Send us a suggestion!

Creative Problem Solving 201-a

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by ratagonia, Dec 7, 2017.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

You are in a canyon. You have overnight gear, since this is a 2-day adventure. You have ropes since there is a 200' rappel up ahead somewhere. You have two competent people.

The canyon narrows to a squeeze-through type canyon. You start to squeeze through and realize that while you just barely fit, your pack definitely does not. You can see the canyon drops 20 feet into the dark ahead, something you are pretty sure you can safely downclimb. Ahead of that, you can see it opens out, then turns into a 5 foot wide corridor with a flat sandy bottom for at least 20 feet.

One person climbs over the top and as far forward as is safe. Below that point, the canyon is still too narrow for packs.

What do you do?
    Rapterman likes this.
  2. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

Check for traps, then ask the CM for more info. :)
    Tom Collins likes this.
  3. gajslk

gajslk

Since taking two trips through with a half-empty pack is clearly a waste of time and effort, the right answer is obviously to empty your pack and tie all of your gear to one of the ropes, say a piece or two every few feet. Be careful to wrap the bolt kit in your air mattress to protect it from scratches. Now go through the narrow section, dragging all your stuff behind you like a bridal train. If there's a pothole available, be sure to dunk everything in the water first, to reduce friction against the rock. :D

Another idea would be to take all the extra crap you brought that you don't need and leave it behind for someone else to carry out. That's actually a super efficient solution. I might have to go with this one. ;)
    Ultra Static, Kuenn and Rapterman like this.
  4. Rapterman

Rapterman

You FUNNY!
    :D
  5. Canyonero

Canyonero

Empty the pack. Am I missing something? I've never had a pack or anything in one that I couldn't make as skinny as my chest with some rearranging.
    Rapterman and Kuenn like this.
  6. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

If the canyon is too narrow for packs then its narrow enough to keep stemming forward, just keep going until it widens enough to lower the packs and then retreat go down and squeeze forward to the packs.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

I was not the one that climbed up, but the report was that what you suggest was not possible.

T
  8. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Interesting, can you post more details if you can get them from the person that went up. I guess if it got narrow high up that might make forward progress too hard and still be tight for packs too low.
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

I think you are starting to understand why this is a problem.
    Tom Collins likes this.