Send us a suggestion!

Crews rescue 3 hikers / Capitol Reef May 26. 2019

Discussion in 'Accidents and Near Misses' started by ratagonia, May 26, 2019.

1. gajslk

gajslk

You know, whether you admit it or not, that you've done something dumb when you're afraid to tell your story. A reasonable approach might be: "I know we did a dumb thing, but here's how we got there ..." That could help others who might fall into the same trap.
    Ram likes this.
  2. Chris Hood

Chris Hood

I will volunteer to be the impetus for making the sport uncool. Certain members of this forum have some fine “fat canyoneer” shots of me in otherwise cool canyons.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

Often each step in the sequence makes sense... until the result.
    Kuenn, gajslk and Ram like this.
  4. rick

rick

Julie has declined to join the group at this time but has given me permission to post our brief conversation on FB. She is likely open to answering questions or giving more details at some point if everyone is understanding and not overly judgemental.

Me:
    Julie, I read your comment on the rescue in Death Hollow. In the interest of helping other fellow canyoneers learn from your experience would you consider writing a post giving details about your experience? Here is a link to an ongoing thread on the Canyon collective forum.
    ---
    Julie:
    Personally, I don't appreciate being called a cold and wet turon by Rick T. I hope that isn't you. We had wetsuits on and we are experienced hikers/canyoneers. The information Rick T stated on his write up is inaccurate! The ranger station told us the water was only ankle to thigh deep so we were misinformed. Also, two of the women had hiked part of the trail two weeks prior and it was not deep water. We don’t need any lectures about being stupid. We had the gear necessary. It just took longer than we thought to get through the slots in this canyon and we knew bad weather was coming. We made the right call before things got really bad or would not be here today. Maybe someone will learn from our experience and get a PLB so they don't die if something unthinkable happens.

I should restate that we knew there would be some swimmers so that is why we had wetsuits and webbing for downclimbs and float tubes for floating gear and helping us in the deep water areas. We lost our webbing near the time we started to get hypothermia symptoms and thought it best to get up on a shelf where we could get out of our wet clothes and see if we could set up camp. Then we saw it best to call for help. That is why we carried the beacon and we were told by SAR that we did the right thing.
    ---
    Me:
    I am the "Rick"in this thread not Rick T. You would be treated with respect and consideration if you posted your account of the trip on the thread. The forum is for us all to share our experiences both good and bad and to share insights and wisdom. We all have made decision we have regretted. I have two tales of woe and intrigue that are infamous in the level of poor decisions made ( but lessons were learned). I hope you reconsider and post to the group. It would benefit us all and isn't that what it is all about.
    ---
    Julkie:
    The only Rick I see on the link you sent was Rick T who called us cold and wet turons and stated inaccurate information. All the write-ups I've read about our experience have inaccurate information. I don't know how to share to the forum. How would I do that?
    ---
    Julie:
    Ok, I see your post now.
    ---
    Me:
    You would have to join the group. I don't know how long you have been canyoneering and if you are aware of the history of it the last 40 years? It is a bit of an interesting history of different groups with different ethics/philosophies and histories. This forum and website was started by the faction that has pushed for minimal impact to the environment while canyoneering and for new techniques and equipment to do so. If you need any assistance in signing up let me know, but it is pretty easy.

BTW, there is no better way to get the truth out than starting with this group. Rick Green is part of the group and a good friend of many of us.
    ---
    Julie:
    I have been canyoneering a lot for 3 years now, backpacking for 7 years, and hiking for many more than that. Rick Green was very kind to us when he was involved in the rescue early Monday morning. Everyone was so nice that helped us. We didn't want to call for help, but we would not have made it if we had not. We made the call before we were in dire straights. That is why we did not require medical attention. We obviously should not have been in that canyon this weekend. We know that now that we had that experience. No one should have been in there this time of year. Rick Green told us to please call the Ranger Station and complain that they gave us inaccurate information. He said they have done that a lot and it is causing problems like this because people rely on that information and then get into trouble because of it.
    ---
    Julie:
    Yes, you can copy what I said. Thanks.

If anyone wants further clarification, let me know.
  5. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

5FC17B4A-3439-418C-A971-207839B4B362.
    I said that 4 years ago
  6. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

Wow blaming the ranger station at the end.!???? that is irresponsibility at its finest. Here’s a thought what if the two ladies who had done part of the hike 2 weeks before lied about what conditions were? People lie about stuff to get people to go.
    I gotta agree the Escalante interagency is terrible. I’ve personally seen one gal tell a rental RV they could make it to dry form trailhead easily. Which is not the case at all. Again “if ya gotta ask a ranger ya got no business doing it”
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

(facepalm)

A big thank you to Wisconny Johnny for re-affirming Julie's decision to not interact with the forum directly because it was full of assholes.

It should be noted that Rick T often runs off at the mouth and many of us have learned to not take it personally. A careful parsing of his language can interpret what he said as not being personal to you (Julie) specifically, but it can be interpreted the other way too.

Quite a bit of the misinformation came directly from the Sheriff's report. I thought people on this forum had figured out that Sheriff's and other SAR reports are often inaccurate. Just as what is reported in the newspaper is often inaccurate. But I suppose when dubious details support our firmly-held beliefs, we are not very skeptical of their accuracy.

Mostly, Thank you Julie for a first-hand report, and for doing the smart thing and getting your crew out of there before the Dire Wolf came knocking on your door.

Tom
  8. EvergreenDean

EvergreenDean OK with what happens

This seems to be wrong thread. Julie, what canyon were you rescued from? This thread is the Strike 2 rescue, right? Seems she was the Box Death Hollow wilderness rescue, where folks have been trying to figure out exactly which canyon the folks were in (lower Box of Pine Creek vs Death Hollow).
  9. EvergreenDean

EvergreenDean OK with what happens

And yes please do not take folks like Rick T or Wisconny personally. There are many kind people on this site. Let the dogs bark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. ratagonia

ratagonia

Some mixing occurred. T
  11. _madeleine

_madeleine

Hey guys. I know this thread is buried and chances are that no one cares anymore. But, I’m one of the Strike 2 canyoneers. I can tell you that the rescue report and the Facebook post were woefully inaccurate, and I’d be willing to answer people’s questions about the incident.
    Dan Ransom likes this.
  12. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

PM sent

@_madeleine
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  13. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

Thanks for getting on here Madeleine. Would you be willing to work with the CAC folks and put together an ICAD incident report?
    EvergreenDean likes this.