Send us a suggestion!

Creative Problem Solving 101-a

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by ratagonia, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

AKA: Macrame?

#shorthaul
  2. The Dread Pirate Roberts

The Dread Pirate Roberts

How about everyone except the last person is lowered then rap the last part of the rope. For the last person down: tie a 120 to the 200, use a large biner that the knots can pass through at the anchor, set the rope up as if it was double strand rap, then anchor the pull side of the rope at the bottom of the rap. The last person raps the rap side of the rope (passing the knot), untie the anchor at the bottom, and pull hoping the knot goes through the biner.o_O One biner left behind.
    darhawk and ratagonia like this.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

Good. And also, the last person does not have to pass a knot. They can set up just below the knot, which is just below the anchor, and be lowered from the ground anchor until the main rope touches the ground, then rappel from there.

I have done this. A bit spooky. Helps to use a large round-stock biner (old style Attache). Might be necessary for that carabiner to be hanging in free air.

Tom
    darhawk likes this.
  4. The Dread Pirate Roberts

The Dread Pirate Roberts

Even better!
  5. clangingsymbol

clangingsymbol

This one seems pretty easy. Getting noobs down is not discussed, but not the hard part. Getting everyone down is the easy part. Getting your ropes takes just a little thought.
    • Put two tails of one 120 through the quick link.
    • Double the 200 through the looped end of that rope. Make sure the ends touch the ground. That makes it an estimated 95 feet of rope (half of the 200 with knot considered) plus 55 feet of rope (half of one of the 120) up one side to the anchor.
    • Tie the other two 120s together with one side tied to the tails of the rope through the anchor. Now you have plenty to rap on.
    • You have to pass the knot on the way down, but no problem for ratagonia!!!
    • Someone must tie into the bottom of the core shot rope to keep it from pulling. Would that be a "Human Block"??? I guess just a meat anchor!!!
    • Once everyone is on the ground, pull the 200 through the looped rope. This leaves no knots below the anchor in one side of the rope (but there is a loop...so be careful).
    • Now, pull the side with the two 120s tied together.
    Problem solved. Now, untie, coil (or stuff), continue down canyon to dinner and home. No gear left. Complete write up on the Collective to share the experience. Make sure pictures are included!!! Order replacement rope from Imlay Canyon Store.
    darhawk likes this.
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

I use the nomenclature "Ground Anchored". Whatever way it is done (usually easily with meat), the important point is that the anchor is on the ground, ie, at the bottom of the rappel.

Tom
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

If I parse it correctly, it is like this:

Creative - check.

There are of course a few issues:

A. Will the loop pull through the upper ring (yes, if it is big enough)

B. Will pulling the 90' of the 200' rope mess up the center of the 120' rope? (hard to say, maybe yes, maybe no. Wetting it might make it better)

Tom

Problem Solved.
    darhawk and clangingsymbol like this.
  8. clangingsymbol

clangingsymbol

That is almost exactly the picture i drew on the back of my calendar at work!!!

I should have included a "test the pull through the anchor before committing to this plan" in my write up!!!

My concern was also the pulling of the rope. Question: If pulled it slowly, would that mitigate the "messing"?
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

Maybe. Maybe not. Hard to say without giving it a try. Perhaps a good place for using that all-Technora sheath rope.

Tom
    clangingsymbol likes this.
  10. gajslk

gajslk

Or a quick link, so long as the one up top is large enough.

Gordon