Send us a suggestion!

News Critr2 now an Imlay Canyon Gear product

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ratagonia, May 8, 2019.

1. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

When I started caving, I used non-SS bars on my brake bar rack. The bars did rust, but to no ill effect. The rope path always stayed shiny due to frequent (SRT only) use. Possible advantages of stainless: aesthetics and more wet-abuse-tolerant (e.g. spends week stored in a wet pack). A clear disadvantage is that SS is significantly harder to machine than most non-SS steels.

If I wanted a steel device, I'd settle for plain, uncoated steel. If it were an existing design (e.g. CRITR), I'd want the shape to be scaled/modified, especially the head, to compensate for friction difference between Al and steel. Not seeing any practical benefit to a Ti version.
  2. Kuenn

Kuenn

Thanks for the offer, the Ti plug was more for the novelty aspect - I agree with Hank’s reported assessment. I would, however, be interested in a steel option.

(Frankly, the only Ti gear I own (if results are consistent) would work best for me in canyons that hook to the left.)
  3. Canyonero

Canyonero

Just increased durability. I'm halfway through my third CRITR2, the one I won for learning how to tie a water knot so quickly.
    Rapterman, utahpow and ratagonia like this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

I hear you get out quite a bit...

Tom
  5. Canyonero

Canyonero

Not really, but I have a reputation for being hard on gear. Speaking of which, I'm getting ready for another Heaps pack. You put those ceramic plates in the back corners yet?
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

Some love with the Through the Roof on the clean brand new pack might be helpful.

Not so useful on the Critr.

Tom
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
  7. Canyonero

Canyonero

Yea, that's a standard now. The other issue is the keg on the inside. If only I could competently use a dry bag...
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

The Peregrine drybags I have now are more easily competented.

Tom
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

Back to the Critr2...

The next batch of Critrs is at the anodizer being made pretty, and we are on schedule to have them available for sale October 10th (ish, most likely).

I have opened up ordering for those on the CanyoneeringUSA store. Four colors available: Blue Teal, Slime Green, Gold and Orange.

I am working with the vendor to see how we can manage the production better.

Tom

CW Critr H1200.