'm expecting none right now, but possibly picking up some later this week?).
    Thanks everyone.
  2. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Ram likes this.
  3. Michael Eastern

Michael Eastern

Will do. Thanks and looking forward to meeting some of you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ram likes this.
  4. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

looks like a little weather went through. The Henrys got snow but I don't know how much precip, if any, fell in the rainshadow.
    Ram and Michael Eastern like this.
  5. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    Ram likes this.
  6. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

The Moab area received over a foot of snow yesterday, Arches and Canyonlands are currently closed to vehicle traffic. Not sure how much the N wash got, but if this is any indicator. Looking NE from the Island in the Sky toward The Swell.

FullSizeRender.
  7. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Wow!
  8. Ram

Ram

Never knew there was a camera there.

Slots filling with snow happen two ways that I know of. One is a storm like the one Josh reported in the Arches area (Josh, you making a cameo next week?).

The other is when there is only a couple of inches of dry (Colder temps) snow, accompanied by BIG winds. Looks like the temperature was right (Low to mid 20's), but don't know about the wind. It is calm now and will be going forward, or at least the forecast says so. Also don't know if there was enough snow lower down by Sandthrax. Likely not. Probably enough snow up toward Cedar Point and the upper Butler's, maybe Poison Spring canyons, if the wind blew big, when the snow fell.
    See y'all mid week.
    R
    Tirrus, Michael Eastern, Erin and 2 others like this.
  9. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

At this juncture the only part of Freezefest I would be able to attend is Jan 1, and I can't even promise that one. Definitely want to hone my cold weather canyon ability though.

Got a ride into Hanksville the other day from a local, who said "That Canyon Ice Bowl Festival be coming next week, they always be calling us out on searches during that party."

Wacky fun.
    EvergreenDean likes this.
  10. Ram

Ram

FAKE NEWS!!!

Where do they come up with this stuff?
    The BLM used to stock the Hog Springs bathrooms every two weeks around Christmas to New Years. Now they do it weekly. That and all the firewood in Hanks is gone fast. More food sales at Stan's.
    A few more rooms rented at the Whispering Sands, by folks...never mind. Bad Ram. Be nice.
    Lets see....maybe an average of 4 different trips per day for ten days, for 15 years...Maybe 600 trips?
    At the risk of jinxing it, the Fest has been free of mishap. High jinx? Yes, plenty of that.
    The late nights around camp strike me as being the most dangerous time. That and evening "cow dodging" driving on the road.
    I can think of one minor hypothermia, caught early and mitigated in 10 minutes. Plenty of scabs. A snowy escape from Shenanigan's that could have been interesting if we were 15 minutes later. Did you know that a slung wrapped rock, laying on snow, even with great geometry, has less friction than a rock laying on no snow? That created a game of "see-saw" once. Probably some other of the usual fare. Anyone have a story to add? In the canyons please. Don't scare away the nice people with "after dark" tales from the crypt. No, we have been lucky and maybe a little smart so far. Hopefully going forward too.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  11. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Last year an unnamed canyoneer locked their keys in the car at the Black Hole. As the sun set, we drove to Hite, found a maintenance guy, asked them to call a locksmith in Blanding, who then drove out got the car open. Nonetheless, he was given a very generous tip for his efforts.

No doubt the margin is thin. Small mishaps have potential to turn seriously epic. We take care to make sure we explain the risks thoroughly, have lots of redundancies and always look out for each other. That said, an accident can still happen. Lots of people say we are careless and stupid, and they are probably right.

But there has never been a "search" called out. (said with the humility of someone who suffered a very serious compound fracture of my arm in a very minor fall while backpacking this spring - it doesn't take much)
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Kevin and Ram like this.
  12. Ram

Ram

Oh I forgot the keys locked in the car on the first. Happened another time too. Also we broke our own rule of not having the last person leaving a place, start their car before the next to last person left. Ooops. That time the last car did NOT start and they had a long day in Hite scrounging up help
    It is all good...till it isn't
    The locked key in the car story (link at bottom of the post), from FreezeFest III
    http://canyoncollective.com/threads/best-of-2013.18959/#post-78930
  13. EvergreenDean

EvergreenDean Master of the obvious

Sweet! A real Freezefest this year. Tirrus, can we expect your company at the event?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk